Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
The 2014-15 Rangers were well out of the playoff race at Thanksgiving . They went on to win the Metro and the President's, without a coaching change. So I guess anything is possible.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Peluso is awful. It still blows my mind that someone within the organization actually targeted him to sign as a free agent when we have tons of players that do exactly what he does and more

Liam deserves the call up after a nice weekend. Scored two goals to help the Bears to 2/3 wins.

As I recall there was speculation that the Peluso signing may have been a response to the Pens acquisition of Ryan Reaves, as Peluso had had a few encounters with Reaves and had been successful against him.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As I recall there was speculation that the Peluso signing may have been a response to the Pens acquisition of Ryan Reaves, as Peluso had had a few encounters with Reaves and had been successful against him.

I still find that angle hard to believe. Of course it would be very Caps-like to make reactionary roster moves instead of being more forward thinking.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not saying I agree with the premise, but there really was no other compelling logic at the time and when somebody noted Peluso's successes against Reaves it seemed like one of the possible straws to grasp.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The 2014-15 Rangers were well out of the playoff race at Thanksgiving . They went on to win the Metro and the President's, without a coaching change. So I guess anything is possible.

They had a really good team. Lundqvist got off to a bad start but he made up for it after. We're not even close to being as good as the 2015 Rangers right now. We're even below the 2015 Capitals IMO.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
They had a really good team. Lundqvist got off to a bad start but he made up for it after. We're not even close to being as good as the 2015 Rangers right now. We're even below the 2015 Capitals IMO.
Nonetheless, it is still possible. Probable? No, I don't think so, either. Even with a healthy roster.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
8 of our first 12 games have been on the road, 13 of our next 18 are at home, in 3 weeks, who knows where this team will be at.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Interesting, I was cleaning the attic and found some old hockey cards from 1990 and it was another Mike Peluso who played for the Blackhawks. Tough guy and a player Keenan liked.

Reactions: RandyHolt

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Interesting, I was cleaning the attic and found some old hockey cards from 1990 and it was another Mike Peluso who played for the Blackhawks. Tough guy and a player Keenan liked.
Later became a member of the Devil'S Crash Line with Bobby Holik and Randy Mckay.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

They were in 8th on Dec. 1st 2014, two points ahead of the 9th place team.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Games/AnyDateStandings.aspx?Date=2014-12-1&League=1

8 of our first 12 games have been on the road, 13 of our next 18 are at home, in 3 weeks, who knows where this team will be at.

Plus getting Niskanen back will really help solidify the D.

Orlov/Nisky
Carlson/Bowey or Djoos
Djoos or Bowey/Orpik

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I would like to see us deal off Connolly (as I mentioned in the game thread). He is not needed, and his 1.5m salary slot could help us get a vet D-man that can take the weight off the rookies and slot out Ness.

McNabb still seems the ideal "get". Vegas needs forwards.

Connolly and a 4th for McNabb. We would need 250k in salary slot, but that shouldnt be too challenging to do. Makes sense for both teams

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I would like to see us deal off Connolly (as I mentioned in the game thread). He is not needed, and his 1.5m salary slot could help us get a vet D-man that can take the weight off the rookies and slot out Ness.

McNabb still seems the ideal "get". Vegas needs forwards.

Connolly and a 4th for McNabb. We would need 250k in salary slot, but that shouldnt be too challenging to do. Makes sense for both teams

A little retention by Vegas
or just have a 22 man roster
and we're under the cap

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
A little retention by Vegas
or just have a 22 man roster
and we're under the cap

They wont retain. They already have 1 slot retained, and you can only have 3 in a season. They would want to save those slots for bigger trades.

You could waive Ness, and then when Burakovsky and Niskanen come back, see where you are. If you need to make another deal, trade Chorney (or waive him too). He'd probably get picked up, is my guess.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Burakovksy/Vrana
Burakovsky/Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Stephenson-Eller-Wilson
Walker-Beagle-Chiasson/DSP
Chiasson/DSP

Orlov-Niskanen
McNabb-Carlson
Djoos/Bowey-Orpik
Djoos/Bowey

Holtby
Grubauer

That should be cap compliant, with room to spare

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’d make that trade but I’m not sure if Vegas would pull the trigger.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
"Caps 365 | After being waived earlier this season, is Chandler Stephenson becoming an impact player? #ALLCAPS "
Already forgot that part.
Wow, we were lucky to see him gone through waivers without beeing claimed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
"Caps 365 | After being waived earlier this season, is Chandler Stephenson becoming an impact player? #ALLCAPS "
Already forgot that part.
Wow, we were lucky to see him gone through waivers without beeing claimed.

This goes to show that you can put a lot of players on waivers and they will clear. 4th liners and 3rd pairing guys clear waivers all the time. Most teams have a Stephenson or a Ness or a Chorney at their disposal, they don't need to claim ours.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’d make that trade but I’m not sure if Vegas would pull the trigger.

I don't know that they'd get much more than a 4th, for McNabb (maybe a 3rd?), and Connolly seems the kind of guy that McPhee would take a shine too as a throw in (who can forget the infamous "sometimes I can get seduced by skill" remark? One thing Connolly has is skill). He's still young, and he's cheap. I think just what the Dr ordered for a team that needs young (ish) possibly top 9 players.

Or Conolly plus a prospect. Wouldn't need to be high end, we have a lot of those too.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Don't care about moving Connelly but why can't we let the kids play D?

They're not winning the Cup, let the kids play and start to put the new D core together.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Don't care about moving Connelly but why can't we let the kids play D?

They're not winning the Cup, let the kids play and start to put the new D core together.

McNabb replaces ChorNess. IF all are healthy, then sure, one of Djoos or Bowey can sit.

You don't just throw away a year of Ovechkin. And if you do, then trade Eller, Carlson, Beagle, etc etc. The FA's. Why hold on to them if you aren't trying to win it all?

What you are proposing is playing the middle, and that has zero chance of winning anything.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
McNabb replaces ChorNess. IF all are healthy, then sure, one of Djoos or Bowey can sit.

You don't just throw away a year of Ovechkin. And if you do, then trade Eller, Carlson, Beagle, etc etc. The FA's. Why hold on to them if you aren't trying to win it all?

What you are proposing is playing the middle, and that has zero chance of winning anything.

Look, I'm a realist, the Ovechkin era is over, this is Kuzy/Backstrom's team now. Ovechkin can be a cog, but he won't be the main key to the teams success anymore. And you will not find a bigger Ovie fan than me.

This years draft is stocked with talent like 1-10 are top end skill guys. I would rather play the kids and miss the playoffs than finish barely in or out of a playoff spot and pick 16th or lose to the Lightening in the 1st round.

It's a win/win for the organization as far as I'm concerned. Bowey/Djoos get a year in, Johanson/Sieg/Hobbs are a year closer, Orpik is probably bought out AND the Caps potentially get a really good player in the draft.

I'm thinking big picture, like the Leafs front office did I guess.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s dumb to throw in the towel like that. It’s also fantasy that Ted would do that. Getting lucky in the lottery isn’t thinking big picture, it’s rolling the dice that probably won’t fall your way.

The Ovechkin era is over when he’s gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad