Capitals History Pt. 1 (former players & coaches, past seasons, etc.)

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Another one for Filip Lemieux!

You know who else has to be kicking themselves regarding Forsberg? Many of the 10 teams that passed on him on draft day.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Don't worry, he still wouldn't have a place on this team because he's a rookie/rw/whatever

ha....sweet cheap shot. I think I said that only one of Forsberg or Burakovsky would be on the team were he on the roster.

but that also avoids the reality that not making that trade might and likely would have created other changes in the current roster as what did happen after that trade would be altered. so....maybe McPhee was fired after Oates first season and Oates is running the team? or Burke. who knows what Burke would have done.

but yea...if you just drop FF into training camp this season, Burakovsky gets a pat on the back for a great camp and a ticket to Hershey.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bura to Hershey, nope.

FFFFFF'd definitely have been stuck behind Brouwer for sure. Oh wait. We wouldn't have Latta which moves Beagle from 1RW back to 4C to make that slot open. #George

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Couldnt WSH sue someone for that trade?
Well done is done!.
Burra will be in that level next year ;)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
From http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738977&navid=nhl:topheads

Expected to be one of the top picks in the 2012 NHL Draft, Forsberg slipped (a little) to No. 11 for the Washington Capitals. Drafted to be a center, the Capitals reportedly soured on Forsberg before trading him to the Predators in what currently looks like one of the more ill-fated transactions of this century.

That deal is going to be the gift that keeps on giving on this board...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We only cry in this thread.

Have any extra tissues? I'm joining the crying crowd to get it out of my system. He is just racking up the points.

And yeah...we'll have to hear about it all year from pundits throwing it in our faces.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Don't get me wrong; I'm as bummed about not having him as anyone. I actually did a little jumping "yes!" at Kettler when the pick was announced. Realistically, we'll probably be discussing this trade as long as the Stevens offer sheet. I'm just not really into dwelling on it right now. Later, I'll almost certainly look back and wonder what could have been.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Don't get me wrong; I'm as bummed about not having him as anyone. I actually did a little jumping "yes!" at Kettler when the pick was announced. Realistically, we'll probably be discussing this trade as long as the Stevens offer sheet. I'm just not really into dwelling on it right now. Later, I'll almost certainly look back and wonder what could have been.

There are a couple differences here:

1. Back then there wasn't as much hockey media throwing it in your face

2. No one really blamed us for not matching that offer sheet. That was 2x what Ray Bourque was getting and he was the highest paid Dman in the league at the time and much more accomplished that Stevens. Also we got 5 1st rounders in return.

Today we have every pundit throwing it in our faces and no one is saying anything other than it being a disaster.

George really botched his assessment of how good this kid was going to be. Thats unusual for him.

Last edited:

Slappy

May 29, 2007
The only solace I can take from seeing Forsberg's success is that it reinforces just how good the Caps are at identifying talented (usually European) forwards whose talent translates well to the NHL. It's too bad they gave him up for one reason or another.

Let's hope we see guys like Vrana, Bura, Kuz, Barber and Wilson pan out in the long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad