Confirmed with Link: Caps sign RW Justin Williams (two years, $3.25M)

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I didn't know about the buyout thing.
Also, we can switch Burakovsky and Beagle's positions. Backstrom-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky-Latta is good enough to roll.

I'm still not a big fan of putting Bura on a line with Beagle no matter what spots they're in. They're just such polar opposites.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Finally, a very good deal, both term and cap hit.

At the same time, depending on how much he has left in the tank, if Ward leaves, I suspect it will roughly be a wash, considering how great Ward was in playoffs.

So to improve (besides young guns 2 getting better), IMO they need at least one more piece (or retain Ward). The defining task for BM this summer remains whether he can convert Laich/Brouwer/MJ into a more impactful player.. But at least now they hopefully won't be taking a step back -- and maybe signing Williams can help to get somebody else.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Wasnt the Burakovsky - Beagle - Brouwer one of the better line combos for a bit in the playoffs?

Oh yeah, the killer Bs. Sputtered out for our last three games though. Wouldn't want to have to count on that couple games' worth of magic for a full season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At the same time, depending on how much he has left in the tank, if Ward leaves, I suspect it will roughly be a wash, considering how great Ward was in playoffs.
I think Williams opens doors for them when it comes to playing at a higher pace in the regular season so there's a lot of developmental upside in making the switch. If they can up the ante when it comes to pace they ought to get more out of the youth's sheer skill level and generally play more of the downhill game of a true contender.

In the playoffs in isolation maybe it's a wash but there were a lot of tactical and identity reasons to cut the cord and go with a more skilled alternative. For the first time since Fedorov I think this is a forward added that instantly commands respect in that locker room.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think Williams opens doors for them when it comes to playing at a higher pace in the regular season so there's a lot of developmental upside in making the switch. If they can up the ante when it comes to pace they ought to get more out of the youth's sheer skill level and generally play more of the downhill game of a true contender.

In the playoffs in isolation maybe it's a wash but there were a lot of tactical and identity reasons to cut the cord and go with a more skilled alternative. For the first time since Fedorov I think this is a forward added that instantly commands respect in that locker room.

Williams has been unequivocally more clutch in the playoffs when compared to Ward as well as being the decidedly better regular season player. There is no comparison when talking about a three-time Cup winner who's the proud owner of a Conn Smythe, and a clutch plugger who's never made it out of the second round...for all we know Ward turns into a pumpkin once the Conference Finals roll around.

Sorry Joel that's just the facts...

Now, I'm not so sure it's such a bad idea to have both players on the same team since, while he's no Williams, Ward is a clutch SOB in his own right.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Mr. Game 7 on the Washington Capitals? That's some Odd Couple stuff right there. Good signing.

I was hoping to see movement on Brouwer and/or Laich, but when both were still on the roster this morning I figured it was too late to make a change. Even if one or both can be jettisoned, it will probably be too late to use the cap space for anything else of value without giving up significant assets.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Sportsnet trolling

#Capitals sign Justin Williams:

Game 7 victories

Justin Williams: 7
Capitals franchise history: 4

Yupp. 14 points Williams has in 7 career game 7s with the Kings too.

That's 2 points/game.

.... the same exact amount the ENTIRE Caps team averaged in the playoffs over the past 4 years.

An upgrade over Ward - but still need to add another top 6 option.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
this team is legit. Wish we could re-sign fehr. Miss you lads and girls, been studying for cpa exams so haven't been to active on hf but this is good news.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Holy **** that is not just an amazing signing, but AMAZING value too! So clutch, if Caps get someone like Vrbata in a brouwer package trade or somebody like that for the top line then this team is winning the east. :handclap:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I love this. We've added some heart and some 'street wise' to our lineup, as well as playoff grit. We have too many shrinking violets in the playoffs. Great contract, too. Surprised LA didn't keep him at that price, but their loss is our gain

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm still in awe and shocked happiness that we got Justin Williams. I'm not surprised that BMac got it done. I have faith in him. He said he was going to take care of our defense last off-season and he did. He said he was going to work on taking care of working out our RW issues this off-season, so I was sure he was working on something (and it ain't all over yet). Just... wow, we actually got JUSTIN WILLIAMS! And at such a fabulous deal. Amazing. And according to Pierre LeBrun, "A good fit and a chance to play on another contender trumped more money for Justin Williams."

So, yeah at the Caps as being seen as a contender, and I completely agree with everything I've read on Williams and how Trotz has helped changed the mentality in DC that the Caps are a good fit for JDub. So pleased with this. I'm going to love seeing him rocking the red!

MiKE5889

May 7, 2012
Assuming that we sign RFA's:

Holtby (5.250.000)
Mojo (3.750.000)
Kuz (2.850.000)

...A tad low perhaps, but the Caps have been known in recent years to do well in contract negotiations with their own in house players (Laich not included). 5.25 for Holtby seems reasonable when you look at what kind of money Dubnyk received (4.33). Don't see Mojo quite getting 4 million. He's young, but his recent performance in the playoffs won't add any firepower to his side of the table. Cannot see Kuz getting Matt Stone money, so something just below 3 mill seems reasonable.

Assuming that we call up Galiev for the 4:th line RW role and Chorney as our 7:th D, as well as replaces Peters with Grubauer our lineup would look something like this:

Ovechkin / Backstrom / Williams

Burakovsky / Kuznetsov / Brouwer

Johansson / Beagle / Wilson

Chimera / Laich / Galiev

13F: Latta

Orpik / Carlson

Alzner / Niskanen

Schmidt / Orlov

7D: Chorney

Holtby / Grubauer

Leaving us in the ballpark of 2,9 million (+/- 100-200k) in cap space.

Gotta think that this would be the perfect time for the Caps to explore what value they could get now for their 2016 first round pick as well as one of their higher end prospects. If packing Brouwer and a smaller contract like Latta's we would, with the 2,9 million still available free up over 7 millions worth of cap space.

I wounder if a Brouwer+Latta+Carrick+2016 1:st could fetch us a top 6F as well as an upgrade at the 3C position?

Sep 19, 2008
Good playoff performer. Esp in clutch game 7

And you all know how many times we deal with that game 7 ****

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well done, GMBM. I don't think you could get a player of JW's caliber and pedigree for such a fair contract.

Now sign Semin, trade Brouwer, and hopefully one of Fehr/Ward decides to come home on a discount.

MiKE5889

May 7, 2012
Assuming that we sign RFA's:

Holtby (5.250.000)
Mojo (3.750.000)
Kuz (2.850.000)

...A tad low perhaps, but the Caps have been known in recent years to do well in contract negotiations with their own in house players (Laich not included). 5.25 for Holtby seems reasonable when you look at what kind of money Dubnyk received (4.33). Don't see Mojo quite getting 4 million. He's young, but his recent performance in the playoffs won't add any firepower to his side of the table. Cannot see Kuz getting Matt Stone money, so something just below 3 mill seems reasonable.

Assuming that we call up Galiev for the 4:th line RW role and Chorney as our 7:th D, as well as replaces Peters with Grubauer our lineup would look something like this:

Ovechkin / Backstrom / Williams

Burakovsky / Kuznetsov / Brouwer

Johansson / Beagle / Wilson

Chimera / Laich / Galiev

13F: Latta

Orpik / Carlson

Alzner / Niskanen

Schmidt / Orlov

7D: Chorney

Holtby / Grubauer

Leaving us in the ballpark of 2,9 million (+/- 100-200k) in cap space.

Gotta think that this would be the perfect time for the Caps to explore what value they could get now for their 2016 first round pick as well as one of their higher end prospects. If packing Brouwer and a smaller contract like Latta's we would, with the 2,9 million still available free up over 7 millions worth of cap space.

I wounder if a Brouwer+Latta+Carrick+2016 1:st could fetch us a top 6F as well as an upgrade at the 3C position?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I see Williams as a better fit in terms of what the Caps need.

However, I don't think the Caps are done. I still think they make a trade for a top 6 winger. Just a hunch.

GMBM said he was looking for one thing. An established veteran forward that Trotz could plug into the first line. He has done that. I would not expect more. I would not expect Johansson or Brouwer to be ditched unless Johansson won't sign a contract.

RW: Williams, Brouwer, Wilson, O'Brien/Galiev.

MiKE5889

May 7, 2012
GMBM said he was looking for one thing. An established veteran forward that Trotz could plug into the first line. He has done that. I would not expect more. I would not expect Johansson or Brouwer to be ditched unless Johansson won't sign a contract.

RW: Williams, Brouwer, Wilson, O'Brien.

Seems very likley I agree. Gotta believe that they go with Galiev over O'Brien though, as the second year of Galiev's contract is one-way. Makes a lot of sense to give him ice time this year, so that they know what they will get once the second half of that contract kicks in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad