Confirmed Trade: [CAR/EDM] Jesse Puljujarvi for Patrik Puistola

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Why is Carolina ruining this guy's career? He was supposed to be an upgrade on their third line and he's getting healthy scratched now. He's probably not going to sign a new contract there if he's not getting minutes.
Maybe they've discovered his 2 left feet and hands of stone that the Oilers and their fans already knew? ;)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah. When you're a top pick like Poolparty, you're usually going to get the royal treatment when it comes to finding a "fit". He's been given a shot everywhere. But he just hasn't ever found a fit anywhere in a lineup. He's just not a very smart player. His vision on the ice is just too limited. It makes him ineffective and unproductive as a Top-6 scoring forward. It makes him error prone as a defensive player to where he doesn't work as a "shutdown" winger. He just doesn't see the ice well enough to be effective in any role, and doesn't seem interested in putting in the work to mold himself into that sort of very ballistic 4th line energy winger he could potentially make a career as.

I brought it up previously...but if Puljujarvi wants to stick around the NHL, he needs to take a page out of what a guy like Jack Skille did. He learned to be an effective forechecker, energy player, and just keep the game extremely simple as a 4th line grinder. That's not what he was drafted as...but it was the limits of what his hockey IQ seemed to allow. Puljujarvi has to probably learn and accept that lesson too. Very similar player with very similar limitations. Or he can just go back to Finland. Whatever.

I think Jesses best fit is being the offensive threat on a 4th line.

He has some offensive tools, but mostly rushing down on the wing firing the puck.

I would sign him as a 4th liner at 1 million as a job to forecheck the puck, try get some scoring chances, firing the puck, turn momentum. And has to ptove himself 3rd line worthy if to climbing higher in the lineup.

Reactions: lionsDen

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I don’t see how this makes you the clear winner. Or why there has to be a winner at all of course. Both teams got what they wanted. You got cap space, we got a depth player for a playoff run. You gave up a player you didn’t really want, we gave up a prospect we weren’t going to sign.

You’re also celebrating the secondary benefit of the trade, not the trade itself but calling the trade itself a clear win.
It’s sports bro. There is always a loser.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Jesses best fit is being the offensive threat on a 4th line.

He has some offensive tools, but mostly rushing down on the wing firing the puck.

I would sign him as a 4th liner at 1 million as a job to forecheck the puck, try get some scoring chances, firing the puck, turn momentum. And has to ptove himself 3rd line worthy if to climbing higher in the lineup.

Might be his "best fit"...but it's still not really a good one. If he could do that effectively, at least take possession of the puck, carry it up ice and fire a pointless puck on net to get an offensive zone faceoff for some other line...that'd be alright.

But without really talented support to shoulder a lot of the load, he doesn't seem all that reliably capable of even getting that done when on a bit of an island by himself. His shooting is also erratic, which means it's not always just an automatic faceoff crest sniper exercise. It can also be a thousand feet wide which turns around into an opportunity the other way. Really good "grinding" 4th liners, you want to be able to sustain a little bit of a cycle, get to the net and manage the puck in a consistently "safe" controlled way. Including a lot of dump-ins, retrievals, cycle play, over one-man-army stuff. Puljujarvi doesn't seem smart enough, or in control of what he's doing enough, to reliably perform that way. Nor does he seem to have the mentality or vision to assess when to cut bait and just make the risk averse "boring play", or the agility to change course and adapt to that on the fly.

Moreover...he's not really an "offensive threat". He doesn't seem productive at all there...even to a respectable 4th line level. Which makes him less useful than other "offensive 4th liner" options if you want to go that way. Nor is he bringing the defensive zone start, PK, responsible sort of utility that you'd want from a 4th liner in the other more conventional mold.

He's basically a "tweener". Not nearly skilled enough for the Top-6, but not reliable or responsible enough with the sort of game to thrive in the Bottom-6. You'd think with his tools, he should be able to apply them to become like a bigger, Tyler Motte type. But it's the tools he's missing, and the toolkit he doesn't have that still hold him back, even in a "grinder" role.

WWKing

Apr 3, 2023
“He’s played really well, just hasn’t been rewarded,” Brind’Amour said on the Finnish winger. “Even tonight, he had a couple of good opportunities and hit the post on one. He’s been around it and been making some good plays, so I think it’s just good for him. You do feel better when you contribute on the score sheet so I think you can see the weights lifted off his shoulders. Everyone judges you by your points. That’s not how we do it. He’s been real effective and that line tonight was perhaps our best line out on the ice and he was a big part of it.”

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
“He’s played really well, just hasn’t been rewarded,” Brind’Amour said on the Finnish winger. “Even tonight, he had a couple of good opportunities and hit the post on one. He’s been around it and been making some good plays, so I think it’s just good for him. You do feel better when you contribute on the score sheet so I think you can see the weights lifted off his shoulders. Everyone judges you by your points. That’s not how we do it. He’s been real effective and that line tonight was perhaps our best line out on the ice and he was a big part of it.”
I wish I had a dollar every time I heard an Oiler coach say this about Puljujarvi after a game.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
What i don’t understand is coaches constantly telling media that he has been good etc, then cut down his minutes or scratch him.

Reactions: Homesick and banks

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Just wait Kaptah. He’s junk and anyone with a pair of eyes can see it. Except of course the slide rule kids.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Good for him! Let's go JP!

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Shooting percentage of %4.3 on the season. That's atrocious. 15th worst in the NHL for forwards (30+ games played). Only Byfield and Drouin are recognizable names in the same range.

If he's in the NHL for longer than 1 more year, I'll eat my hat.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Shooting percentage of %4.3 on the season. That's atrocious. 15th worst in the NHL for forwards (30+ games played). Only Byfield and Drouin are recognizable names in the same range.

A low shooting percentage isn't indicative of a bad player lol. He's due for some regression to the mean. That's unsustainably low, and he's had some grade A chances that were turned away by incredible saves.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

I don't think you really understand what you are saying.

4.3% with a career average closer to 9% means he's likely suffering from some bad luck. We will see if it stays low for another year or 2, hard to guage the McDrai effect.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Why is this still thread still alive and at the top?

Pulju got another shot, Oilers gained cap and CAR test drove a reclaimation project giving up an asset they weren't interested in anyway and had plenty of cap space.

If nothing else Aho is happier in CAR.

Win-win-win... Time to move on
Well for Oilers fans I think it’s a combination of venting out frustration with him being a bust for them, plus even more built up anger from their own fanbase being divided on his usage/ability and arguing about him everyday for the past couple of seasons.

They’re letting it all out on Canes fans and Puljujarvi in this trade thread now

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
He reminds me of Patrick Poulin.
Somehow the guy would have 3 grade-A chances per game and only convert one every 3rd or 4th game.
So frustrating.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Truth is, as Canes fans have said from the beginning that if he’s anywhere from 20-40pts a season he’d fit in just fine somewhere in the canes bottom six. Stastny is just over 20 pts and Stepan has 11….and it wouldn’t surprise me if either of them are back next season. I have no problem with him coming back if the price works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad