Capitals History Pt. 1 (former players & coaches, past seasons, etc.)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This thread exists most likely only because people have kept updating his progress in every thread around here.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
For everyone screaming that this thread exists....remember the last time you warned one of your friends or family members not to do something, but they did it anyway? It then blows up in their face, and whether you say it or not, you can't help but think, "I told you that was a STUPID choice, I told you to forget about it, not to think about it, but you went ahead and did it..."

This thread is the message board equivalent. About 95% of Caps fans felt that way about the Forsberg trade, we all knew it was a terrible (or Turrrible if you are Charles Barkley)....but we hoped we were wrong. Well we were right and not saying "I told you so" is really really hard....

Who on this message board had the ability to actually say yes or no to this trade? I mean, who are we telling "I told you so!" to? GMGM is the guy who made this deal. He is the one who ****ed up, and he is no longer with the Caps.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Impossible to justify this trade.

Not bad like Seguin bad but pretty awful nonetheless.

On a side not as an islanders fan im used to bad trades. I went to this thread because I'm a fan of Filip Forsberg and was wondering why deal him?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This thread exists most likely only because people have kept updating his progress in every thread around here.

Exactly. Hopefully the mods will either move FF posts to this thread or delete them when they come up in GDTs or other threads.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I will not like this thread getting bumped with every goal he scores. Scratch that. Likely every point. I don't mind discussing him as a player but do not want to make a choice to ignore all discussion about him until the end of time to avoid boardbumpitis. This is now the place to discuss him, yet its about to get ignored.

Why not just discuss him in the around the NHL thread like every other non-capital???

I would rather see a Trade Grade thread, if anything. It's not too late.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Who on this message board had the ability to actually say yes or no to this trade? I mean, who are we telling "I told you so!" to? GMGM is the guy who made this deal. He is the one who ****ed up, and he is no longer with the Caps.

He's also the one that let Semin walk for nothing. GMGM is gone. Why haven't posters here stopped talking about Semin?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I will not like this thread getting bumped with every goal he scores. Scratch that. Likely every point. I don't mind discussing him as a player but do not want to make a choice to ignore all discussion about him until the end of time to avoid boardbumpitis. This is now the place to discuss him, yet its about to get ignored.

Why not just discuss him in the around the NHL thread like every other non-capital???

I would rather see a Trade Grade thread, if anything. It's not too late.

You can always hide this thread by clicking the "X" to the left of the name of the thread starter in the team board menu.

Not being snarky or trying to moderate you, just saying.

Burakovsky95*

We got Jagr for free pretty much, I think we traded 3 failed prospects for him.

We signed Jagr as a free agent. He's referring to the absolute trash we got in return for him.

(Anson Carter and an agreement that Washington would pay approximately $4 million per year of Jágr's salary. Jágr also agreed to defer (with interest) $1 million per year for the remainder of his contract to allow the trade to go ahead.)

He then went on to score 50+ goals and put up 120+ points for the Rangers. I'm getting so angry just typing this ****.

Burakovsky95*

^ And to be fair the NHL ****ed us with the lockout and the new CBA in that trade

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We signed Jagr as a free agent. He's referring to the absolute trash we got in return for him.

(Anson Carter and an agreement that Washington would pay approximately $4 million per year of Jágr's salary. Jágr also agreed to defer (with interest) $1 million per year for the remainder of his contract to allow the trade to go ahead.)

He then went on to score 50+ goals and put up 120+ points for the Rangers. I'm getting so angry just typing this ****.

No, I'm not. I'm referring to the trade we made to get Jagr from Pittsburgh.
http://old.post-gazette.com/penguins/20010711jagrnet1.asp

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, then. It's alright to talk about Jagr and Semin, but not Forsberg. I'm still trying to figure this out.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

1/2 of message board conversation is one sided talking to team management and coaches...if you haven't realized that you haven't been paying attention.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's also the one that let Semin walk for nothing. GMGM is gone. Why haven't posters here stopped talking about Semin?

Because some of us really liked Semin ?

Letting Semin walk for nothing has to be the biggest mistake in GMGM's career. The reason why we still talk about Semin's departure is that we still suffer from its consequences.

In every GDT you have people asking who should be the top line RW. See who's missing ?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Letting Semin walk for nothing has to be the biggest mistake in GMGM's career. The reason why we still talk about Semin's departure is that we still suffer from its consequences.

In every GDT you have people asking who should be the top line RW. See who's missing ?

The question I keep asking is not why do people talk about Semin. It's why do people who talk about Semin not want us talking about Forsberg, especially when the reasoning they use is "he's gone, GMGM's gone" which is true for both?

Isn't that somewhat inconsistent?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The question I keep asking is not why do people talk about Semin. It's why do people who talk about Semin not want us talking about Forsberg, especially when the reasoning they use is "he's gone, GMGM's gone" which is true for both?

Isn't that somewhat inconsistent?

I agree. They're just bitter. If Semin was playing well, they'd say the same. I was extremely frustrated when I heard that Semin would not sign with the Caps again since he's my favourite player, but I will gladly talk about him.

How GMGM kept his job for so long is beyond me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Except Semin NEVER was that guy regularly was he? While it was damn near a crime to let him walk for nothing, at least we dodged his boat anchor contract.

Not REPLACING the talent is what still haunts us.

Halpysback*

Letting Semin walk for nothing has to be the biggest mistake in GMGM's career

He posted in the FF thread.

Then there's also keeping Schultz occupying a top pairing spot for like 5 years. Hiring Oates was also worse but it sounds like that was out of his control.

And letting Semin walk was still less stupid than never getting an actual non-stopgap 2C to play with him.

At this point if we still had Forsberg and weren't trying to convert every promising wing prospect to center (surprised we haven't tried Ovechkin there, honestly would be better than EK) we'd be absolutely set with skilled RWers. But it is hilarious that a team that is much deeper at RW than at any other position has RW problems every single night.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He posted in the FF thread.

Then there's also keeping Schultz occupying a top pairing spot for like 5 years. Hiring Oates was also worse but it sounds like that was out of his control.

And letting Semin walk was still less stupid than never getting an actual non-stopgap 2C to play with him.

At this point if we still had Forsberg and weren't trying to convert every promising wing prospect to center (surprised we haven't tried Ovechkin there, honestly would be better than EK) we'd be absolutely set with skilled RWers. But it is hilarious that a team that is much deeper at RW than at any other position has RW problems every single night.

Really? I don't think so.

Wilson has been dynamite on the 1st line. Ward has 7 goals to lead the team. Brouwer has 5+4 and winning 61% of his faceoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Except Semin NEVER was that guy regularly was he? While it was damn near a crime to let him walk for nothing, at least we dodged his boat anchor contract.

Not REPLACING the talent is what still haunts us.

Kuznetsov, Burakovsky and Wilson look very good.

The year we let Semin walk I believe Kuznetsov was supposed to come over. He signed another 2 years deal and really put GMGM in a bind as they were expecting him to come over then.

In retrospect it was a bad decision by Kuznetsov and a costly one for GMGM assuming he would make it over.

This is what puzzles me. IF GMGM were still here then I could see people complain about this as much as they are. But the fact that it was a trade from 2 years ago under the old GM I really don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad