Post-Game Talk: Caps/Bruins, 12/7/16, 8:00pm ET, Phone Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Remember last year when they crusied to a President's Trophy only to lose once again in round 2? A little mid to early season adversity will be good in the long run. The bi-polar nature of the fans on this board have driven many away. It is an 82 game season. The Caps are very talented. The Caps are very good. Don't get too high or too low. The Playoffs will decide the fate of this season.

No. No one remembers.

If you don't dominate the league from game 1 til game 100 whatever. it's a fail.

Obviously.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Might not be over for Radulov. If we can shed some cap space elsewhere, I'd be open to part ways with Oshie and replace him with Radulov. I don't care about his history with Trotz, he's a legit top 10 RW in this league.

This was THE year to get him. He's gonna command 6.5+ long term somewhere now. Plus at this point he'll start declining.

He plays the way Ovechkin used to... just ravenous cocky skill and tenatiousness. Best player to watch after McDavid and Laine right now. If you put him out there with OV and Kuznetsov maybe OV would be inspired enough to get back to the old OV

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hey Caps fans, just wondering what the scoop was on Burakovsky and Carlson.

I was expecting big years from both of them but nothing so far. I understand the team is struggling but whats your perspective on those two individually?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They've both been meh but Burakovsky still most likely has a top 6 future and Carlson is still a top pairing D. Whole team is off except Johansson

Can you trade us the Sedins retained for Burakovsky and whatever else you want that's not core for us. We'll get them a cup and you can rebuild nicely

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What a hilariously lucky victory that was. Stolen by Holtby even despite the few dark minutes he had in the first 2 goals. Capitals had no business being in that game, just like they didn't against the Sabres.

Scoring chances went from 10-2 to 11-17 within 25 minutes. I think Capitals only had 3 after getting 10 early on. 2 of those 3 resulted in a goal.

Edit: 26 minutes 27 seconds without a shot on goal. :laugh:

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
15 minutes... just enough time to figure out collectively which steak house they were going to post game. Good job fellas, more than likely just 15 minutes of sentencing involving to many curse words and not actually solving anything.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You think Mariah Carey's $1 billion insurance policy for her legs was against future earning from Gillette? Just how much do you think they were paying her?

I admit to derpsplaining and not following this whole conversation word for word, but my impression has been that insurance policies can be for whatever amount the company wants to offer vs how much they charge in order to mitigate their perceived risk. If someone wants to take out a zillion dollar policy against the moon crashing into the Earth by 2020, every insurance company in the world is going to take that sucker's money for the next couple of years.

So with player contracts it may just be a matter of policy and practice based on the sports industry and its history. Maybe a Bryce Harper has an easier time gettting an insurance policy that matches his potential earnings compared to a 2nd pair hockey d-man, for instance. And college athletes who are making no money have policies against injury, so there's some consideration for future earnings rolled into that package.

With singers and actors it's probably more about publicity.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Re: the 15 minute player meeting being too short, it depends on what was said in that 15 minutes. And how. And by whom. It doesn't sound like a lot but that's plenty of time to make an impression.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Bergeron S.O.B.
(and Marchand too, just because I hate this guy:naughty: and I don't know why, he reminds me The Little Man from Pink Panther cartoon:laugh:)

I want some good news about Nisky. I hope it's nothing serious. It would be so frustrating if he's not 100% for the rest of the year.

Why on the second goal, just Kuzya got the assist? Ovi should got one too. It's Kuzya + Ovi or unassisted.

Game between Caps and Bruins, and NBC announcers are talking about Crosby and Pens
And, on the first bruins goal, they're qualifying of good play the Moore's interference on Ovi.:help: Good example for the kids who are listening this, and will do this illegal play later on the hockey rinks.:handclap::shakehead

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Re: the 15 minute player meeting being too short, it depends on what was said in that 15 minutes. And how. And by whom. It doesn't sound like a lot but that's plenty of time to make an impression.

I don't recall people tracking the lenth of previous player only post game meetings. 15 minutes sounds short but in the context of that situation I thinks its substantial time.

They are required by league rules to open that locker room up within a certain period of time. There isn't going to be a 45 minute meeting.

Anyone remembering Mike Knuble's rant on the tv show knows that it only takes 60 seconds to ventilate a room proper. My guess is that Oprik talked and maybe Holtby and that's it. The rest listened.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't recall people tracking the lenth of previous player only post game meetings. 15 minutes sounds short but in the context of that situation I thinks its substantial time.

They are required by league rules to open that locker room up within a certain period of time. There isn't going to be a 45 minute meeting.

Anyone remembering Mike Knuble's rant on the tv show knows that it only takes 60 seconds to ventilate a room proper. My guess is that Oprik talked and maybe Holtby and that's it. The rest listened.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/alex-ovechkin/capitals-players-meeting-under.html

10 minute meeting in 2011 in February under BB, for context. Everyone talked.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Did Kuzy make a play? Maybe its just me but the second goal looked like Kuzy got the puck poked off his stick and it went to Williams.

The Niskanen injury could be a really big deal. But he didn't miss a game the last time he was dinged.

I can give him credit skating into the slot around 4 defenders. Good things happen in there. I cant give him credit for making a play that he had no control over. It was not a slick tape to tape pass thru a tight seam or a saucer pass that laid flat. It was a Bruins poke check.

Sorry

It was not a Bruins poke check. Kuznetsov backed enough from Chara to make a saucer pass at the net. I watched it again on the highlights and it never hit Chara's stick.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
How is it possible for Ovie not to get an assist on the second goal last night, once the decision was made to give Kuznetsov an assist? Ovie passes it to Kuz, it's clear as day. What's the rationale for him not getting the helper?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How is it possible for Ovie not to get an assist on the second goal last night, once the decision was made to give Kuznetsov an assist? Ovie passes it to Kuz, it's clear as day. What's the rationale for him not getting the helper?

Clearly a league conspiracy against the Capitals and Ovechkin :rant:

(They'll likely correct it if they decide to look at it again. It probably got screwed up because they originally called in an unassisted goal.)

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Update-If the Caps win their two or three games at hand they'll sit second in the NHL in points, only behind Montreal. They'll be OK.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Normally I wouldn't care but this missing assist puts him 1 point closer to 1000.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You think Mariah Carey's $1 billion insurance policy for her legs was against future earning from Gillette? Just how much do you think they were paying her?

Do you not understand the difference between a "limit" and the value of an insurance policy? A $1B limit policy doesn't mean your salary is $1B.

Go read up on High Limit Personal Disability Insurance. Because that's the exact type of policy you're talking about Alzner taking out. They're typically capped to between 60-75% of your current personal income (not future income), and have hard number limits on both the amount of months you can claim the policy (either aggregate or non-aggregate, depending on the policy) and the total payout. And many insurers won't even cover individuals in high-risk occupations, such as professional athletes (or war correspondents, private security contractors, etc). The firms and policies that do cover high risk occupations charge more for their services.

And, yet again, NHL contracts are guaranteed. If Alzner were to sign a 5 year, $5M per deal, he would be guaranteed all $25M of that contract. You're asking him to pay for a service that would not be necessary if he simply signed earlier. Any sane agent would stress the need to eliminate the possible risk of devaluing future income and take the deal now, rather than exposing yourself to six months of risk before signing the same contract.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
15 minutes.... wow. I could see a captain or vet chirping for a few minutes... 15 is closer to airing dirty laundry.

I think it must be very rare for a player only meeting after consecutive victories. Perhaps it lends credence to those of us that aren't always pleased to no end because we have a winning record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad