Confirmed Trade: [CAR/EDM] Jesse Puljujarvi for Patrik Puistola

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Wouldn’t surprise me if the Canes keep him. He’s cheap and works hard, they don’t care about the pts he didn’t score.

3M for a guy who scored 16 points in 75 games isn't exactly cheap. If he's willing to re-sign for like 1M that would be fine though.

Canes didn't lose anything of value in this trade but they did pay in opportunity cost by not being able to do anything else because they wasted a chunk of cap space on a nothing player.

Reactions: Darren McCord

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
3M for a guy who scored 16 points in 75 games isn't exactly cheap. If he's willing to re-sign for like 1M that would be fine though.

Canes didn't lose anything of value in this trade but they did pay in opportunity cost by not being able to do anything else because they wasted a chunk of cap space on a nothing player.
Oh I have no thought of signing him for 3, my whole idea is based off him getting a realistic price on a show me deal.

What player did they miss out on? The trade happened pretty late in the deadline proceedings - pretty clearly after the Canes had already missed on everyone they were interested in. That’s been one of the interesting takes about criticizing the Canes with this. If they wanted a bigger fish they would’ve went after a bigger fish, and by all accounts they did. They settled for JP for depth when everything else was gone for them.

This didn’t hurt them at all. They couldn’t have known obviously that Svech would go down but there wasn’t any replacement for Svech on the market. They went hard for Meier.

Reactions: Tryamw

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Oh I have no thought of signing him for 3, my whole idea is based off him getting a realistic price on a show me deal.

What player did they miss out on? The trade happened pretty late in the deadline proceedings - pretty clearly after the Canes had already missed on everyone they were interested in. That’s been one of the interesting takes about criticizing the Canes with this. If they wanted a bigger fish they would’ve went after a bigger fish, and by all accounts they did. They settled for JP for depth when everything else was gone for them.

This didn’t hurt them at all. They couldn’t have known obviously that Svech would go down but there wasn’t any replacement for Svech on the market. They went hard for Meier.

A lot of better depth was traded after

Marcus Johansen
Gustav Nyquist
Sundqvist
Eller
Engvall

Bertuzzi was also traded after if you want a big name.

The canes were cheap and got a cap dumo instead of depth scoring and it bit them in the ass.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Marcus Johansen
Gustav Nyquist
Sundqvist
Eller
Engvall

The canes were cheap and got a cap dumo instead of depth scoring and it bit them in the ass.

What bit them was the fact they were missing 2 30g scorers, not the fact they didn’t overpay for rentals. Off your list there, how many of the teams that traded for them made it past the first round?

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Marcus Johansen
Gustav Nyquist
Sundqvist
Eller
Engvall

That’s an unimpressive list that helped no one. Those are all dumps. Bertuzzi wasn’t worth a first after this season imo. I’m glad we kept it and none of those guys helps us win a single game more than we did.

Only on HF can the Canes be called fools throwing 6 million at Koko, and buying a first round pick along with Marleau while at same time being called cheap for not acquiring Lars Eller. That’s hf gold right there.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
That’s an unimpressive list that helped no one. Those are all dumps. Bertuzzi wasn’t worth a first after this season imo. I’m glad we kept it and none of those guys helps us win a single game more than we did.

Only on HF can the Canes be called fools throwing 6 million at Koko, and buying a first round pick along with Marleau while at same time being called cheap for not acquiring Lars Eller. That’s hf gold right there.
Not arguing for the players this year being worth the risk but even in 2020 they decided not to trade for Lehner at the deadline and chose to roll out Petr Mrazek and Reimer as their goalies due to the fact they were both signed for next year and weren’t a rental like Lehner was.

There is only so many cracks at the playoffs with a core before they fall off and certain years like 2020 will stand out as a missed opportunity

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Not arguing for the players this year being worth the risk but even in 2020 they decided not to trade for Lehner at the deadline and chose to roll out Petr Mrazek and Reimer as their goalies due to the fact they were both signed for next year and weren’t a rental like Lehner was.

There is only so many cracks at the playoffs with a core before they fall off and certain years like 2020 will stand out as a missed opportunity
Instead of dealing significant assets for a couple of months of Lehner, Carolina traded a first for 4+ years of a top 4 defenseman and acquired a 2C for 2+ years for one player still in Florida.

They made moves that extended their window rather than going for it all in 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad