Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sure he can and maybe he will. But he’s a smart guy. He has to be at least thinking about going out on top. If he does, why not come back and coach guys who already know and respect him?

He could probably come out and coach for a low 6 figure salary in 2 years after still collecting a respectable 7 figure one and playing the sport a bit longer

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
If allowed, I offer Orpik a base salary of $1.5M (the amount he gave up with the buyout) plus another $250K per playoff series win, as well as the promise of a 6-figure coaching job when he is ready.

Edit: I see now that performance bonuses are not permitted for playoff wins. Darn. Thus, I up my offer to Orpik to $1.75M for one year or $2.5M ($1.5M + $1M) for two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik is not gonna hang them up. I could see him joining another contender in need of depth, physical D for cheap. I could see him sign in a place like San Jose or something.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Do they win the cup in 2016 if they keep Laich on the roster Locker room seemed just as tight until he was traded

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Do they win the cup in 2016 if they keep Laich on the roster Locker room seemed just as tight until he was traded

giphy.webp

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

No. Obviously you did, and I can't speak for everyone, but I never once got the impression the locker-room cared or loved Brooks Laich (or by extension Troy Brouwer during his time) the way they've loved Orpik. I think the only players that ever came close were maybe Ward...?

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
No. Obviously you did, and I can't speak for everyone, but I never once got the impression the locker-room cared or loved Brooks Laich (or by extension Troy Brouwer during his time) the way they've loved Orpik. I think the only players that ever came close were maybe Ward...?

For some reason I always got the impression F16 was a good locker room guy.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I'm not sure I get why so many people are pushing for Orpik to head straight into coaching for the Caps - surely it comes down to more than just respect and playing experience to be a good coach?

I think bringing him back at ~$1m or less with the understanding that he'd be rotating in and out throughout the season but looked to to help the younger guys would be a great decision.

Any money above that would have to come after everyone else is signed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik hate. Compare him to Laich. Its true, there are some here that wouldn't want him to play for free. My read is that he not only returns but continues to sign one year contracts for a couple of years beyond that. Oh, the humanity!!!

Next....DO NOT give Kempny anything but a 3rd pair defenseman contract. If he wants top 4 money, let him go. If he is rejecting contract offers, let him go.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thoughts on Kempny. Did Djoos do well with Carlson.... is Jerabek expected back, what about Orpik. Are Siggy or Lucas ready? I assume we will let Bowey cut his teeth again this year so RD may be set. LD will quickly become a clogged pipe. I may be alone but consider Jerabek and Kempny as close to equals. Does Reirden want vets or kids?

The kids must hate seeing vets signed in front of them.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Orpik hate. Compare him to Laich. Its true, there are some here that wouldn't want him to play for free. My read is that he not only returns but continues to sign one year contracts for a couple of years beyond that. Oh, the humanity!!!

Next....DO NOT give Kempny anything but a 3rd pair defenseman contract. If he wants top 4 money, let him go. If he is rejecting contract offers, let him go.
Id be fine with 3 years 1.75 per...somewhere arround there.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Who has more value to this team next season, Jay Beagle or Brooks Orpik? I want them both back, but if you had to choose who would it be.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Orpik and it's not even close
Meh. I think it's about even. The Caps don't currently have anyone to fill either of their roles. I'm a big believer that faceoffs are more important than the statheads would lead you to believe. Nobody in the Caps lineup is anything more than average in the FO department right now, and Boyd is the only RH guy at all.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Faceoffs is a skill that can be learned. If you tell Eller or Stephson to work on faceoff all summer I'm sure they can get up to speed.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Absolutely NOTHING on Dev Camp, that begins today anywhere. Caps website, twitter, Kettler website, nothing.

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. The only thing I know for sure is the alumni game is tomorrow night and that is not something I'm interested in. I want to see Alexeyev and Samsanov and the other kids.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd rather bring back Beagle than Orpik, Mainly because I think we have more Defensemen ready to take the next step towards the NHL than we have forwards. I also think Beagle has a few good years left in him, Im not sure how many Orpik has.

In the meantime I'd like to see Kempny and Orlov each get a bigger PK role, while Johansen, Bowey, Sieg, Hobbs, get chances on the third pairing. If you're worried about two young Dman together play Djoos with Carlson and Kempny with the young guys.

One thing I'm worried about is the Caps going into 2017-18 with a set roster, that's didn't work before and it might be wise to have spots up for grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad