Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part III]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Again... If He's producing at a 4.75M$ pace... and he's 22, why would he take less @ CAR? Get your QO @ 6.1, or it the UFA market and sign for more then 4.75 on a longer deal. Some team would give it to him
If he really likes it in Carolina? If he's not convinced the market is there for the amount of years offered by Carolina? Who knows. Elliotte Friedman said that they already had these conversations with Kotkaniemi. The pay cut for a longer deal is not unreasonable. In the end, players are not always signing for the biggest ticket out there. They might eat a few million in the total value of their contract, if team is otherwise desirable.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Bergervin knows that not signing Kotkaniemi will cost him his job.
He has no choice but to match the offer sheet even if he doesn't believe it is the right move.
Taking the picks just sets up his replacement to succeed.

What a weird way to look at this. Paying 6M to Kotkaniemi is a sign of incompetence.

Hopefully both Bergevin and Molson see this.

Reactions: nyhabsfan and Ciao

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I get the emotions going back and forth, but somewhere there must have been covered if Montreal — can — match it? And if they would have to move someone — who would that be?

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I like it from Jesperi Kotkaniemi's perspective. He's the real winner here.

Montreal loses.

Carolina also loses if Montreal doesn't match.

That's the thing... he probably lost big time here.

We has going to get all the ice time he could handle and his choice assortment of offensive wingers (Drouin, Gallagher, Hoffman, Toffoli, Andersen), PP2 time and virtually no competition for his position. Instead he gets buried on a team that's much deeper at C and will get a ton of scrutiny because of his salary. This is NOT about him being rewarded for his good play because he had a lousy regular season and was a non factor (or a negative one) in the last two rounds of the playoffs.

I'm sorry but it's just dumb. He's going to get so much attention and almost no chance to actually prove himself.

Jul 6, 2016
Could the Habs try to get Ryan Suzuki instead of a 1st + a 3rd rounders ?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It really doesn't. If this was all Dundons doing, he might as well become the GM himself because this was a brilliant move that has a ton of upside for Carolina. Which is why I don't buy that report that this was initiated by Dundon. Waddell was the guy, he maybe got the ok from Dundon.
The only way it has an upside for Carolina is if Kotkaniemi emerges as a strong top-6 C this season. If not, Carolina has blown $6.1M during their contending window.

Multiple source have confirmed Dundon was behind this move. Most fans would agree it's not the ideal chain of command when it comes to hockey moves.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The $6.1-million sends the message that Carolina will retaliate.

The $20 sends the message that Dundon is an asshole. Other than that, it doesn't really add anything.
100%, he's adding insult to injury. No one said he's a classy guy.

I think the only thing heard loud and clear is that Carolina's hockey decisions are hijacked by a meddling, emotional owner. Imagine taking a business move so personally that you jeopardize your team's cap structure.
He protected his future assets, made sure no one messes with his RFA negotiations, made sure no one makes a less than a serious offer to his RFA players that will make him pay more than what he's comfortable with, hurt our center depth if we don't match, screwed us financially if we do match, made a bigger fool of our GM than he already was and sent a message to the league that he's a petty prick and will go to great lengths to embarrass you if you mess with him.

He didn't jeopardize his cap structure, no player on the Canes is going to use that as a benchmark, the message behind it is clear as daylight. He made sure of that.

It's a brilliant move and being a dick about it with the $20 and copy/pasting the Aho OS press release is the cherry on top.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
carolina finished 21 points ahead of montreal in a shortend season, in a stronger division, they arnt jeopardizing anything with this
They've committed top-6 money to a player who hasn't shown he's ready for top-6 duties. I appreciate the entertainment value in an offer sheet and the $20 bonus is funny, but this is supposed to be the Canes' contending window, no? $6.1M is a big cap hit that could've been better spent if they're hoping to win now.

Reactions: 1909

Jul 6, 2016
they want to win the Stanley Cup this year. I think that they might be able to sign him for a longer term and pay less per year later on if the organization gives him a role he wants and because there are also Finns in the team. He wasn't happy in Montreal.

Having Finn's teammates doesn't make the difference. Habs have Lehkonen , Armia, and also Ylonen and Kapanen in the pipeline.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If KK is let go, I can see Pettersson getting an offer sheet. Montreal has about 9 million left in LTIR relief. Canucks can't fit Pettersson and Hughes on the roster unless they both take bridges.
The plan all along was going to be that they were going to take bridge contracts, from what I've been aware of...I'm not convinced EP would agree to a Habs OS anyway...Looks like a team thats headed for a rebuild shortly.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
What a weird way to look at this. Paying 6M to Kotkaniemi is a sign of incompetence.

Hopefully both Bergevin and Molson see this.

Bergevin knows that the Canadiens are going to be in tough to make the playoffs this year and the loss of Kotkatniemi, along with their own lack of internal center depth and what is available via trade, it is almost positive that they miss.
Bergevin's only hope of surviving is in matching the OS and making the playoffs, after the Canadiens miracle 2021 playoffs the fan base will demand he be fired if they don't make the playoffs in 2021-2022.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

He protected his future assets, made sure no one messes with his RFA negotiations, made sure no one makes a less than a serious offer to his RFA players that will make him pay more than what he's comfortable with, hurt our center depth if we don't match, screwed us financially if we do match, made a bigger fool of our GM than he already was and sent a message to the league that he's a petty prick and will go to great lengths to embarrass you if you mess with him.

He didn't jeopardize his cap structure, no player on the Canes is going to use that as a benchmark, the message behind it is clear as daylight. He made sure of that.

It's a brilliant move and being a dick about it with the $20 and copy/pasting the Aho OS press release is the cherry on top.
Offer sheets are business as usual – the only reason they don't happen often is because there's a potential $$ backlash, not because any GM is worried about hurting another GM's feelings. Most GMs are ex-players – you think they're intimidated by Dundon? Offer sheets will continue with or without his blessings.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

If you call this brilliant...your team gets what it deserves with that crap goaltending.

Should've worried more about that than some 3C that doesn't move the needle at all.

Great allocation of assets. Clown of the year award IMHO.

I can't wait for the nanny nanny boo-boo tweets from Carolina's owner.

SMDH...kids in elementary school are more mature.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013

Then next year we go at necas who in my opinion is a better player rn

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Kotkaniemi would be a complete idiot to not sign this contract. He's guaranteed millions more than he had any business getting at this point and has a lot more control on his finances past this deal as well than he would likely have in regular circumstances. I'm sure he's more comfortable than anyone else about this, barring his agent.
That's dumb. He could have said "I want to play for your team but could we remove the bonus joke, I'm not comfortable..."

Of course, I don't blame him for signing for 6. 1M, that's not my point.

Reactions: Ciao

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
No, of course not.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal just walk away.

Kotkaniemi shouldn't have signed a contract with such an obvious barb as a $20 signing bonus if he were interested in going back to Montreal.

Who wants a player that doesn't want to be on your team anyway?
The team cut his minutes in the regular season despite producing, benched him in the playoffs in favor of a washed up, non producing Eric Staal. Beregvin called him out in media not even a month ago. They started this, not him.

And I'm pretty sure that $20 was non negotiable, it's pretty clear why it's there. And even if it was, signing the contract with it there is KK sending a message of his own to MB for calling him out. Also, who would walk away from 3x the salary because the team he's on with a GM that takes shots at him in the media might get their feelings hurt?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think the only thing heard loud and clear is that Carolina's hockey decisions are hijacked by a meddling, emotional owner. Imagine taking a business move so personally that you jeopardize your team's cap structure.
I think what's really loud and clear is 'you mess with me, I'll mess with you'... all credit to Al Capone

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Offer sheets are business as usual – the only reason they don't happen often is because there's a potential $$ backlash, not because any GM is worried about hurting another GM's feelings. Most GMs are ex-players – you think they're intimidated by Dundon? Offer sheets will continue with or without his blessings.
If they weren't before, they sure as hell will be now. He completely embarrassed and outclassed Bergevin here and no GM wants to deal with a spiteful asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad