Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
:facepalm:

I legit don’t understand the impulse to all-star the roster after we just saw that this team succeeded with fewer big names and more chemistry and commitment.

You already forgot the superstar players Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Carlson and Holtby putting up superstar performances? The playoffs weren't even a month ago.

Also having 2 more players due a cup would have the hockey gods lean in our favor again.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You already forgot the superstar players Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Carlson and Holtby putting up superstar performances? The playoffs weren't even a month ago.
What I mean is, they don’t need to load up. Our core great players got the job done when surrounded by the right complementary players not a bunch of other superstars.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
What I mean is, they don’t need to load up. Our core great players got the job done when surrounded by the right role players not a bunch of other superstars.

We don't need to do anything, we just won a cup, they can go shoot up heroin in Mexico for all we care now.

But if you expect all our bottom players contribute so much above their paygrade and career norms for a second straight year it's extremely unlikely, you might as well be expecting Vegas to repeat their performances. All the other teams have Brett Connollys and Lars Ellers and DSPs of their own, and it's a coinflip if our guys outplay Cedric Paquette or Alex Killorn or Austin Watson or Bryan Rust or all the other potential playoff heroes out there who have the same underlying fundamentals and could all stumble onto their own Druce mode. There's a reason Pittsburgh was the only team to repeat since Detroit which was the only team to repeat since Pittsburgh, and that reason is that they were all loaded with star players out the ass. Anaheim 2007 had probably the most lauded lunchpail bottom 6 in history and they've been nowhere to be seen since.

Plus that roster would be siiiickkkkk during the season which is like 9 months which should also be fun.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Does anyone know what the average age of the last 10 cup winning teams was? I figure we probably scale to the average range. Anyways, my point is we were really fortunate with injuries this year, most of our players went the distance, next year given fatigue from the run and just the injury bug regressing to the mean, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of our youth get a chance. Pinho, Gersich, Walker, Boyd, Bowey, Siegenthaler, even Johansen could all see some decent chunk age of games. That's exciting to me.

Frankly, now more than ever, I realize the regular season is pointless. I would prefer we **** around with our rosters then. Just make the playoffs is really all you need to accomplish. Even the BS positioning for home ice or for opponent is pointless. Think of how none of that mattered in the least.

While yes the home ice has been ment nothing lately, the seeding does help with the opponent, at least first round.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All other teams don’t have Lars sellers and DSPs in tandem with Ovechkins and Backstroms. That’s my point. It’s the mix that matters. Like baking a cake. If all you have is butter and sugar you can have something sweet but it still won’t work. Likewise flour and milk will get you a batter but it’s bland. You need all four in the right proportions.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We don't need to do anything, we just won a cup, they can go shoot up heroin in Mexico for all we care now.

Phew, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. :laugh:

I can't even think about next season, or who's on the team, etc. I can't believe how little I care.

I just want to go to Dev Camp and pick up some swag and see the draft picks and Samsanov, and maybe find the Cup sitting around somewhere at Kettler.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Here’s what I’m thinking.

Re-sign:
Carlson 8x8M
Wilson 5x3,75M
Kempny 3x2M
DSP 2x1,25M
Bowey 2x850k
Jerabek 2x850k
Boyd 2x700k

Let Beagle and Chiasson walk

Trade 1. Burakovsky to Anaheim for Silfverberg and a conditional 2nd 2020 (if Silfverberg doesn’t re-sign).
Ducks save 500k in salary and 750k in capspace. Silfverberg’s a UFA after next season while Burakovsky is costcontrolled a for a few more years. Ducks also need more left shooting players in their top-9, while Caps can use Silfverberg’s defensive prowess on the P.K. and his nifty shot on PP2.

Trade 2. Connolly and Lucas Johansen to Detroit for Athanasiou, Jensen and NYI 2nd 2019.
Detroit struggled to re-sign AA last year and could use a close to NHL ready D prospect in Johansen as well as make room for Zadina after adding him and Veleno in the first round of the draft this year. Caps are really deep at the LD position and adds two great skaters to increase the team speed even further and a high pick in next years draft..

Sign Athanasiou to a 3x2,75M contract.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Athanasiou-Eller-Silfverberg
AFJ-Stephenson-DSP
Walker-Boyd

Orlov-Niskanen
Kempny-Carlson
Djoos-Jensen
Jerabek

Holtby-Copley

Caphit: $78,506,795 (capspace: $993,205)

Have Bowey, Gersich, Pinho, Barber, Samsonov play top minutes in Hershey. (If Bowey’s not waiver exempt, Jerabek should also not be re-signed).

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Average age seems like a pointless metric, it's completely different thing if you win a cup powered by under 23 Toews/Kane like stars vs winning a cup powered by an older core with the young guys being depth on the bottom lines and pairing
I just meant that recoup time is definitely impacted by age.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
All other teams don’t have Lars sellers and DSPs in tandem with Ovechkins and Backstroms. That’s my point. It’s the mix that matters. Like baking a cake. If all you have is butter and sugar you can have something sweet but it still won’t work. Likewise flour and milk will get you a batter but it’s bland. You need all four in the right proportions.

If that were the case you'd have a lot more repeats. Your cake can have the exact same ingredients but completely fall apart because the calendar year is different. Especially with a different coach. In fact this exact thing happens almost every year

Literally every team in the league has a bunch of dsps, that's why we got him on a league min two way contract lol. We had another dsp in chiasson who could have possibly done the same thing if he was allowed to stay in the lineup and build on his Pittsburgh clutchness

Plus my idea with Kovalchuk Thornton and Karlsson is way more entertaining

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sounds like kempny rejected his contract offer. Isabelle says more discussions will happen tomorrow

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It’s the mix that matters. Like baking a cake. If all you have is butter and sugar you can have something sweet but it still won’t work. Likewise flour and milk will get you a batter but it’s bland. You need all four in the right proportions.
nailfive-e1521145795927.png

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would let beagle walk.
I would rather sign Orpik or Green at a discount rather then overpay Beagle. Stephson can play 4C on a rookie contract.

Kempay may get 3 mill and Wilson 4mill
I think all our Free agents may cost 10-15% more then we wanted

Orpik could come back at the league min after getting buy out money.
DSP is a RFA so he should be cheap if it goes to ARB with his poor RS production

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Beagle already drawing offers from Canucks and prob other teams.
Matt Bradley and Hendricks were like beagle untill they got overpaid. We should not be the team to over pay him

true but beagle is the next name to negotiate with. whether we walk away or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad