Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part III]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What bothers me is that Kotkaniemi was probably aware of the 20 and 15 Easter eggs in his contract. It kind of means he was ok with the not so subtle f*** you to his former organisation. That's not so classy... I wonder if he's also comfortable with all that social media circus (copy pasting in FR and EN, the LOL and other stuff).

Besides that, this is so entertaining! Such a bad hockey move though. If I'm a Canes fan, I cross my fingers the Habs match the offer.
I couldn't have said this better.

The Carolina owner is obviously an asshole, and the player is complicit with him. If I'm Habs management, I say au revoir.

Reactions: viceroy

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I remember a time where fans were saying Sergachev wasn't looking great...Learn from history please.

Many people calling him ordinary I'm willing to bet have barely seen him play. Stats watching a player in his 20 year old season and projecting of that is just...:help::help:

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The $20 signing bonus is pretty juvenile.

It seldom works out well when you make a business decision so personal. Spite and good business don't go hand in hand.

I rather hope the Habs don't match, and leave the Canes on the hook for this contract.
It wasn't just spite. It was about sending a message and making sure no other team meddles in his RFA negotiations ever again.

We made him pay Aho more than he wanted, even if it was just slightly less, and he wants to make sure everyone understands that if you go after one bus RFAs, he will go after one of yours and he will do it just right, unlike Bergevin.

He put us in a tough financial situation, hurt our center depth (if we don't match), made Bergevin look like an idiot for that low OS to Aho and he sent a message to all other owners that he's not above getting petty.

It's a clear warning shot and I bet you anything it was heard loud and clear.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Imo they should keep KK and dump Drouin or Petry if they can. Petry in particular is only going to get worse.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They can't, if they own his rights they have to qualify him for over $5M, that's the whole problem.
Of course they can offer him anything they want. If Kotkaniemi doesn't like it, then they have to qualify him for that 6,1 million. Now you ask why would Kotkaniemi take a pay cut? Job security, bigger amount of money overall in the contract, he really likes the Canes and wants to stay... A lot of reasons for him to take a pay cut for a longer deal.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
"Hey KK do you want $6m?"
It's that simple.
Stop getting caught up on the $20. Would it have insulted you less if it was $1m?
No, not at all. That would be just business.

The $20 is not business. It's a personal slight at the management of the Habs. It's a gratuitous insult.

Reactions: Toene and Edgy

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Of course they can offer him anything they want. If Kotkaniemi doesn't like it, then they have to qualify him for that 6,1 million. Now you ask why would Kotkaniemi take a pay cut? Job security, bigger amount of money overall in the contract, he really likes the Canes and wants to stay... A lot of reasons for him to take a pay cut for a longer deal.
He's an RFA, that's not how it works.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It wasn't just spite. It was about sending a message and making sure no other team meddles in his RFA negotiations ever again.

We made him pay Aho more than he wanted, even if it was just slightly less, and he wants to make sure everyone understands that if you go after one bus RFAs, he will go after one of yours and he will do it just right, unlike Bergevin.

He put us in a tough financial situation, hurt our center depth (if we don't match), made Bergevin look like an idiot for that low OS to Aho and he sent a message to all other owners that he's not above getting petty.

The $6.1-million sends the message that Carolina will retaliate.

The $20 sends the message that Dundon is an asshole. Other than that, it doesn't really add anything.

Reactions: loadie

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think there's risk for the Canes.

If they give up a first and third for one year of Kotkaniemi, they then have to qualify him or let him become a UFA. That's a pretty substantial risk unless he really steps up his performance.

If the Canes have Kotkaniemi on a one-year deal at $6.1 ... 035 million and he performs along the same trajectory, then they've thrown away a couple of picks for not much more than flipping the bird at the Habs.

I don't know in what world that would be worth it.
Apparently, the offersheet was initiated by owner Tom Dundon, not GM Waddell. Along with the $20 bonus, it screams that this was an emotional move. Not exactly the best way to operate a hockey team.

Reactions: viceroy and Ciao

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What bothers me is that Kotkaniemi was probably aware of the 20 and 15 Easter eggs in his contract. It kind of means he was ok with the not so subtle f*** you to his former organisation. That's not so classy... I wonder if he's also comfortable with all that social media circus (copy pasting in FR and EN, the LOL and other stuff).

Besides that, this is so entertaining! Such a bad hockey move though. If I'm a Canes fan, I cross my fingers the Habs match the offer.

Why does it matter, especially if he’s upset with the Habs and how they’ve handled him? It doesn’t matter if it’s classy or not, especially when Bergevin has no loyalty to him or his players (i.e. his if you want loyalty, get a dog quote).

Plus, why should he care? He’s making 2-3x the amount he should be making next year. If someone offered me that and I wanted to leave my company, I couldn’t give a shit if there was little Easter eggs hidden in the contract as a subtle FU to the company that treated me poorly anyways.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would've been more interesting if they OSed KK 5M x 2y, which Habs would be more inclined to match, and assuming they do match THEN go after Suzuki at 7M x 1y which puts them near the cap limit, with like, 8 contracts to replace including Chiarot at 3.5M, Romanov and Evans on their ELC, and Pacquette and Wideman already on league minimum.

In the current situation, Montreal can let they have him and draft likely ~15OA boom/bust replacement ready in 2-3 years, and in the meantime sign a UFA C for 2-3 years that can play in the middle 6 C.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Apparently, the offersheet was initiated by owner Tom Dundon, not GM Waddell. Along with the $20 bonus, it screams that this was an emotional move. Not exactly the best way to operate a hockey team.

LeBrun reported that Carolina was actually trying to trade for Kotkaniemi prior to the offer sheet. So there appears to be legitimate interest in the player from a pure hockey standpoint.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
If KK is let go, I can see Pettersson getting an offer sheet. Montreal has about 9 million left in LTIR relief. Canucks can't fit Pettersson and Hughes on the roster unless they both take bridges.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Why does it matter, especially if he’s upset with the Habs and how they’ve handled him? It doesn’t matter if it’s classy or not, especially when Bergevin has no loyalty to him or his players (i.e. his if you want loyalty, get a dog quote).
It screams that he wants out of Montreal. That's why it matters.

If he were interested in staying with the Habs, he would have made sure they scratched the 20 bucks out of the contract.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Would've been more interesting if they OSed KK 5M x 2y, which Habs would be more inclined to match, and assuming they do match THEN go after Suzuki at 7M x 1y which puts them near the cap limit, with like, 8 contracts to replace including Chiarot at 3.5M, Romanov and Evans on their ELC, and Pacquette and Wideman already on league minimum.
Assuming Suzuki would agree. People always assume that there are no offer sheets because the GMs are afraid. Most likely, there are attempts at offer sheets every year, but the players are not interested.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It screams that he wants out of Montreal. That's why it matters.

If he were interested in staying with the Habs, he would have made sure they scratched the 20 bucks out of the contract.

And if Carolina said it’s this contract or nothing?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I think the only thing heard loud and clear is that Carolina's hockey decisions are hijacked by a meddling, emotional owner. Imagine taking a business move so personally that you jeopardize your team's cap structure.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016

With an incentive of a couple of million dollars more than he was likely offered by Montreal I do not believe anybody can fault him for signing it. Since Montreal and Kotkaniemi had not reached an agreement it is even less strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad