Post-Game Talk: Caps/Bruins, 12/7/16, 8:00pm ET, Phone Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A lot of negative in that game but can we please appreciate Kuzy and JDub making plays together again? Also, our best player #19 deserves some praise for getting us the extra point tonight.

Niskanen's injury worries me a lot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A lot of negative in that game but can we please appreciate Kuzy and JDub making plays together again? Also, our best player #19 deserves some praise for getting us the extra point tonight.

I loved Kuzy in the first, but he was back to negative Kuzy in the 2nd and 3rd (particularly the turnover that led directly to a Boston goal).

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
I loved Kuzy in the first, but he was back to negative Kuzy in the 2nd and 3rd (particularly the turnover that led directly to a Boston goal).

How much of that is on the coach though? I can't believe Kuz suddenly turns into a bum after a 1st period like that.

It was a completely different team in the 2nd with the lead.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You think Mariah Carey's $1 billion insurance policy for her legs was against future earning from Gillette? Just how much do you think they were paying her?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

But the whole team turned negative in the 2nd and 3rd. Here's what I think. Whatever ails Kuzy and Burt is a team-wide issue. We see other players struggling just like them for long stretches. J Dub, a veteran among veterans was seen doing the same mistakes as the young guys and looking lost on the ice.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this team. I don't believe that 75% of our players lost their ability to score overnight.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Did Kuzy make a play? Maybe its just me but the second goal looked like Kuzy got the puck poked off his stick and it went to Williams.

The Niskanen injury could be a really big deal. But he didn't miss a game the last time he was dinged.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Remember last year when they crusied to a President's Trophy only to lose once again in round 2? A little mid to early season adversity will be good in the long run. The bi-polar nature of the fans on this board have driven many away. It is an 82 game season. The Caps are very talented. The Caps are very good. Don't get too high or too low. The Playoffs will decide the fate of this season.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuzy deserves credit for two nice plays to set up goals (carrying the puck to a dangerous area often leads to good things) but he also deserves to be criticized when he screws up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kuzy deserves credit for two nice plays to set up goals (carrying the puck to a dangerous area often leads to good things) but he also deserves to be criticized when he screws up.

I can give him credit skating into the slot around 4 defenders. Good things happen in there. I cant give him credit for making a play that he had no control over. It was not a slick tape to tape pass thru a tight seam or a saucer pass that laid flat. It was a Bruins poke check.

Sorry

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Did Kuzy make a play? Maybe its just me but the second goal looked like Kuzy got the puck poked off his stick and it went to Williams.

The Niskanen injury could be a really big deal. But he didn't miss a game the last time he was dinged.

He was going to make that play, the poke check was going in the same direction as his pass. The build up was impressive, the little exchange with Ovi and the deke on Chara. That's vintage Kuzy right there. I liked the sauce on the first goal by J Dub too.

Remember last year when they crusied to a President's Trophy only to lose once again in round 2? A little mid to early season adversity will be good in the long run. The bi-polar nature of the fans on this board have driven many away. It is an 82 game season. The Caps are very talented. The Caps are very good. Don't get too high or too low. The Playoffs will decide the fate of this season.

They won't stay that bad all season, we can only bounce up. But, I don't think we have what it takes to defeat the top teams in the East. NYR + PIT + TBL is too much.

That's all we've been doing. It's nice to have something positive to say about him. Like it or not, we ain't winning the Cup without him at his best.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He made a play that led to a high probability of a good bounce happening. He gets credit for that. The definition of making your own luck.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Oshie you can risk an under the table deal, losing Alzner means they might as well rebuild.

It's weird that they can never snag cheap $$$ players like Panarin/Vesey/Marchessault/Gagner/Grabner that so many good teams hit on.

Hell this offseason should have been GMBM on his knees begging for Radulov to forgive Trotz and come reignite Ovechkin.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oshie you can risk an under the table deal, losing Alzner means they might as well rebuild.

It's weird that they can never snag cheap $$$ players like Panarin/Vesey/Marchessault/Gagner/Grabner that so many good teams hit on.

Hell this offseason should have been GMBM on his knees begging for Radulov to forgive Trotz and come reignite Ovechkin.

Might not be over for Radulov. If we can shed some cap space elsewhere, I'd be open to part ways with Oshie and replace him with Radulov. I don't care about his history with Trotz, he's a legit top 10 RW in this league.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I would too. But promoting Mann is such a Caps move

Penguins have twice promoted their AHL coaches in recent memory. Both times they won the Cup that same season.

Promoting the AHL coach also proved productive for the capitals when they brought up Boudreau.

To me, it's actually a smart move. I don't think trotz is going to get us over the hump in the playoffs. And now I am seeing signs that the players are already tuning him out early in this regular season. They look flat and uninspired. Their offense is atrocious. They have stopped hitting. Players are underperforming all through the roster.

Yes, they currently have a winning record, but so did the penguins when they fired Therrien. When the Penguins fired Johnston last year, their record across two seasons with him was 58-37-15. Yes, it was a winning record, but management felt they had a championship contender team, and he was not coming close to getting the best out of them. Management made the judgment sooner rather than later that he wasn't going to get the team where it needed to be.

Hindsight is of course always 20/20. But the fact remains that promoting the AHL coach from within the organization is often a very shrewd move. Among other things, these coaches know the personnel well, especially the younger guys.

The capitals have zero jump or zip or fire right now. Maybe they will recover it, who knows? But the vibe of the team I am watching right now reminds me of the latter days of the tenures of both Boudreau and Oates. Seriously uninspired, from Ovie on down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino