Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part III]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think the only thing heard loud and clear is that Carolina's hockey decisions are hijacked by a meddling, emotional owner. Imagine taking a business move so personally that you jeopardize your team's cap structure.
It really doesn't. If this was all Dundons doing, he might as well become the GM himself because this was a brilliant move that has a ton of upside for Carolina. Which is why I don't buy that report that this was initiated by Dundon. Waddell was the guy, he maybe got the ok from Dundon.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It's overpayment yes, but it's only for one year. And the first and a 3rd is not really an issue considering they should be a playoff team. The only downside here is that they now don't have the capspace or their 1st to make a deadline move. Technically this is their rental, but one could argue they will have an issue with their defense, not offense and thus this move is not the best for a contending team. On the other hand, there's tremendous upside, Kotkaniemi still has the potential to become a really good #2C.

It's gamble, but a gamble that has very high upside and very little risk.

To me, it's overpayment BECAUSE it's for one year. It's a big cap hit, but a first and a third for one year of a $6M+ center. Weird move imo. I don't really like it from anyone's perspective.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Assuming Suzuki would agree. People always assume that there are no offer sheets because the GMs are afraid. Most likely, there are attempts at offer sheets every year, but the players are not interested.
I mean, it's not like we're talking about Buffalo or Detroit or Ottawa here.

Suzuki signing a 7+M 1 year contract fast tracks him to the top 1% of salaries in the league and his QO also gives him some insurance to make decent money or become UFA. On top of this, playing on both Carolina or Montreal, he'll probably produce pretty well. KK didn't sign because he hates the Habs. He signed because someone made him a multi-millionaire and basically doubled his projected salary in the next 2-3 years without him needing to earn it.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Yes it does. They can start negotiating a new deal in January, and it doesn't have to start with 6,1 million. They can sign an 8 year extension at league minimum if that's fine with Kotkaniemi.
Then again, why would KK sign a LT deal @ 3M$ when he knows he can get 6.1M$ minumum on his QO, or walk away as a UFA @ 22yo?

Reactions: Ciao

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
LeBrun reported that Carolina was actually trying to trade for Kotkaniemi prior to the offer sheet. So there appears to be legitimate interest in the player from a pure hockey standpoint.
Sure, I can believe that. Kotkaniemi might be a great long term investment. But no matter how good the kid might become, it's unlikely to happen this season while he's earning $6.1M.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
What bothers me is that Kotkaniemi was probably aware of the 20 and 15 Easter eggs in his contract. It kind of means he was ok with the not so subtle f*** you to his former organisation. That's not so classy... I wonder if he's also comfortable with all that social media circus (copy pasting in FR and EN, the LOL and other stuff).

Organizations trade people or refuse to trade them (Ristolainen case) all the time. Very rarely they act classy. Montreal could have signed Kotkaniemi earlier. They had all the time they needed. So they didn't show that they value him as a player. Now when the player got an offer that was sort of too good to be true at this point of his career, he had to take it because it basically dictates how wealthy he is going to become. Few weeks ago many writers on the board wrote that he deserves a bridge deal 1.5m AAV or something like that. Now he is a six million dollar man and nothing changes that.

Jul 6, 2016
Bergervin knows that not signing Kotkaniemi will cost him his job.
He has no choice but to match the offer sheet even if he doesn't believe it is the right move.
Taking the picks just sets up his replacement to succeed.

MB has no cap space to retain KK. + In one year, he could lose him for absolutely nothing.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What amount of money isn't insulting? $50? $100? $1000?
It's not the money -- it's the number. Sebastien Aho wears #20. It's flipping the bird at Montreal for having signed him to an offer sheet. Junior-high-school stuff.

Reactions: viceroy

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It's not the money -- it's the number. Sebastien Aho wears #20. It's flipping the bird at Montreal for having signed him to an offer sheet. Junior-high-school stuff.
I didn't read that connection.
Why would Bergevin be insulted though? He already knows what it's for. Everyone does.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
To me, it's overpayment BECAUSE it's for one year. It's a big cap hit, but a first and a third for one year of a $6M+ center. Weird move imo. I don't really like it from anyone's perspective.
I like it from Jesperi Kotkaniemi's perspective. He's the real winner here.

Montreal loses.

Carolina also loses if Montreal doesn't match.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What bothers me is that Kotkaniemi was probably aware of the 20 and 15 Easter eggs in his contract. It kind of means he was ok with the not so subtle f*** you to his former organisation. That's not so classy... I wonder if he's also comfortable with all that social media circus (copy pasting in FR and EN, the LOL and other stuff).

Besides that, this is so entertaining! Such a bad hockey move though. If I'm a Canes fan, I cross my fingers the Habs match the offer.

Kotkaniemi would be a complete idiot to not sign this contract. He's guaranteed millions more than he had any business getting at this point and has a lot more control on his finances past this deal as well than he would likely have in regular circumstances. I'm sure he's more comfortable than anyone else about this, barring his agent.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Habs won't match this ridiculous contract. Perreault will move back to C and replace his production easily.

Would anyone trade a 1st and a 3rd for a 6.1M dollar 5 goals center? nope.

I feel bad for Canes fans man losing their hot rookie and top D so their owner can have a story to tell his golf buddies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No, of course not.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal just walk away.

Kotkaniemi shouldn't have signed a contract with such an obvious barb as a $20 signing bonus if he were interested in going back to Montreal.

Who wants a player that doesn't want to be on your team anyway?
I agree with not wanting him to sign something that has a $20 in it to shove it to montreal. But he also flashed the ‘4’ at the healthy scratches in the playoffs too. He’s clearly not enthralled by Bergevin.

That being said, it would be absolutely silly for him not to sign for the money. He’s set to make a minimum of 12 million over the next 2 years. He would likely have gotten a bridge deal of 2 x 2.5 so 5 million total. He just made himself an extra 7 million dollars.

Reactions: Helistin and Ciao

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Then again, why would KK sign a LT deal @ 3M$ when he knows he can get 6.1M$ minumum on his QO, or walk away as a UFA @ 22yo?
Because if the Canes were only offering him that low money, are you sure he would get that much more as a UFA?

And I think 3 million would be a significant pay cut, and probably would rather take the QO. But 6,1 million QO vs 4 years at 4,75 million for an example? I probably take the latter, assuming his production is in line with that.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Because if the Canes were only offering him that low money, are you sure he would get that much more as a UFA?

And I think 3 million would be a significant pay cut, and probably would rather take the QO. But 6,1 million QO vs 4 years at 4,75 million for an example? I probably take the latter, assuming his production is in line with that.
Again... If He's producing at a 4.75M$ pace... and he's 22, why would he take less @ CAR? Get your QO @ 6.1, or it the UFA market and sign for more then 4.75 on a longer deal. Some team would give it to him

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Why on earth Carolina offered 6.1m? They could get him even with 4.5M offersheet. Hopefully Habs take picks and walk away...

they want to win the Stanley Cup this year. I think that they might be able to sign him for a longer term and pay less per year later on if the organization gives him a role he wants and because there are also Finns in the team. He wasn't happy in Montreal.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Exactly. Evans , Poehling could replace KK's "production".
I think the thought process is he's a yr older, more experienced and ready to take the next step. so they were counting on him playing up (2nd line) and thus producing more
if he were to continue to produce at this current level, who would care that he's possibly leaving MTL?

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
I think the only thing heard loud and clear is that Carolina's hockey decisions are hijacked by a meddling, emotional owner. Imagine taking a business move so personally that you jeopardize your team's cap structure.

carolina finished 21 points ahead of montreal in a shortend season, in a stronger division, they arnt jeopardizing anything with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad