Confirmed with Link: Caps sign RW Justin Williams (two years, $3.25M)

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
You would think that would be easy to do. Brouwer should hold some value even with his partial NTC.

I just think the Caps really like what Brouwer brings to the locker room.

I don't mind Brouwer in a 3rd line role at all. I'd pick Ward over him easily tho.

i actually like the idea of Brouwer with Chimera and Latta on the 4th line. There is no rule against using a 4th line forward on the top PP unit. The one thing I will give Brouwer is he is a perfect fit in front of the net on the Caps PP.

Play that trio 8-10 minutes per night. Get Brouwer some 3-4 minutes more on the PP and PK. Depth is a good thing!

I would rather have Galiev in Hershey one more year anyway. He can replace Brouwer in 2016. Although we may not be able to afford it, he may have to play in the NHL due to his small cap hit.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
i actually like the idea of Brouwer with Chimera and Latta on the 4th line. There is no rule against using a 4th line forward on the top PP unit. The one thing I will give Brouwer is he is a perfect fit in front of the net on the Caps PP.

Play that trio 8-10 minutes per night. Get Brouwer some 3-4 minutes more on the PP and PK. Depth is a good thing!

I would rather have Galiev in Hershey one more year anyway. He can replace Brouwer in 2016. Although we may not be able to afford it, he may have to play in the NHL due to his small cap hit.

Williams on PP in Brouwers spot, his nickname isn't "stick" for no reason.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm really excited about the prospect of what Wilson can do because of development camp. He didn't get that experience last year. And this year, he'll not only have it, but he'll have it with a Trotz who knows this team, an Orpik who's gelled with this team, a Williams who is, pretty much according to everyone, SUCH a great all-around character guy and true leader of men. Wilson AND Kuzy and Bura, I think, are really going to blossom this year.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Brouwer can't play it at all.

Can you really give me a reason why this is the case. The guy is actually quite good on the power play. Its the only thing he actually does well IMO. The guy was on our team in power play goals.

I know everyone wants the guy traded. But lets not be idiots here. With Ward gone who are you going to put on the PP other than Brouwer? Wilson? I know we all love the kid but you can't say he is more productive than Brouwer.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Brouwer has shanked more easy shots and missed more open nets by 8 feet (from 6 feet away) than anyone I can ever remember.

Who else do we have to play that role. It has to be a right handed shot for the one timer. We don't have many options and you need at least 2.

it's already been said. Swap out Brouwer for Williams on Powerplay. Done.

When was the last time 1 player played a full 2 minutes in front of the net? You have to have at least 2 guys to play that role.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer has shanked more easy shots and missed more open nets by 8 feet (from 6 feet away) than anyone I can ever remember.

And yet he's the best we've had in that spot in forever....you also make it sound like that's an easy layup from there that should be scored at a high %. It's not.

To me, since the departure of Ribiero, it's felt like the Caps went away from that setup shot more so than when Ribs was dishing the passes to Brouwer. Backstrom just doesn't seem to go there often.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
And yet he's the best we've had in that spot in forever....you also make it sound like that's an easy layup from there that should be scored at a high %. It's not.

To me, since the departure of Ribiero, it's felt like the Caps went away from that setup shot more so than when Ribs was dishing the passes to Brouwer. Backstrom just doesn't seem to go there often.

Backstrom plays on the wall mostly. The player down low is the one who is going to make that pass to Brouwer as he is the one that is going to suck down the defensman and create the opening. So its really more on MoJo not seeing it as much as Ribero did.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backstrom plays on the wall mostly. The player down low is the one who is going to make that pass to Brouwer as he is the one that is going to suck down the defensman and create the opening. So its really more on MoJo not seeing it as much as Ribero did.

I was simply pointing at that Backstrom (their best passer) has a TON of opportunities to make the same pass to the slot and regularly refuses to do so, reducing the attempts Brouwer gets from that sweet spot on the PP. I think the PP strategy shifted some and Brouwer was more of a deflector and traffic guy rather than a slot shooter.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
What do we think joel ward is thinking right now? Why isn't he signed somewhere yet? Agent asking way too much? Would it still be feasible and/or useful for Caps to re-sign him, if he lowers his term request?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What do we think joel ward is thinking right now? Why isn't he signed somewhere yet? Agent asking way too much? Would it still be feasible and/or useful for Caps to re-sign him, if he lowers his term request?

I hope he's thinking that he wants to stay in DC for cheap with his old buddy Chimmer and try to win a cup. :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

He would have to. Same with Fehr, Holtby, Mojo and Kuz if there are sticking points.

GMBM is showing them he's not screwing around. He set the tone early with a few value deals and now some great value signings/trades. The RFAs remaining will see the build up to something serious and have to make a decision to take less to stay or chase a few dollars more in a foreign environment.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

He's thinking the door with the Caps just probably closed....it's time for him to move on and find a better fit. He lost the game of chicken here...he may end up getting the term and AAV he wanted to start with, but he's picking up his life and moving to get it...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really really like Ward.
I would greatly prefer Wilson to earn the 3RW spot than be handed it.

With that said, I'd rather invest the remaining space they have in a 3C than Joel Ward.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Congrats guys you are getting one of my favorite players of all-time. He may get somewhat frustrating in the regular season but come playoff time he's one of the best.. Hate to see Willy go but the Caps are a team I really enjoy because of Ovie and Backstrom so I'll be cheering for you guys to come out of the East, same as I was this past playoffs! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad