Confirmed with Link: Caps sign RW Justin Williams (two years, $3.25M)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Great price. Hard to find any complaints about this. Even if he's not the player he used to be, $3.25 for only two years is pretty terrific.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Justin Williams is the first Conn Smythe winner the Caps have had on their roster since adding Bill Ranford in 1996.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I gotta say I'm confused by the Kings. They clear all this space then let the perfect Voynov replacement escape and now they give up a lot of heart for no reason.
I think Williams must have been asking for more previously, and once they brought in Lucic they figure he was gone.

But imagine what they could could gotten if not for Orpik and Niskanen!
Another player of Justin Williams' caliber, apparently. ;)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was simply referring to a role, not an individual. This guy is another Leader of Men.

Oh ok

I'd love it if this Leader of Men took a pay cut and came back for another 2 years
Joel_Ward_2013-03-19.JPG

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think Williams must have been asking for more previously, and once they brought in Lucic they figure he was gone.

Another player of Justin Williams' caliber, apparently. ;)

Once they brought in Lucic he probably knew he was down on the depth chart as well, does JW live out east? Might be a factor.

Also, I wonder if he is the UFA we invited to check out the facilities here.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Once they brought in Lucic he probably knew he was down on the depth chart as well, does JW live out east? Might be a factor.

Also, I wonder if he is the UFA we invited to check out the facilities here.

I think he might still have a place in the Philly area. I know last year he had the cup in Philly and then took it to Atlantic City I believe before handing it over to John Stevens who took it to Sea Isle City in NJ

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can we talk about how much better of a fit Williams is at 1RW than Sharp? If Sharp rebounds, he may be the better overall player (not considering cap hit), but Williams is hopefully the better fit as 1RW. Not only is Williams willing to drive the crease and score dirty goals, he's much more dangerous without the puck than virtually anyone we've had in a while. He knows how to find the soft spots in the defense and make himself dangerous without the puck. I'm hoping for some great chemistry with Backstrom at the very least, and hopefully Williams will be able to punish teams that over-commit on Ovechkin.

Also he can take Brouwer's spot on PP1. ;)

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Can we talk about how much better of a fit Williams is at 1RW than Sharp? If Sharp rebounds, he may be the better overall player (not considering cap hit), but Williams is hopefully the better fit as 1RW. Not only is Williams willing to drive the crease and score dirty goals, he's much more dangerous without the puck than virtually anyone we've had in a while. He knows how to find the soft spots in the defense and make himself dangerous without the puck. I'm hoping for some great chemistry with Backstrom at the very least, and hopefully Williams will be able to punish teams that over-commit on Ovechkin.

Oshie is better than both

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Kings fan stopping by...

Here's to hoping that the invaluable playoff experience he's got is what it takes for you guys, especially Ovechkin, to finally reach the Finals and win it all.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Outstanding. If they can somehow ditch Laich and pick up a 2/3c and the young forwards and D all take a step forward next season, things look good.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
it would be beyond phenomenal if Ward took the same contract.

One can only dream.

My dream lineup for next year :

Ovechkin-Backstrom-off season acquisition
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams
Ward-Beagle-Burakovsky
Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orlov

Holtby
Grubauer

In this scenario, Laich is bought out, Brouwer is traded in a package for a top line RW or a pick.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Plus his teammates love him. Which has not always been the case for Sharp supposedly.

Having watched Williams last few years out here in LA, i'd say he definitely isnt the player he used to be. I fit him generally in same category as Ward -- hard worker, not a fast skater, well-liked by teammates, and money in the playoffs.

Teammates in LA called him Stick. Because he always seemed to make the key deflection or score the clutch goal, just had a 'good stick.'

I am so much happier signing him than Sharp. I hope we dont still go after Sharp.

Great price and term, too. And a Trotz-type player, for sure.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
One can only dream.

My dream lineup for next year :

Ovechkin-Backstrom-off season acquisition
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams
Ward-Beagle-Burakovsky
Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orlov

Holtby
Grubauer

In this scenario, Laich is bought out, Brouwer is traded in a package for a top line RW or a pick.

The buyout period is over, Laich can't be bought out until next June. Also, I really hope we don't end up with Beagle and Latta as our 3/4C. That's some terrible center depth.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The buyout period is over, Laich can't be bought out until next June. Also, I really hope we don't end up with Beagle and Latta as our 3/4C. That's some terrible center depth.

I didn't know about the buyout thing.
Also, we can switch Burakovsky and Beagle's positions. Backstrom-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky-Latta is good enough to roll.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
In theory a secondary buyout window could open up thanks to arbitration cases. Not that they'll do it. It makes a little more sense next off-season if it's going to happen (two years on the books vs. four).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad