Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I’d bet it’s 70% or more likely they would promote from within, at least for the interim to finish the season.

I'd say 70% Reirdan, 20% Mann, and 10% they go outside. That's if they make the move, which I'm not sure they do unless the team gives up on him.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Still want Vigneault if Trotz is fired. Wanted him years ago before he went to Rangers and still do. Obviously not available right now, but he might very well be soon again...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Rangers fans complain a lot about AV. Obviously he's a good coach and has had good results in the past, going twice to the SCF, but maybe the Rangers fans are onto something here.

@Machinehead, do you mind chiming in with your criticism of AV?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's not get into a AV debate just because one poster says he'd want him to replace Trotz. Neither of those coaches have been fired yet.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A Trotz debate makes sense here (and has already happened). An AV debate makes sense on the Rangers board. No point in discussing AV here until there's an opportunity to hire him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just as I can say what you're talking about is a pointless discussion that doesn't fit into a thread about roster decisions for the Capitals. Get over yourself.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Our catch-all thread for discussing Caps team moves is fine for coach talk, but if someone wanted to start (or dig up) a coaching performance/change thread that would be fine, too.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It’s me. I’m the next head coach of the Washington Capitals. What would you like me to do?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers fans complain a lot about AV. Obviously he's a good coach and has had good results in the past, going twice to the SCF, but maybe the Rangers fans are onto something here.

@Machinehead, do you mind chiming in with your criticism of AV?

Wouldn't you just know it, I wrote an AV rant last night....

AV is known as a good coach, but this isn't the guy from 2011 that most of HF knows. He's really changed.

The first thing is, he's had two really tough losses in the SCF and I think he's just burnt out from it and really prone to panicking. He juggles the lines constantly and even worse, he juggles the system constantly. Frankly, I don't know what our team philosophy is anymore. Oh and BTW, here's a list of McDonagh's partners so far: Shatttenkirk, Smith, DeAngelo, Staal, Holden, and Kampfer. We've played six games. ****ing pick somebody. (Not that McDonagh has been bad with any of them, but it's an example of the constant flip-flopping)

Then there's the turtling. Again, I think this stems from blown leads in the SCF and the guy just panics now. We were great tonight for half the game. Shots were 14-2 Rangers. Then we scored to take a 1-0 lead. From the second we got the lead until the end of the game the Devils absolutely beat the **** out of us. Night and day. And you can't say it's a coincidence because it's happened time and time again. It happened twice in the Ottawa series. It's gotten to the point where we're already in prevent defense up 1-0 in 1st period because the guy is afraid to blow leads. Of course, when you turtle for extended periods, you tend to, you know, blow leads. The more leads we inevitably blow, the more he panics, and the earlier he starts turtling, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Then there's the neglect of the neutral zone, which has always been a habit of his even when he was winning. I ranted about it earlier.

The issues always reflected in the defensive zone and now they're creeping into the offensive zone, which is what everyone sees, but the issue is really the neutral zone.

AV thinks it doesn't exist. He doesn't coach it, and there's no system for it whatsoever. No zone entries allowed, no zone denials allowed, no disrupting allowed, no passing allowed. On offense, you skate to the line and dump it in (and our chase is often dead before it starts because teams are expecting this now). On defense, you do nothing and just back up until the other team has already gained the zone.

The neutral zone is not a thing. Don't coach it, don't play it, don't bother with it. AV hockey.
I like the roster, but it's hard for players to be efficient with all this going on. Look, it's not a perfect roster, but every team has holes. I don't see debilitating holes here that everyone else doesn't put up with. And besides, we won games last year with an inferior roster.

/

Yeah don't do it. You need some fresh ideas. If there's one team that doesn't need an old, burnt out fool wallowing in his own past defeats, it's the Capitals. You're a team trying to get over the hump, you need somebody calm.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Wouldn't you just know it, I wrote an AV rant last night....

AV is known as a good coach, but this isn't the guy from 2011 that most of HF knows. He's really changed.

The first thing is, he's had two really tough losses in the SCF and I think he's just burnt out from it and really prone to panicking. He juggles the lines constantly and even worse, he juggles the system constantly. Frankly, I don't know what our team philosophy is anymore. Oh and BTW, here's a list of McDonagh's partners so far: Shatttenkirk, Smith, DeAngelo, Staal, Holden, and Kampfer. We've played six games. ****ing pick somebody. (Not that McDonagh has been bad with any of them, but it's an example of the constant flip-flopping)

Then there's the turtling. Again, I think this stems from blown leads in the SCF and the guy just panics now. We were great tonight for half the game. Shots were 14-2 Rangers. Then we scored to take a 1-0 lead. From the second we got the lead until the end of the game the Devils absolutely beat the **** out of us. Night and day. And you can't say it's a coincidence because it's happened time and time again. It happened twice in the Ottawa series. It's gotten to the point where we're already in prevent defense up 1-0 in 1st period because the guy is afraid to blow leads. Of course, when you turtle for extended periods, you tend to, you know, blow leads. The more leads we inevitably blow, the more he panics, and the earlier he starts turtling, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Then there's the neglect of the neutral zone, which has always been a habit of his even when he was winning. I ranted about it earlier.

The issues always reflected in the defensive zone and now they're creeping into the offensive zone, which is what everyone sees, but the issue is really the neutral zone.

AV thinks it doesn't exist. He doesn't coach it, and there's no system for it whatsoever. No zone entries allowed, no zone denials allowed, no disrupting allowed, no passing allowed. On offense, you skate to the line and dump it in (and our chase is often dead before it starts because teams are expecting this now). On defense, you do nothing and just back up until the other team has already gained the zone.

The neutral zone is not a thing. Don't coach it, don't play it, don't bother with it. AV hockey.
I like the roster, but it's hard for players to be efficient with all this going on. Look, it's not a perfect roster, but every team has holes. I don't see debilitating holes here that everyone else doesn't put up with. And besides, we won games last year with an inferior roster.

/

Yeah don't do it. You need some fresh ideas. If there's one team that doesn't need an old, burnt out fool wallowing in his own past defeats, it's the Capitals. You're a team trying to get over the hump, you need somebody calm.

Thank you for your valuable contribution. Sounds like the Rangers and the Capitals are roughly in the same place. Good roster backed up by a world class goaltender, with a coach that panics and turtles in big games. Trotz doesn't shuffle lines like crazy, but he has other issues, most notably not trusting young players or just not being good at developing them to their fullest. Trotz has never won anything in his 20 year career, and you can tell the back-to-back losses to the Penguins took a toll on him and the entire organization.

We don't want more of the same.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
No coach could win with this D.

With MAF injuried maybe GMGM goes dumb again and trades us Schimdt for Grubby. Tho he didn't help his value last night.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Maclellan says caps definitely considering trading for a defender but may wait as its early in season

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Maclellan says caps definitely considering trading for a defender but may wait as its early in season

Get Schmidt back.

Fleury has suffered another concussion. At least his third.

Call GMGM. Offer both Grubauer AND Burakovsky.

Rectify our summer blunder of not protecting 88.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Get Schmidt back.

I think it's against the rules.
IIRC we can't have Schmidt back this year. At least, from VGK. Maybe via a third club.
Like Schmidt vs Crosby
and then we trade Gruby to Pit vs Schmidt

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Get Schmidt back.

It would be a mistake to sell low on Burakovsky. If we're going to trade him, might as well wait for him to get hot for his value to increase. Let's be patient with him.

And yes, we can't get Schmidt back.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
It would be a mistake to sell low on Burakovsky. If we're going to trade him, might as well wait for him to get hot for his value to increase. Let's be patient with him.

I see it exact opposite. I think we have watched him three years and now know what he is. Rest of league still thinks he may turn into something. To me, unloading him now is selling high.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I think it's against the rules.
IIRC we can't have Schmidt back this year. At least, from VGK. Maybe via a third club.
Like Schmidt vs Crosby
and then we trade Gruby to Pit vs Schmidt

Crap. Didn't realize about the rules.

But I don't understand this line: 'Like Schmidt v. Crosby.'

What do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad