Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
7-0.

Then some .500 hockey then a very bad stretch that was the nail in the coffin for BB who'd lost the locker room and was benching/scratching stars, including Ovechkin. The losses were not even close. Most were 2 goal deficits or more.

A streak like that season will be the undoing for Trotz. That was a brutal losing streak.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Two reasons. First, and most important, their are a lot of teams better in this league than the 98 team. I think there's a lot of teams now that'd have won that series without much issue.

Secondly, that was just a goalie getting hot. That has nothing to do with the Coach.

There were a lot of teams in the nhl in 98 that were better. Holtby cant get Kolzig hot? You don't think Ron Wilson maximized what assets he had? I think the keys right now are can Ov Backstrom Kuzy and Oshie keep it going and can Holtby be Vezina Holtby?

BTW...I must have missed the answer. Did Niskanen break something? Wrist, finger, hand?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They have 4 players who are efficient every game.

Exactly. We need our top 4 to carry our team. Commiserate with their lofty salaries.

Although the support players in Pitt sure outperformed ours as well. From goalie up to their top line.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
There is a thread on the trade&rumors board: "Jason Garrison to the Oilers -- what would it take?" Every time when i see it, I read it as "John Carlson". My heart stops... as i imagine that the Oilers are desperate for John Carlson and trade their unprotected first round pick to us in exchange and then they miss the playoffs and with their luck, their pick wins the lottery...

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Exactly. We need our top 4 to carry our team. Commiserate with their lofty salaries.

Although the support players in Pitt sure outperformed ours as well. From goalie up to their top line.

In fact my post was a little bite sarcastic :D. We don't think about the same 4 "players" sorry:D
I was talking about those "players" who changes every game, don't have the same jersey as pit, but still efficient for Pit.

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bura scored 17 goals two years ago as a 19-20 year old. What the hell happened? His ice time is up by 2 and a half minutes per game but his production and play have been mediocre to bad.

Has he leveled off as a half point per game guy with a 20 goal ceiling? IMO he was expected to be more than that. I know he's only 22 and has about 230 games in the NHL, but he sure seems to be taking steps backward even though we've heard he's expected to break out, seeing a sports psychologist, etc.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Bura scored 17 goals two years ago as a 19-20 year old. What the hell happened? His ice time is up by 2 and a half minutes per game but his production and play have been mediocre to bad.

Has he leveled off as a half point per game guy with a 20 goal ceiling? IMO he was expected to be more than that. I know he's only 22 and has about 230 games in the NHL, but he sure seems to be taking steps backward even though we've heard he's expected to break out, seeing a sports psychologist, etc.

I still feel it's a coaching issue. Evertyime Dre's had adversity, they've never really done anything to work him through it. They've sat him down, told him to reset, and try again next time. So all he does is goes through these super hot and then super cold periods where the only way he know's how to get out of one is to sit down and reset.

To me, he's the exact same player that came up at 19. They've done nothing to develop him at all.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
To me, he's the exact same player that came up at 19. They've done nothing to develop him at all.
Other than defense and physical play, yeah, which is par for the course for all of their prospects. They've done nothing to help him evolve into a smarter attacking player. It also may be that as the league has trended more toward speed that his style is increasingly common but, yeah, he's also not given teams other things to think about aside from weak curl and drags and wild shots.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
From Elliot Friedman

6. It’s no secret Washington is looking for defencemen. Everyone talks Vegas, but the Capitals and Golden Knights couldn’t make a Philipp Grubauer trade to protect Nate Schmidt in the expansion draft, so I don’t know how easy it will be. Vegas’s preference is to move from the left side. Tuesday’s three scratches all shoot that way — Jason Garrison, Brayden McNabband Griffin Reinhart. Another lefty shot, Luca Sbisa, has four assists in six games.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
From Elliot Friedman
As Hivemind said, McNabb would be a very solid adder. I have given up on the Schmidt back to DC dream. its over.

I think we could get McNabb for something inexpensive. 4th or higher draft choice or a player like Stephenson or Boyd. Waive Ness and have them retain 50%. Make Chorney the 7th D again.

McNabb could play with Orlov for the short term, and then battle is out w Djoos to be Carlson partner this year. Allow Orpik/Bowey to simply the 3rd pair. if Bowey can play up, then great problem to have

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Vegas fans on the trade board were not fond of Vegas retaining anything on McNabb. Makes it much harder to complete a deal that can work once Nisky is off LTIR.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Vegas fans on the trade board were not fond of Vegas retaining anything on McNabb. Makes it much harder to complete a deal that can work once Nisky is off LTIR.

You trade for him and when Nisky comes back, you trade him back to Vegas for a lower price. It's profit for them and it helps us short term. If you can sell him back, then you just waive him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why would Vegas want him back? They're trying to reduce their defenseman count. Why would you waste assets on a player you want to waive?

Not to mention waiving it doesn't even fix the problem, as you can only bury the cost of an AHL max contract. He would still cost about $850K against the salary cap even if sent to the AHL.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why would Vegas want him back? They're trying to reduce their defenseman count. Why would you waste assets on a player you want to waive?

Not to mention waiving it doesn't even fix the problem, as you can only bury the cost of an AHL max contract. He would still cost about $850K against the salary cap even if sent to the AHL.

Someone could claim him, he's free depth.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Maybe Andre's lack of development is his own doings. I'd hate to blame the coaching staff for him missing the net constantly. He's playing with Backstrom and Oshie and cant even get going with them! :skeptic:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad