Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part III]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The whole thing is purposely spiteful. Mind you a single year isn’t gonna cripple either franchise.
No, of course not.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal just walk away.

Kotkaniemi shouldn't have signed a contract with such an obvious barb as a $20 signing bonus if he were interested in going back to Montreal.

Who wants a player that doesn't want to be on your team anyway?

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Idk about that. 5.5m to Danault would kind of hurt in the last 1/3 of that contract

How would we know? It's not like his play really depends on elite physical skills or speed. He's just really smart.

KK is dumb as they come and the team had to work around his shortcomings by using Danault only for defensive faceoffs because they didn't trust KK.

Reactions: atrud66

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
So for these OS…if the canes do get kk and resign him, are they going to have to start at 6 million as well or is that just the Canadians?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The thing is that while this is a lose-lose for the Habs, it's really not a risk for the Canes. That's what makes it a good offer sheet.
I think there's risk for the Canes.

If they give up a first and third for one year of Kotkaniemi, they then have to qualify him or let him become a UFA. That's a pretty substantial risk unless he really steps up his performance.

If the Canes have Kotkaniemi on a one-year deal at $6.1 ... 035 million and he performs along the same trajectory, then they've thrown away a couple of picks for not much more than flipping the bird at the Habs.

I don't know in what world that would be worth it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Where is Kotkaniemi supposed to play though? Yesterday a poster mentioned potentially on the wing, which was laughable, or waiting his turn for the year, which seems to be what's specifically pissing off Kotkaniemi who I'm 99 percent sure has zero interest in playing limited minutes again.

Reactions: Ciao

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The thing is that while this is a lose-lose for the Habs, it's really not a risk for the Canes. That's what makes it a good offer sheet.

They lost their entire cap space and two assets who could have helped them at the deadline to acquire an impact rental to fill an actual need. This is just pure incompence on their part.

Reactions: atrud66 and Ciao

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
What bothers me is that Kotkaniemi was probably aware of the 20 and 15 Easter eggs in his contract. It kind of means he was ok with the not so subtle f*** you to his former organisation. That's not so classy... I wonder if he's also comfortable with all that social media circus (copy pasting in FR and EN, the LOL and other stuff).

Besides that, this is so entertaining! Such a bad hockey move though. If I'm a Canes fan, I cross my fingers the Habs match the offer.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know what the $20 million in bonuses is tied to?

usually it’s performance based. I’m just curious what KK has to do to get the $20 mill…

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They would be paying $6.1M for a guy who fits in as their 3C... Spending a first and a third to do so.
It's overpayment yes, but it's only for one year. And the first and a 3rd is not really an issue considering they should be a playoff team. The only downside here is that they now don't have the capspace or their 1st to make a deadline move. Technically this is their rental, but one could argue they will have an issue with their defense, not offense and thus this move is not the best for a contending team. On the other hand, there's tremendous upside, Kotkaniemi still has the potential to become a really good #2C.

It's gamble, but a gamble that has very high upside and very little risk.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
It's overpayment yes, but it's only for one year. And the first and a 3rd is not really an issue considering they should be a playoff team. The only downside here is that they now don't have the capspace or their 1st to make a deadline move. Technically this is their rental, but one could argue they will have an issue with their defense, not offense and thus this move is not the best for a contending team. On the other hand, there's tremendous upside, Kotkaniemi still has the potential to become a really good #2C.

It's gamble, but a gamble that has very high upside and very little risk.
If he doesn't play up to his contract, they either let him walk for nothing or they re-sign him for around $5-6M and he's hard to trade.

Not such a smart move on the Canes part even if it does mess with the Habs plans for next season.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

usually it’s performance based. I’m just curious what KK has to do to get the $20 mill…
Nothing. It's a signing bonus that says this is for having given an offer sheet to Canes #20 Sebastien Aho. It's just flipping the bird at the Habs. Childish and petulant, that's all.

PS It's twenty dollars in bonuses, not $20-million. Actually $20 US.

Reactions: staubitz

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Why on earth Carolina offered 6.1m? They could get him even with 4.5M offersheet. Hopefully Habs take picks and walk away...

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

The signing bonus is 20 bucks...not 20 million.

It was done in reference to the 20m signing bonus sent to aho.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Canes would have to QO him at $6.1-million or let him become a UFA.
Or, they offer him say 4 years at 4,5 million.
If he doesn't play up to his contract, they either let him walk for nothing or they re-sign him for around $5-6M and he's hard to trade.

Not such a smart move on the Canes part even if it does mess with the Habs plans for next season.
At which point it was a one year experiment for the cost of a 1st and a 3rd. Unless the Canes completely implode turning that 1st into a lottery pick, that's what teams throw away at the deadline all the time for rentals. Look at Toronto with Foligno.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No, of course not.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal just walk away.

Kotkaniemi shouldn't have signed a contract with such an obvious barb as a $20 signing bonus if he were interested in going back to Montreal.

Who wants a player that doesn't want to be on your team anyway?
"Hey KK do you want $6m?"
It's that simple.
Stop getting caught up on the $20. Would it have insulted you less if it was $1m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad