Post-Game Talk: Caps/Bruins, 12/7/16, 8:00pm ET, Phone Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
Reffing in the NHL is so broken, just because a team is already on the PK shouldn't give them a free pass to commit penalties without being called. 5 players on the ice and a trip but no calls :dunno:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The thing is with an "under the table deal," it's not official. That's how it works. That means Vegas gets a few days to negotiate directly with those players. There's very little to stop Vegas from throwing a big deal in the direction of Oshie or Alzner during that period. Even if Oshie or Alzner don't end up signing the deal then, it can give them leverage to drive their price up even further.

Plus if McPhee smells an illegal deal in place with a player he's negotiating with, he'd likely report it.

You know McPhee LOATHES overpaying. "Market value and not a penny more" was his mantra for 10 years. I doubt that's happening unless the Owner steps in and does it. Seems unlikely.

What exactly constitutes an illegal deal? All Alzner's agent has to do is say "no thanks" and McPhee isn't "smelling" anything.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
Is there any reason why Beagle is playing as 4c instead if 3c? I'm pretty confident in saying he's outplaying Eller.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Niskanen's return is probable per the team. Likely was in the concussion protocol getting tests.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You know McPhee LOATHES overpaying. "Market value and not a penny more" was his mantra for 10 years. I doubt that's happening unless the Owner steps in and does it. Seems unlikely.

What exactly constitutes an illegal deal? All Alzner's agent has to do is say "no thanks" and McPhee isn't "smelling" anything.

You mean like the time McPhee admitted to overpaying Joel Ward by about 15%? Or when he outbid several other suitors for Michael Nylander? And that was just a day after McPhee outbid the Islanders for Tom Poti's services. He also knows he has to reach the salary floor. Overpaying for one or two free agents is not going to be a big deal for the first 3-4 years of Golden Knights hockey, and will allow them to pick and choose the rest of their roster better.

And Alzner's agent wouldn't be doing his job if he simply turned away a suitor without listening to their offer. Heck, Alzner's agent wouldn't be doing his job if he let the Capitals "agree" to a contract without actually signing it. That's just inviting risk to the player. I'm not saying an under the table deal is impossible, but there's a significant risk involved, both in terms of being caught and in terms of being outbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad