Capitals History Pt. 1 (former players & coaches, past seasons, etc.)

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
You guys should stop stat watching. He does nothing all game long than Neal snipes one and Forbserg gets a point...

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but you obviously didn't watch him play. Forsberg did nothing all game? He scored the first goal of the game and then made a drop pass to Neal on that game winning snipe.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but you obviously didn't watch him play. Forsberg did nothing all game? He scored the first goal of the game and then made a drop pass to Neal on that game winning snipe.

Don't bother. Not worth your time. 99% of us knew it was a terrible trade then, and it's playing out to what we thought it would.

You just go ahead and give us Jarnkrok for Laich and Erskine to make up for it.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Learn to read. He's not involved in the amount of scoring chances you expect of a PPG player.

His production like Alex Steens last year will dry up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wonder how this trade could have worked out if Oates wasn't involved. While I doubt it would ever look "good" for the Caps, it may have been more passable if Erat ended up a useful option in the top six, rather than a disgruntled depth player. If we got a 20G/40P Erat (like he's producing in Arizona this season) it's not quite as horrendous of a trade.

Erat has 4 goals this season so far.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Learn to read. He's not involved in the amount of scoring chances you expect of a PPG player.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how I was supposed to interpret that's what you were trying to say. You said to stop stat watching, so I showed you actual highlights. He's not just scoring garbage goals or benefitting from Neal. He sniped a beauty and then set up Neal for the game winner.

He's factored in on 7 of Nashville's last 10 goals. Forsberg & Neal have developed great chemistry. Nashville actually has a legitimate top line for the first time since Kariya/Arnott/Dumont. The kid is not only dynamic offensively, but he's a takeaway machine as well.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't understand why we get a thread for a Nashville player who didn't play a game as a Capital. What's to discuss here? That we traded away a great player? That a GM made a bad trade and the "coach" made his best effort not to gain a single thing from it? All 3 of them are gone.

It's a bit embarrassing to watch you guys bathing in woe from trading The Filip Forsberg. Move on.

I'm sure Preds won't be disappointed if he doesn't score 85-90 points.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The thing about this issue is that each and every Caps fan is essentially in agreement.

This is a very talented young player, who is blossoming into a productive NHLer. This is a player the Caps could certainly use right now.

Dealing him for short-term help was short-sighted, compounded when the team's quirky coach decided he had no use for Erat whatsoever and slashed his ice time when he wasn't benching him outright.

It's probably the single worst personnel transaction McPhee committed, largely because there was crap communication between management and coaching in the before and after surrounding the trade. It's the sort of move a GM ought to be canned for, which is subsequently what occurred. That firing largely nips that discussion in the bud. What, we ought to double dog fire him now?

Sure, there is a little dispute as to how good Forsberg will be in the end - I tend to think he'll flirt with 70-75 points in his good years and be a very good player - or how good a player Erat might have been here under more adaptable coaching. I just don't see the point-counterpoint surrounding Forsberg that drives any crackling debate. We all basically agree. Boneheaded trade. Shrug.

Totally support the notion of a dedicated thread in which to debate it or ignore it, though. Good stuff. Ignore functions only work if people don't quote the ignored, in GDTs. This is far superior.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how I was supposed to interpret that's what you were trying to say. You said to stop stat watching, so I showed you actual highlights. He's not just scoring garbage goals or benefitting from Neal. He sniped a beauty and then set up Neal for the game winner.

He's factored in on 7 of Nashville's last 10 goals. Forsberg & Neal have developed great chemistry. Nashville actually has a legitimate top line for the first time since Kariya/Arnott/Dumont. The kid is not only dynamic offensively, but he's a takeaway machine as well.

Jesus Christ... I keep talking about scoring chances and avoiding stat watching and you just keep saying the same stupid **** about points over and over.

Its no point, that's the point of this thread, stat watching and its a favorite thing for Capitals fans. Neuvirth can get hung out to dry in a preseason game and they will post it, but all of them are conveniently ignoring that Neuvy is posting a .929 through 7 games so far.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't understand why we get a thread for a Nashville player who didn't play a game as a Capital. What's to discuss here? That we traded away a great player? That a GM made a bad trade and the "coach" made his best effort not to gain a single thing from it? All 3 of them are gone.

It's a bit embarrassing to watch you guys bathing in woe from trading The Filip Forsberg. Move on.

You can't understand why people who complain about seeing posts regarding this part of Caps history annoyed the mods enough to have it funneled into a dedicated thread? Just because you're not interested in this topic doesn't mean everyone else has to ignore it. Are you ignoring it?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Jesus Christ... I keep talking about scoring chances and avoiding stat watching and you just keep saying the same stupid **** about points over and over.

Its no point, that's the point of this thread, stat watching and its a favorite thing for Capitals fans. Neuvirth can get hung out to dry in a preseason game and they will post it, but all of them are conveniently ignoring that Neuvy is posting a .929 through 7 games so far.

Actually I've seen a lot of talk about Neuvy here recently. I picked him up in fantasy, too. Doesn't mean we didn't already see enough of him as a Cap. And the trade that sent him out of here wasn't nearly as bad as the Forsberg trade.

I don't think anyone really understands your point, honestly.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Tried to warn ya. Don't bother.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Caps fans indulge in a good deal of self loathing. This is a crown jewel of that. But it is typical

Halpysback*

Isn't Forsbert a similar style player as Kuz and Bura and Mojo? How many guys like that can you have on a team? Seems to me you balance those guys with guys like Wilson, Ovechkin, Orpik, Brouwer, Latta etc.

If by "similar" you mean he has top 6 hockey abilities, then you are right.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The same people who have talked about Semin years later want everyone to shut up about Forsberg. I wonder why?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You can't understand why people who complain about seeing posts regarding this part of Caps history annoyed the mods enough to have it funneled into a dedicated thread? Just because you're not interested in this topic doesn't mean everyone else has to ignore it. Are you ignoring it?

and its also true that after coming back from 2 goals down in Chicago to take the lead the next post or something like was rather about Forsberg. post him in around the league. now post him in the I hate the caps, I like Forsberg thread(for those too young to remember I root for the Redskins, I like Sonny days.

edit: Neuvirth was generally not popular and trading him was greatly approved. Where it Johansson traded and blowing up to find space to keep Forsberg, it would be pretty quiet around here on that too. Its just human nature

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

It seemed like he responded directly to your comment, and pretty decisively, I might add. And then you went nuclear with 'learn to read' and 'saying the same stupid **** over and over.'

The truth is, FF did have a good game yesterday. (It was on one of the TVs at the rink where my kid was practicing last nite.) But you could still have made your point without being a compete jack*** about it.

If the FF stat watching drives you crazy, then maybe stay away from the thread entitled Filip Forsberg?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Some people have a problem letting go. See Alex Semin.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This thread will haunt us longer than McPhee's tenure in here.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
This thread is a durable, two-way, 200-foot-game thread. This thread would definitely pull over at midnight after a Game 7 loss to help you change your tire. It's a glue thread.

Burakovsky95*

I don't understand why we discuss the guy at all. Is there even one person on this earth that would have defended that trade from the outset (other than our genius front office at the time)? No. So why keep harping on it?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
For everyone screaming that this thread exists....remember the last time you warned one of your friends or family members not to do something, but they did it anyway? It then blows up in their face, and whether you say it or not, you can't help but think, "I told you that was a STUPID choice, I told you to forget about it, not to think about it, but you went ahead and did it..."

This thread is the message board equivalent. About 95% of Caps fans felt that way about the Forsberg trade, we all knew it was a terrible (or Turrrible if you are Charles Barkley)....but we hoped we were wrong. Well we were right and not saying "I told you so" is really really hard....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad