Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Random realization I just had: Ovechkin is the oldest player on the team. Good lord.
This team is much younger than most people realize. They could still be contending for years to come. That is as long as Ovechkin takes care of himself the way he needs to which I don't doubt that he will.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I want a joint Carlson/Kempny/reirden press conference with Orpik as a surprise guest.
It would be cool to get Orpik back cheap but really we need to figure something out with Bowey now. Does Orpik really want to split time with one of Bowey or Djoos cause we can't sit one or the other in the press box all year. They need to continue to develop at the pro level. It's Bowey's time to shine. He's had plenty of time to develop, he just turned 23 and was part of a successful Stanley Cup run even though he didn't get in a playoff game he was there for it.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
As a RFA Wilson raise shouldn't be that bad. What he does well won't show up in a ARB hearing . could even be used against him with the suspensions

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
If I were Kempny at 27yo, I would want to sign for 2 years to inflate my stats before becoming a UFA again. If I am the Caps, I want 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Do we have money left over for an upgrade...
Wilson RFA
DSP RFA
Kempny 3.5 or less
Beagle gone
Orpik discount

I see us with 3-4 mill to play with... Maybe Green or another top 9 forward.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I have them with ~$14.6M in cap space with 9F/4D/1G. Adding Wilson (4.25), Kempny (2.75), DSP (1.5), Orpik (1.5) and Bowey (0.75) leaves ~$3.85M to spend on two forwards and a back-up goaltender. They've talked about Copley but there should be enough room to spend $1M on a more reliable veteran. They could perhaps bring Beagle back @$2M if term can be hashed out. Then spend the remainder either on a league minimum extra forward or close to it. They could seek out trades of Burakovsky or potentially Bowey depending on their value. Or roll with Stephenson @ 4C and spend more on a winger instead. That assumes those numbers for the first group of players are workable. Wilson could come in higher if given more term. But it hopefully shouldn't be too far off.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
If I’m Wilsons agent...1 year deal at like 4 and then playing the entire season on a line with 8 and 92?

Back the cash dump truck up!

If I’m the Caps...try for long term (5 or 6 years at whatever) and hope Wilson really wants to make a few runs at it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
If I’m Wilsons agent...1 year deal at like 4 and then playing the entire season on a line with 8 and 92?

Back the cash dump truck up!

If I’m the Caps...try for long term (5 or 6 years at whatever) and hope Wilson really wants to make a few runs at it.
Teams frequently look to trade players during the final year of their contract, so a 1-year deal may not work out so well for Wilson. Also, teams tend not to invest a lot of effort (= pp time, 1st line time) developing younger players who may depart in a year or two. If I am Wilson's agent, I push for a 3-year deal. I don't mind that deal if I am the Caps.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Get outta here with wanting Orpik back. I thank him for his service but it's time to move on.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I would take him back for ~$1.5M, but I can’t shake the feeling that Orpik will take his buyout money from the Avs, retire, and promptly join Reirden’s staff.

No way, he can probably snag a 1-2 year 3 million deal like Girardi did last year.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
No way, he can probably snag a 1-2 year 3 million deal like Girardi did last year.
Sure he can and maybe he will. But he’s a smart guy. He has to be at least thinking about going out on top. If he does, why not come back and coach guys who already know and respect him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad