Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part III]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Fragility on full display in Montreal.

It must be hard to choose between the dualities of our poverty franchise massively overpaying for a washed up 21 year old currently in proposals for Eichel.

I saw Waddell at the sheriff's office downtown today and he looked like he'd been up for the last 72 hours waiting for Daddy Bergevin to accept his apology and match the deal so we can walk away without compromising our futures.
Fragility ? That we would like to NOT have to pay a 3rd / 4th liner 6.1M ? I think Waddell is shaking in his boots right now. Nothing indicates that KK becomes a point producer in the top 6 in the near future, perhaps he has learnt to stay on his feet this summer, who knows.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
KK was the main piece for Eichel a couple weeks ago, now he's a 4th liner that sucks to Montreal fans. What a time to be alive.
He was included in most trade offers thats true along with Drouin and lesser prospects. Buffalo would have taken him as 1 of the 4 parts they reportedly ask for Eichel.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
KK was the main piece for Eichel a couple weeks ago, now he's a 4th liner that sucks to Montreal fans. What a time to be alive.

Never a reliable thing to paint everyone with the same brush.

Truth of the matter is that he’s currently a middle six C that can develop into a consistent top 6 or not. Time is on his side, so who knows.

How could KK have been the main piece in an Eichel trade? No way that’s the take of a whole fan base. A few fans overvaluing assets and posturing online is not a representative sample.

Reactions: OldCraig71

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Molson should had ordered Bergevin to not match the offer sheet the same hour it was official so Dundon's big ego would make a faceplant. That would tell Dundon to not f*** around with any of the Original Six teams, they've enough influence and power to crush anyone which trying to humiliate them.
What is this? Who cares about original 6? Days of sam Pollock feeding on the Seals are long gone.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Take a minute to check Value of Kotkaniemi thread on Mtl’s board…
Before the OS

A whole lot of fans were happy with his playoffs, pissed at his benching and putting his bad numbers mostly on his linemates. Check it out. 1st year was great, 2nd is blamed on injuries.

Wont find any Bambi or 4th liner stuff.

I am a big fan of KK and I liked his progression. I did think the benchings were unwarranted. He is and has always been a project, a guy who shouldn't have been drafted where he was (which created unrealistic expectations for him), but that's not really his fault.

All this being said, he is not worth a 1st a 3rd in a trade today. Set all the contract stuff aside for a minute. If a team came along and made that offer for him, I would take it in 2 seconds.

Got to consider context. Before, he was a part of our organization, so obviously as fans we're going to try and be optimistic and hope for the best, because the alternative is we get nothing for him and he's a bust. But if we have the choice between hoping for the best with a player that was drafted way too high, vs taking a 1st rounder in a strong draft (which happens to be in Montreal), it changes things. Habs couldn't trade a 1st next year unless they acquired another one.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Bergy must be looking through the couch cushions trying to scrounge up as many loonies as possible to afford this overpayment, which is why they haven't matched, yet.

Reactions: OmniSens

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Fragility ? That we would like to NOT have to pay a 3rd / 4th liner 6.1M ? I think Waddell is shaking in his boots right now. Nothing indicates that KK becomes a point producer in the top 6 in the near future, perhaps he has learnt to stay on his feet this summer, who knows.

The only people that jumped ship faster than Montreal fans on KK were folks on the Titanic.

Better quality coaching and linemates would have me leaning towards a more productive year but as we know, value only goes down when you do something that upsets the big bad O6 boys.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So you're saying that Carolina does actually want to give away a 1st and a 3rd and pay $6m for KK when they weren't willing to pay an extra mil to Dougie Hamilton? Like I said man, if Carolina actually wants this OS to go through it is a dumb as f*** move. Sorry.

As has been pointed out, an extra mil for Hamilton effects the team's cap structure a few years down the line when Aho, Teravainen, Pesce and Slavin are up in a 2 year span. A 1 year deal for Kotkaniemi does not.

The number is not that notable. Carolina has short-term cap space. Commit beyond this year and there's a headache coming with a big raise coming for Necas, Top 4 money for DeAngelo/Bear (whoever steps up to play Top 4 minutes) or someone that can play that role if neither grabs it, and a bump for Trocheck, if retained. Overpaying for 1 year is no big deal.

The real question is if this the best way to use the assets? That's up for debate. I'm guessing the Canes were looking at a forward market that dried up real quick and had a bearish view of what would be available in-season. They landed on Kotkaniemi and when Montreal wouldn't trade him, went down this route.

Reactions: Tryamw

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Canes fans talking fragility while they frantically refresh the page here responding to every post remotely shitting on the move.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
How can he be shaking in his boots when he is the one who presented the OS? Unless you fantasize on the owner forcing his gm to do crazy things… MB doesnt sleep well these days thats for sure. Waiting for the Mtl media to lineup all on same side (matching or not matching) to bring fans along.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Do you think letting Hamilton go was done in order to have money to OS Kotkaniemi?

I think they let Hamilton go because they needed that money to sign other good young players in the org... I'm sure the KK OS is more of a "happy accident" than anything else (hey! We got 6M doing nothing this year... we like this kid, and we could potentially poach him AND piss off the Habs by overpaying him.... )

They obviously like him enough to give a 1st and a 3rd

No, I don’t think Hamilton and Kotkaniemi have anything to do with each other.

I don’t think it makes much sense for so many people to be bringing Hamilton up in this thread.

Reactions: abo9

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Gotta take the picks. Player’s signability and trade value are compromised. A clean slate is needed and the Habs have a golden opportunity to do just that.

And I would add his development would be compromised too.

With the sh.t load of pression he will have next season if MB match, and KK haven't prove he can handle pression as of now, I don't see it ending well if this is the road Mtl choose.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
One contract won't affect every contract moving forward, especially one signed under offer sheet conditions. If Necas' agent tries to use this as a starting point, he will get laughed at. This offer sheet doesn't affect any other offers going into the future. It's a one off.

As per Carolina having a potential lottery pick, that's also ridiculous. Dougie Hamilton was at best the 3rd best defenseman on Carolina, and Anderson is a remarkable candidate for a bounce back year. Seems most goalies who play bad in Toronto have a rebound. And defensemen too for that matter.

Uhh have you heard of this guy named Jake Gardiner that Carolina has been trying to get rid of since Day One?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
As has been pointed out, an extra mil for Hamilton effects the team's cap structure a few years down the line when Aho, Teravainen, Pesce and Slavin are up in a 2 year span. A 1 year deal for Kotkaniemi does not.

The number is not that notable. Carolina has short-term cap space. Commit beyond this year and there's a headache coming with a big raise coming for Necas, Top 4 money for DeAngelo/Bear (whoever steps up to play Top 4 minutes) or someone that can play that role if neither grabs it, and a bump for Trocheck, if retained. Overpaying for 1 year is no big deal.

The real question is if this the best way to use the assets? That's up for debate. I'm guessing the Canes were looking at a forward market that dried up real quick and had a bearish view of what would be available in-season. They landed on Kotkaniemi and when Montreal wouldn't trade him, went down this route.

Yeah, I don't see it. They wouldn't have needed to bank on DeAngelo/Bear if they still had Hamilton anyway. Sorry, I just don't see how you let an asset like Hamilton go for free, that was a bad move. But on the positive side, they probably learned something for the upcoming UFAs they'll need to handle.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
i think we're confusing owners here buddy..... and no im crossing my fingers Habs dont match this bcuz 6mill for bambi is bad
We are the ones who already signed him to it. If money ain't no problem for ya, might as well match. What's the matta, too poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad