Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Nisky's injury will be the beginning of the end for Barry. He should be able to overcome that injury with the guns we have on offense, and Holts on the back end. If he can't, it may be time for Reirden.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wonder if Nisky's injury will be the beginning of the end for Barry. He should be able to overcome that injury with the guns we have on offense, and Holts on the back end. If he can't, it may be time for Reirden.

No. Your 1 goes down. You don't have a legit 5 or 6. Your 4 was your 5 last season. Goalies don't stop everything and guns only do damage with the puck which cant be gotten with that defense. Watch tonight. One of two things will happen. TO will burn the defense alive and they get killed or Holtby stands on his head and they still give up 4 and lose. Outside chance that the two rookies are suddenly nhl ready, but that doesn't happen in a couple of games

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

If the team is decimated by injury and can’t field a competitive lineup, Reirdon will have no better luck than Trotz. Let go of your Trotz bone.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did the injury excuse save Oates and GMGM? I legit don't remember our injuries that year.

Missing the playoffs is the litmus test and probably will always be the case with Ted, unless someone convinces him that's not enough at the end of Ovie's career.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
If AV is fired, which looks like he might be, I would instantly fire Trotz and hire him

This has the same look and feeling as the Bruce and Hanlon firing seasons

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If AV is fired, which looks like he might be, I would instantly fire Trotz and hire him

This has the same look and feeling as the Bruce and Hanlon firing seasons

I don't think it has the look or feeling, but it does have the background factors that contain the potential. We don't see the desperation and cluelessness that marked the end of those terms. We don't see the losing streaks or the complete dysfunction on the ice. It's still a team that can make the playoffs. When playoff hopes seem to be fading then it will have the look and feel.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I don't think it has the look or feeling, but it does have the background factors that contain the potential. We don't see the desperation and cluelessness that marked the end of those terms. We don't see the losing streaks or the complete dysfunction on the ice. It's still a team that can make the playoffs. When playoff hopes seem to be fading then it will have the look and feel.

We definitely don't look clueless I'll give you that but it just feels like it's coming

Didn't we go 8-0 to start the season when Bruce got canned? It went downhill fast for him

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We definitely don't look clueless I'll give you that but it just feels like it's coming

Didn't we go 8-0 to start the season when Bruce got canned? It went downhill fast for him

7-0.

Then some .500 hockey then a very bad stretch that was the nail in the coffin for BB who'd lost the locker room and was benching/scratching stars, including Ovechkin. The losses were not even close. Most were 2 goal deficits or more.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
3-2-1 isn't a terrible start but the underlying play is ugly so far. Small sample size caveats apply, but the Capitals are currently (stats are adjusted for score and venue):

47% CF% (23rd of 31 teams)
44.49% FF% (30th)
46.19% xGF% (27th)
106.21 PDO (3rd)

Some of this is on the coach, some of this is on the players, and some of this is on the GM. The defense is particular has played poorly with the exception of Djoos who has pleasantly surprised (and whose role should be elevated starting tonight), but also the third line has been getting hammered without generating much of their own offense, the Ovechkin line has been playing too loose on defense, Burakovsky hasn't realized that the net is 6' x 4', etc. The third defensive pairing was always going to be an issue to start the season given the choices made by management in the offseason so while I'd love to blame Ness and Chorney for their poor play it's entirely expected given their skillsets.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did the injury excuse save Oates and GMGM? I legit don't remember our injuries that year.

Missing the playoffs is the litmus test and probably will always be the case with Ted, unless someone convinces him that's not enough at the end of Ovie's career.

I don’t remember either, but I think there’s a clear discernible difference in a team decimated by injury and one who quits on their coach. Any signs of the guys quitting on Barry? Any signs of whackadoodle coaching like Oates?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t remember either, but I think there’s a clear discernible difference in a team decimated by injury and one who quits on their coach. Any signs of the guys quitting on Barry? Any signs of whackadoodle coaching like Oates?

I think there were a few signs last season with some questionable play that you could characterize as "that doesn't look like Trotz hockey", but that's largely under the radar. The closest Trotz has come has been a few comments about the players needing to motivate themselves or similar punting of responsibility. With BB and Oates there were visible conflicts that spilled over into the press.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still want Darryl Sutter, he's been to the finals 3 times in his last 8 seasons.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
3-2-1 isn't a terrible start but the underlying play is ugly so far. Small sample size caveats apply, but the Capitals are currently (stats are adjusted for score and venue):

47% CF% (23rd of 31 teams)
44.49% FF% (30th)
46.19% xGF% (27th)
106.21 PDO (3rd)

Some of this is on the coach, some of this is on the players, and some of this is on the GM. The defense is particular has played poorly with the exception of Djoos who has pleasantly surprised (and whose role should be elevated starting tonight), but also the third line has been getting hammered without generating much of their own offense, the Ovechkin line has been playing too loose on defense, Burakovsky hasn't realized that the net is 6' x 4', etc. The third defensive pairing was always going to be an issue to start the season given the choices made by management in the offseason so while I'd love to blame Ness and Chorney for their poor play it's entirely expected given their skillsets.

Yep.

We're one of the luckiest teams in the league so far, and I don't expect Trotz to know how to optimize his lineup given his history.

8-92-13 are at 44.61% CF and 47.18% xGF which was to be expected when you look at the results the 8-92-65 line got last season (44.26% CF and 29.72% xGF).

I'd go

8-92-77 (56.99% CF and 63.49% xGF last season) v.s. 65-19-77 who are at 55.04% CF and 55.22% xGF this season.
13-19-65 (Nicky can do what Crosby did for Sheary and Guentzel)
10-20-43 (55.66% CF and 79.81% xGF in 13.8 minutes this season)
79-83-25 (63.72% CF and 66.35% xGF in 13.6 minutes this season)

4-9 (55.35% CF and 69.31% xGF in 58.07 minutes last season)
29-74 (69.71% CF and 81.34% xGF in 24.02 minutes this season)
44-22 (6.43%CF and 0% xGF in 5.33 minutes this season) OOF

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Line selection by stats addition. Interesting concept for the paper world.

You don’t think there are some benefits to Vrana playing opposite Ovy from a development perspective?

All this worrying about lines is overrated this early. Long season. Things will shake out eventually and most combos will be tried by April.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Line selection by stats addition. Interesting concept for the paper world.

You don’t think there are some benefits to Vrana playing opposite Ovy from a development perspective?

All this worrying about lines is overrated this early. Long season. Things will shake out eventually and most combos will be tried by April.

I actually kind of agree. I'd let the lines play a little longer and try to let them develop better chemistry.

Of course I'm worried about Trotz getting too comfortable with the lines like he usually does but OTOH the team probably isn't good enough to keep the same lines for 2/3 of the season like he did last season, not to mention injuries will happen at forward.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If the team is decimated by injury and can’t field a competitive lineup, Reirdon will have no better luck than Trotz. Let go of your Trotz bone.

If the Trotz team at full health can’t get past round 2, why is he even here? It is speculation that Reirden will have no better luck than Trotz. Many teams came calling for him, presumed for a reason. Why would they promote him, yet not extend Barry? If you knew you'd be in the game, not at home trying to hone your bone. :wg:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
How did Pitt win the cup with their clown D, and Letang out?

Coaching. Proper prospect development. The System. It can be done. Barry doesn't deserve a 21st year because a Dman broke his hand in early October.

They have 4 players who are efficient every game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If the Trotz team at full health can’t get past round 2, why is he even here? It is speculation that Reirden will have no better luck than Trotz. Many teams came calling for him, presumed for a reason. Why would they promote him, yet not extend Barry? If you knew you'd be in the game, not at home trying to hone your bone. :wg:

Because he CAN get them to at least the 2nd round and the alternatives could always be worse? Spitballing. I’ve already said I believe they would hire from within in the case of a mid-season firing. Not so sure Reirdon is getting the job in an offseason at large search but maybe he does...

You guys are going to lose your minds if Trotz gets extended....lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Trotz couldn't get the guys to win with the strongest roster in the league and no real holes on paper. Why would he expect him to do better with worse?

They are the Caps. You would expect them to better under what circumstances.? This team is probably better than the 98 team.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They are the Caps. You would expect them to better under what circumstances.? This team is probably better than the 98 team.

Two reasons. First, and most important, their are a lot of teams better in this league than the 98 team. I think there's a lot of teams now that'd have won that series without much issue.

Secondly, that was just a goalie getting hot. That has nothing to do with the Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad