Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Absolutely NOTHING on Dev Camp, that begins today anywhere. Caps website, twitter, Kettler website, nothing.

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. The only thing I know for sure is the alumni game is tomorrow night and that is not something I'm interested in. I want to see Alexeyev and Samsanov and the other kids.
Yeah, i didn't even know it began today.

IIRC, the first day usually isn't anything that's open to the public anyway. No on-ice stuff.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Actually I think I'd take them both back before DSP and Jerabek. I'm in total agreement with NBTW regarding faceoffs. For some reason some don't value this skill, but I do especially when it's occurring in your defensive end and in meaningful games. Remember Fehr losing a faceoff in OT in game 7 to the Rangers with Stepan scoring the winner. Also remember Boudreau putting Steckel out there for defensive faceoffs and once he won them him immediately skating to the bench to be replaced. Faceoffs are important.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'd rather bring back Beagle than Orpik,

One thing I'm worried about is the Caps going into 2017-18 with a set roster, that's didn't work before and it might be wise to have spots up for grabs.

That is why you almost have to let Beagle go. Top 9 and top 4 (I am thinking Kempny re-signs) is set let their be a ton of competition for the last two D spots and 12/13 forward spot. Hungry players are better and raise everybody else up.

This will push Burakovsky, Vrana, Connelley, Djoos, Bowey, etc.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
That is why you almost have to let Beagle go. Top 9 and top 4 (I am thinking Kempny re-signs) is set let their be a ton of competition for the last two D spots and 12/13 forward spot. Hungry players are better and raise everybody else up.

This past season with four rookies in the line up most nights was an anomaly. Fortunately it worked out. Chiasson is gone, so that's one slot open for competition. There will be injuries so there will be opportunities for competition. I don't see a Beagle re-signing as blocking anyone rather I see it as another coach out there that's teaching the utes the right way to play, same goes with Orpik. Unless Connolly has an outstanding season, I can see him being gone this time next year. The team doesn't need to have to rush everyone on board at once. The one issue with Beagle is that the term will be more important to him at his age. He's looking for a three year contract.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I think that's the plus side to letting them go, but I don't doubt we will miss Beagle. Maybe Stephenson can take over his role though. Orpik had a nice playoff run and I'd like him back, but he was pretty bad in the regular season and in other playoffs, I think he's also pretty replaceable.

I think it just comes down to how much room we have. And given Wilson and Pelly's RFA status we probably won't have an answer fast enough to bring both of them back, possibly neither. Which is fine.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
9. Now that John Carlson has signed, Washington will try and keep Michal Kempny. Much more interest now than at the deadline, but the Capitals are still in it. Since Colorado bought out Brooks Orpik, he can return to Washington at a new salary. Someone is going to make it very difficult for Jay Beagle to stay. He’s got a lot of respect around the league for what he does. Carlson’s signing thrusts Erik Karlsson back into the spotlight, with Ottawa trying to create a bigger market for his services

From friedman thoughts

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Beagle will wait it out for whatever the Caps can make work...he's that kinda dude.

Would he wait until August? RFA situations can drag on.

As Friedman says, he's well respected and I think some team will offer him 2.0+ for 3 years.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I have them with ~$14.6M in cap space with 9F/4D/1G. Adding Wilson (4.25), Kempny (2.75), DSP (1.5), Orpik (1.5) and Bowey (0.75) leaves ~$3.85M to spend on two forwards and a back-up goaltender. They've talked about Copley but there should be enough room to spend $1M on a more reliable veteran. They could perhaps bring Beagle back @$2M if term can be hashed out. Then spend the remainder either on a league minimum extra forward or close to it. They could seek out trades of Burakovsky or potentially Bowey depending on their value. Or roll with Stephenson @ 4C and spend more on a winger instead. That assumes those numbers for the first group of players are workable. Wilson could come in higher if given more term. But it hopefully shouldn't be too far off.

I do wonder what to do w Bowey. If both Kempny and Orpik do indeed come back, then where does Bowey get his playing time? Unless it’s a 2-way deal for him, he’d be stuck in the Taylor Chorney role w the team. And that’s not at all going to work for his development. Simply poor decisions.

Someone like Jerabek is far better suited for that role. Or a journeyman.

Perhaps a trade of Bowey makes the most sense. Versus him sitting or being lost on waivers. It will all shake out once the dust settles re: Kempny and Orpik. IF Orpik gets bought out in the next day or so. We can sign him ASAP. If that’s what everyone wants. We should know well before July 1st.

First world problems!

Reactions: calicapsfan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
First world problems!
Indeed. Bowey will have to clear waivers, which is why I mainly put him in that category of maybe being an asset to move.

Anthony Duclair reportedly won't get a QO from Chicago. More of a project than Rieder, though.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Id be fine with 3 years 1.75 per...somewhere arround there.

It will be north of 2m, IMO...just how far north.

I was hoping for a 2yr deal, for 2.25m ish. I wouldnt get upset at 2.5 to 2.6m per. But only 2 years.

That then leads to the other stuff I was talking about.....the logjam of defensemen. Their may not be room for both Kempny and Orpik.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Now that the "what do you do if Carlson doesn't extend?" situation is no longer valid, the next query is: what do you do if Kempny doesn't extend?

I'm thinking Ian Cole. Reasonably good skater, good enough puck mover, still only 29, and two Cup runs of playoff experience.

John Moore was previously mentioned. His skating is elite, but not sure I like the hockey sense enough to be paired with 74.

I didn't see him at all this year, but does Hamhuis have anything left? Might not be a bad 1 year option.

Jack Johnson might be a potentially homerun cheapish option. Not sure how much of a pay cut he'll take, but the downswing in production surely hits him on the market.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

This would mean no Orpik, either. I dont see it.

Sure.....team did better when things werent so "set", but that was BC (Before Cup). Everything was about getting over the hump. Now that we are AD (After Dominating), I dont think its as big of a thing.

AD to me means trying to keep the synergies that were created BC. So that to me means bringing back as much of the gang as you can. And ALL of this is under the auspice that we have a new bench boss....so the old syndromes BC are all gone now that we are AD.

If you all follow me :teach:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It will be north of 2m, IMO...just how far north.

I was hoping for a 2yr deal, for 2.25m ish. I wouldnt get upset at 2.5 to 2.6m per. But only 2 years.

That then leads to the other stuff I was talking about.....the logjam of defensemen. Their may not be room for both Kempny and Orpik.
This is a good point to bring up. That age 20-23 bracket has 5 potential NHL guys: Bowey, Djoos, Siegenthaler, Johansen, Hobbs. At some point, some of them will have to be moved. Might be the best way to build some forward depth in the system.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Now that the "what do you do if Carlson doesn't extend?" situation is no longer valid, the next query is: what do you do if Kempny doesn't extend?
Enstrom was also mentioned recently but I think he's smaller than they'd probably like. That's basically it among FAs. Hickey can skate somewhat but he's also on the smaller side.

Aside from maybe Cole I think they'd just run with Djoos.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Orlov-Niskanen
Djoos-Carlson
Cole/Johnson-Bowey

If the kids can't hack it consistently, grab a vet D at the deadline and push him or Johnson up to the second pair. Edler, Methot, Hjalmarsson, or, if things go badly in St. Louis, Bouwmeester are all potentially available.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ian Cole is getting 4 mil, this is why the Pens dumped him, well that and apparently Sullivan didn't like him.

DuClair from all reports has all the tools but no tool box, three teams have seen it now, pass.

I also think the Caps would be stupid to offer Beagle more than 2 x 2 and even then I don't feel good about that, not when they have Stephenson ready to slide in to his spot. Give any of Walker, Gersich, Barber, DSP flanking Stephenson and you have a pretty damn good 4th line. With two of those guys being able to jump up if needed.

Jack Johnson is intriguing but doubtful Caps can afford him as he will want top four money even though he isn't a true top four player.

Lastly, all of the cards are with the Capitals when it comes to DSP, give him a short deal for an ok bump, 1.5 maybe, and let's see if he can play the way he played in the playoffs again.

Reactions: Maldini

Jun 15, 2007
1.5m makes Orpik whole (ish, if you don't account for time value of money)

Anything more than that is a pass for me, I think.

I think it's telling the Avs couldn't find a buyer for Orpik even at 50% retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad