Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part V]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Yeah but Carolina did that tactically as it was the first week of free agency and Montreal had actual options to potentially go after, at this point in free agency though? What's Carolina gonna go out and spend 6 million on, Galchenyuk? I think it's genuinely just a really good offer sheet that has given the Canadiens pause
Fail to sign a former 3rd overall Montreal bust and settle on another?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah but Carolina did that tactically as it was the first week of free agency and Montreal had actual options to potentially go after, at this point in free agency though? What's Carolina gonna go out and spend 6 million on, Galchenyuk? I think it's genuinely just a really good offer sheet that has given the Canadiens pause

Well, maybe Dvorak or Tarasenko, but they were already looking at those markets and decided on the upside play in Kotkaniemi, so yeah...there's nothing else all that enticing to use the cap room for outside of this offer sheet. I mean, maybe they could've went for Tkachuk or Pettersson instead, but there was no good excuse to send a sheet their way if going by the unwritten rules. KK was just the perfect storm and the exact situation ripe for an imminently acceptable and fair game offer sheet.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Toronto got dinged for Wilson saying he/the Leafs were interested in the Sedins going to free agency
NHL fines Maple Leafs for tampering
though, contrary to that headline, the League did clarify, it was not full-on organizational tampering, like they were actually sneaking behind Vancouver's backs and negotiating with the players, just inappropriate public comments
NHL statement on Leafs' tampering allegations

Vancouver then, 7 years later, got hit for similar charges for discussing the possibility of signing Stamkos and Lucic
Canucks fined $50,000 by NHL for violating tampering by-law - Sportsnet.ca

Those are the only open sanctions I can remember

It's a pretty open secret that teams talk to UFAs before the actual free agency period - in fact, so many players signing long term deals the minute free agency opened became such a blight, the League created an official interview period where teams and players could openly talk about each others' interests, just not salary specifics; the League just scrapped that as teams were clearly talking compensation and specifics anyway.
Yet, even though window was "not being used properly", as per the NHL, no tampering charges came out of it.
It seems they only really care if something is mentioned publicly; otherwise, everyone does it.
St.Louis was fined a first round pick for tampering with Scott Stevens.
I believe that pick eventually turned into Zack Parsie but it may have involved the Devils trading up

Reactions: uncleben

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Wait, Kotkaniemi can still sign with the Habs and snitch on the Canes for tampering if that’s what they did, which their fans openly believe to be true?

That would be funny.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
St.Louis was fined a first round pick for tampering with Scott Stevens.
I believe that pick eventually turned into Zack Parsie but it may have involved the Devils trading up

Correct. They had pick 22 and traded up to 17

Reactions: cyris

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If they don't match, then they better sign their other good RFA's before they can also be signed to offer sheets.

Once GM's smell blood in the water...
A rule of thumb, if you pay double you'll get the player.

Even 12m might get Suzuki. It'll cost ya 4 1sts but it's probably worth it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If they don't match, then they better sign their other good RFA's before they can also be signed to offer sheets.

GMing isn't nearly as cutthroat as it's made to be. Even this sheet was designed as a pure deterrence play against a GM that basically treated us like some backward, bumpkin franchise, not as some nu-age standard for how teams will be put together.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
You have to file paperwork with the League office. They take deadlines seriously. If you file paperwork day of and there's an error that is not rectified before before deadline passes, it's as if you didn't match.

This isn't evidence of anything, but if you were matching, why leave it to chance that an error might screw up your plans?

I'm sure all the paperwork was ready and triple checked way before today dont you think

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

This is stupid - if they don’t match they’re not in any sort of cap trouble.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Feels like the countdown to new years

hqdefault.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Tatar had ten goals and 30 points last year, didn’t play in the playoffs. You are right though, I just didn’t see him as being much of a piece.
And Tatar’s 30 points made him the 4th leading scorer on the Habs.

And Perry is gone too, and he had 21 points (9G 12A) in the regular season and 10 points (4G 6A), the 4th most on the team, in the PO.

And getting into the playoffs is what has to be the focus, the top four in the Atlantic is real tough and there’s only going to be 4 spots unless things go wrong for a bunch of teams in the Metro.

It’s not like the Habs are the only team to deal with losses, and Caufield only played 10 games later and Gallagher only played 35, but Hoffman isn’t just a fun addition. That was my only point.

Goaltending will make a ton of difference though, if Price is feeling frisky in the regular season and Allen plays really well then they could really surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad