Confirmed Trade: [CAR/EDM] Jesse Puljujarvi for Patrik Puistola

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I don't remember any other NHL player who has become a living legend in a same way. His defensive efforts in that first goal! That was such a hessuhopo moment which I haven't seen for a while. Where he was going? Someone should tell him that there are passes in hockey, i.e. you don't have to skate after the puck all the time.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Now. Finally. Atleast. - It is time to admit Puljujärvi is officially a bust. I had hopes that he could work out in Carolina. The one place where he actually has old pals, many Finns and get a new try. He just doesnt get it. He is dumb as a rock. He tries 110%, but does all the wrong choices. His brain doesnt commute. Good kid, but without a brain it doesnt matter how much raw talent you got. Welcome back to Europe.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
2 points in 18 games, yikes. I guess playing with Aho or other Finnish-speakers wasn't the fix, surprisingly enough.

It's remarkable how after 7 years in NHL he stlll has no idea where he should be or what he should be doing. Just runs around like a headless chicken.

Reactions: scholl

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't remember any other NHL player who has become a living legend in a same way. His defensive efforts in that first goal! That was such a hessuhopo moment which I haven't seen for a while. Where he was going? Someone should tell him that there are passes in hockey, i.e. you don't have to skate after the puck all the time.
Wow, you guys and your JP hate. If you look at the replay the Canes have two RD on the ice at the same time in Chatfield and Burns. JP turns away from Czikas because he has completed his backcheck and knocked him on his ass, and now he’s supposed to get back to where a winger should be defending and picking up a guy instead of chasing someone all the way around the defensive zone when he has two free defenseman behind him. Czikas as he gets up is clearly in the defenseman coverage area but because there’s two RD‘s they both vacate that side as JP moved away from him. Its Chatfield who is the issue as Burns is already far to the right. No forward would stay that deep when there’s two defenseman back. Chatfield didn’t read the switch right.

JP isn’t scoring but he’s already proven himself to be a strong defensive player, poor analysis of one play in attempt to mock the one thing people think (for good reason) he does well is pretty sad man.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Oilers didn't sign Puistola. That makes sense. He's too slow to be NHL player.
Pulju 3 points in 24 games with Canes. Probably back to Finland soon.
Nothing - Nothing trade
It happens, Oilers needed to shed some cap to make other trades to improve for the playoffs. Canes had cap space to play with and were hoping a change of scenery might help JP or find his game or some chemistry with fellow Fins.

Reactions: Tryamw

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If he’s willing to sign cheap, as he should be based on his lack of production, my guess is that he’ll be sticking around in Carolina. I would also think the Canes try to get him on a multiple year deal, betting on him at least turning back into a 30pt defensively stout forward while on a cheap contract. Maybe something like $1.5M x 2.

A lot of this probably also depends on what the Canes end up doing with Jesper Fast. If they end up letting Fast walk, I’d be surprised if they don’t keep Puljujarvi.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Oilers and Canes fans looking back at this trade:

7o0vpk.jpg

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'd rather keep Fast at a modest raise than re-sign Puljujarvi at league minimum. Pulju has no value in my eyes...he's not even a suitable bottom-6 role player. He just doesn't think the game fast enough to play at this level.

Reactions: Tryamw and Ezpez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was 13th or 14th on the depth chart upon arrival, and we have a bunch of ufa’s. If he comes back he’ll have a bottom six spot.
But that makes your team worse. You also had like what 2 good forwards injured when he arrived so what, 15th in line when healthy?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Carolina not caring about scoring is probably why they cant win an ECF
Talk to the coach, whose system got us to the ECF despite clearly lacking offense. We did it by submitting even more to the system once we lost Svech snd Patches for good. Rod does not care about offense from the bottom six, he thinks if we play right the goals come one way or another. You can’t argue with the success at this point.

We dispatched the Devils easy enough anyways.

Mister NJ Devil

May 17, 2023
Talk to the coach, whose system got us to the ECF despite clearly lacking offense. We did it by submitting even more to the system once we lost Svech snd Patches for good. Rod does not care about offense from the bottom six, he thinks if we play right the goals come one way or another. You can’t argue with the success at this point.

We dispatched the Devils easy enough anyways.
The Devils were in year 1 of their window. Carolina is in year 5 and on the downswing with too many contracts needed

Theyll never pass the ECF with Sebastian Aho as the best player. Most contending teams have multiple players better

Reactions: Darren McCord

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
But that makes your team worse. You also had like what 2 good forwards injured when he arrived so what, 15th in line when healthy?
He wasn’t that low on the depth chart because he’s that bad a player, he’s there because the coach has his lineup and likes where everyone goes. Trying to figure out JP on the fly was becoming too much of an issue. If we upgrade the top six we’re going to need cheap hard working labor in the bottom six. JP is good at that, he just wasn’t going to beat out the incumbents without scoring a bunch while sacrificing zero on the defensive end.

Stastny and Stepan are no guarantees to come back or have the legs if they do. Fast and Staal are ufa. We’re going to try to add scoring. There could easily be a spot for JP without it being a downgrade.

The Devils were in year 1 of their window. Carolina is in year 5 and on the downswing with too many contracts needed

Theyll never pass the ECF with Sebastian Aho as the best player. Most contending teams have multiple players better
Lol…..downswing. Every key player is in their prime aside from Burns and maybe Staal. We were short two key forwards. We have at least one more year of prime roster, and then the questions begin. We have a ton of cap space for this year and next, depending on who gets signed before now and then.

I don’t disagree about Aho, but that doesn’t have anything to do JP.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad