Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Statistics say that if your team is far outside of a playoff spot around Thanksgiving, you're screwed. As of today, according to Hockey-Reference, the Caps have a 33.9% chance of making the playoffs. For comparison's sake, the Penguins are the next team above us with a 34.8% chance of making it, and we all know they'll be a playoff team for sure. The Rangers are in trouble though, they're last in the East with a 13.8% chance of making it.

We're still close enough to have a chance of making it, but Trotz and GMBM must be feeling the heat. Leonsis is firing both of them if the Caps don't make the playoffs, injuries won't be a valid excuse here.

no chance GMBM gets fired. Zero. Leonsis doesnt fire people at that level. Ever. Their contracts run out and dont get renewed (Unseld and McPhee). He doesnt fire them,

Trotz is a lame duck coach as it is. So he may get let go early, but no chance MacLellan does

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Apparently the best way for Tj oshie to score on the pp is to not even tell him what's going on haha

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Saw today's practice pairs on the internets. Maybe it's wrong... but it would be weird if someone did type Chorney-Ness as a joke to troll me.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
no chance GMBM gets fired. Zero. Leonsis doesnt fire people at that level. Ever. Their contracts run out and dont get renewed (Unseld and McPhee). He doesnt fire them,

Trotz is a lame duck coach as it is. So he may get let go early, but no chance MacLellan does

There's a first for everything. I appreciated GMBM's work these past two years but he bombed the offseason. If the Caps miss the playoffs, he gets a share of the blame, as much as Trotz and the players.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Statistics say that if your team is far outside of a playoff spot around Thanksgiving, you're screwed. As of today, according to Hockey-Reference, the Caps have a 33.9% chance of making the playoffs. For comparison's sake, the Penguins are the next team above us with a 34.8% chance of making it, and we all know they'll be a playoff team for sure. The Rangers are in trouble though, they're last in the East with a 13.8% chance of making it.

We're still close enough to have a chance of making it, but Trotz and GMBM must be feeling the heat. Leonsis is firing both of them if the Caps don't make the playoffs, injuries won't be a valid excuse here.

Yep, if on Dec 1st you are more than five points out of a playoff spot your season is basically over.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yep, if on Dec 1st you are more than five points out of a playoff spot your season is basically over.

yes making up five points in 4 1/2 months is nearly impossible :eyeroll:

the reason it happens so little is because it's usually bad teams that are 5 points outside the playoffs and good teams that are in the playoffs, but once in a while someone is where they shouldn't belong.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

the reason it happens so little is because it's usually bad teams that are 5 points outside the playoffs and good teams that are in the playoffs, but once in a while someone is where they shouldn't belong.

Actually the reason it happens, according to the study that was done, is the 3 point game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Not really sure what else BMac could have done to give this team a better chance the last 2 seasons.

No problems with him at all from me.

Kind of wish he acquired a third line winger, I thought Connolly's February month was a fluke as it turned out to be. But I'm just nitpicking and not many forwards went at the deadline.

I think he's still better than 80% of GMs out there.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caps recall Liam obrien and send down peluso to ahl
Peluso is awful. It still blows my mind that someone within the organization actually targeted him to sign as a free agent when we have tons of players that do exactly what he does and more

Liam deserves the call up after a nice weekend. Scored two goals to help the Bears to 2/3 wins.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Peluso is awful. It still blows my mind that someone within the organization actually targeted him to sign as a free agent when we have tons of players that do exactly what he does and more

Who could have known that a guy who averaged less than 6 minutes a night and totaled only 14 points over 142 NHL games before his two games in Washington would be useless.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

I do think if you sub Burakovsky in for Stephenson, that's the best lineup the Caps can muster with this group. I still think they could/should make a move for a 3rd D, but that team can at least make the dance in my opinion.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

If we find ourselves 5 points outside of a playoff spot in December, we're probably a bad team. It's really hard to catch up to the last wildcard team when you're out by 5 points or more. Usually the gap just gets bigger over the season. This really puts into perspective our back-to-back President's Trophies. We had incredible teams, we locked a playoff spot more than a month in advance.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If we find ourselves 5 points outside of a playoff spot in December, we're probably a bad team. It's really hard to catch up to the last wildcard team when you're out by 5 points or more. Usually the gap just gets bigger over the season. This really puts into perspective our back-to-back President's Trophies. We had incredible teams, we locked a playoff spot more than a month in advance.

We need a November like we had with Trotz in his first year here. Of course that is asking a lot with all the injuries. If somehow the Caps can hunker down until Nisky is back, I think they will be ok. I really hate salary caps.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We need a November like we had with Trotz in his first year here. Of course that is asking a lot with all the injuries. If somehow the Caps can hunker down until Nisky is back, I think they will be ok. I really hate salary caps.

I just read this morning that 13 of our next 18 games are at home. We're below .500 right now, but if we come out of that 18 game stretch below .500, we're screwed. This 18 game stretch is supposedly the easy part of our schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad