OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Dont Look Up - I though it was good. I agree with some critics who say it got redundant or did the same one joke a million times but overall a good fun movie. Did feel like forced "hit you over the head" obvious satire when the whole approach to satire is to be understated funny.

Spiderman - going to see it tonight in a crammed movie theater. We had covid early december, fully vaxxed so Im assuming we are super immune for a bit.

Couldnt believe how few seats were left when I purchased tickets this morning.

barry on hbo - almost through the first season, really good. recommend it. At 30 min episodes its great for that odd 10 to 10:30 ish window of where youre not 100% ready to go to bed but dont want to commit to an hour long show.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Spider-Man was very good. One of the best Marvel movies yet. Sets up the next trilogy nicely, since that’s apparently the plan. There’s a mid credits scene and an end credits scene so don’t rush out of the theater right away.

Hawkeye on Disney+ was also very enjoyable. Probably my 2nd favorite of the Marvel shows so far, only behind Loki.

Overall, I’m interested to see where Marvel goes with the Multiverse and with the Avengers.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dont Look Up - I though it was good. I agree with some critics who say it got redundant or did the same one joke a million times but overall a good fun movie. Did feel like forced "hit you over the head" obvious satire when the whole approach to satire is to be understated funny.

Spiderman - going to see it tonight in a crammed movie theater. We had covid early december, fully vaxxed so Im assuming we are super immune for a bit.

Couldnt believe how few seats were left when I purchased tickets this morning.

barry on hbo - almost through the first season, really good. recommend it. At 30 min episodes its great for that odd 10 to 10:30 ish window of where youre not 100% ready to go to bed but dont want to commit to an hour long show.

Agreed on Don't Look Up was decent. Watched the 1st season of Barry and really liked but stalled on the second and never got back to it.

Finished up on S2 of The Witcher. It grew on me and I like how there were other plot threads being sown through out the season for me gives it good story momentum.

Finished the WoT season.... Some major changes that I can't really tell help things but willing to see what it does in S2. Hopefully will get a little better budget for S2 the FX was a bit creaky in the last episode.

Finished that South Korean scifi series the Silent Sea I liked it though very end got pretty vague especially if there is no second season.

Reactions: Neil Racki

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
WoT losing me halfway through. I just don’t have a tether, no thread interests me enough to watch the others

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
WoT losing me halfway through. I just don’t have a tether, no thread interests me enough to watch the others

I have caught up to the latest episode, but I'm finding it pretty difficult to care about the show. None of the characters are interesting other than Moraine. And the pacing is horrible, IMO. To me it feels a bit rushed. Maybe they should have broken up the first season into 2 seasons and work on character building a bit.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I haven't read the books so I don't know much about the source material.

The other thing that's missing I think is that I'm supposed to have this feeling of impending doom regarding the Dark One getting to the Last Dragon. But... I just don't feel it. The way the show is done, it doesn't feel like the stakes are high at all.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

The other thing that's missing I think is that I'm supposed to have this feeling of impending doom regarding the Dark One getting to the Last Dragon. But... I just don't feel it. The way the show is done, it doesn't feel like the stakes are high at all.
Yeah, there's a lot it seems to expect you to take for granted (or be reading the fancy sidebar the whole time). They don't take the time to set things up enough that the stakes are coming through.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

That is a very good point. They showed the flash back with Lews Therin about the attempt to seal the dark one but not the resulting apocalypse if I am remembering book cannon correctly. We are told, as the audience, about the breaking of the world but I'm sure it seems like a climate change esoteric threat or as fake news to the regular peasant other than the Aes Sedai. Still think they are getting shorted by budget for FX. I mean the FX seemed better in the Legend of the Seeker series.

Reactions: tycoonheart

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

There are other major villains besides The Dark One….they just introduced one at the end….the journey to prepare people for the final battle is what it’s all about….

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Me and the lady started watching Expanse bc of the positive comments in here. We got to start of season 3 and then stopped watching, started getting into other shows.

Watched another episode the other night after not watching for months and months.

I like it but dont love the show.

idk I guess Im proding to be told it gets better, stick it out.

I think season 3 is where it gets better…

Reactions: Neil Racki

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I liked Don't Look Up more than I thought I would.

I usually like more subtle satire as well, but I thought it was especially funny that many of the critics who complained about being hit over the head with the message of the movie completely miss the fact that they themselves are members of the class of people who are the primary target of the satire.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilimac and max21

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I liked Don't Look Up more than I thought I would.

I usually like more subtle satire as well, but I thought it was especially funny that many of the critics who complained about being hit over the head with the message of the movie completely miss the fact that that they themselves are members of the class of people who are the primary target of the satire.
I thought it was great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad