OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wife and I are watching The Wire for the first time. We are finally on Season 5 and about 4 or 5 episodes in and I gotta say wtf were they thinking with the writing for the final season. They completely destroyed McNulty’s character. The homeless serial killer storyline is a slog. Plus the whole running into political games everywhere you go storyline absolutely sucks. Season 4 was well done story wise, I guess I just wish for the final season they got the band back together and hunted Marlo as the major crimes unit for old times sake.

Favorite small thing about the show is when anyone goes SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT. Prop Joe and Clay Davis are the best at it.

Have you and the wife watched Six Feet Under? That's another fantastic HBO show from back in the days. :nod:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Wife and I are watching The Wire for the first time. We are finally on Season 5 and about 4 or 5 episodes in and I gotta say wtf were they thinking with the writing for the final season. They completely destroyed McNulty’s character. The homeless serial killer storyline is a slog. Plus the whole running into political games everywhere you go storyline absolutely sucks. Season 4 was well done story wise, I guess I just wish for the final season they got the band back together and hunted Marlo as the major crimes unit for old times sake.

Favorite small thing about the show is when anyone goes SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT. Prop Joe and Clay Davis are the best at it.

RIP Michael K Williams aka Omar Little :oops:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Season 5 is pretty widely regarded as the worst. Even still, it's better TV than most out there. The Bubbles plot in season 5 is terrific. And I personally enjoy the glimpse into how politics shapes every level of city public service (it's why they say all the decisions that matter are made locally). While McNulty is taken to the point of hyperbole in season 5, I don't think it's entirely out of character. It's just really over the top, and done to service the Baltimore Sun storyline. Simon wanted to create parallels from the Sun storyline to Jayson Blair, a NYT reporter who had made up quotes and details while reporting on the DC sniper case, and they wanted a story as equally sizzling to be fabricated in the Sun plotline. McNulty is allowed to go cartoonish to make that happen.

Not yet, so many HBO shows we want to get into. Sopranos, Succession, Westworld, etc.
Westworld season 1 is fantastic. Season 2 and season 3 are.... less than good. It's one of the hardest drop off in show qualities after a season 1 since like Heroes way back in the writer strike days. I guess True Detective had a similar drop off after season 1, and that's an HBO show you should definitely watch.

Succession is a guilty pleasure of mine. I really don't know why I still watch it. All the characters are pretty irredeemable, and the writing is always trying to juggle far too many things. And without spoiling things, it's basically forgotten about one of the very core elements that defined the initial premise of the show.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Super Crooks…..Netflix Anime…..pretty solid multitasking material….

My brother was recommending that.

Lost in Space S3 dropped and is pretty good already half way through it. A year time jump was probably necessitated by the kid actor who played Will Robinson grew a couple of feet, heh.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The new cowboy bebop on Netflix it’s pretty cool if you like the old anime
I watched the first episode, and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue.

It's definitely made to the "bingeable" Netflix formula, with 10 1-hour episodes. And I fully understand some of the changes they made to support it being more of one, continuous arc with cliffhangers and intrigue in the name of fitting that formula. Introducing Faye and Spike's past in the first episode makes sense in that format. I'm just not sure that format is ideal for Cowboy Bebop.

I'm also not a purist by any means, and can definitely tolerate changes from the original. But when both episode 1's are essentially the same main plot, some of the changes they made actually significantly altered the tone and messaging. The change in how Spike searches for the couple change how Spike is characterized and portrayed (Jet was the one stumbling around looking for clues in the original). Katerina not being the one to shoot Asimov completely changes the ending. And several favorite moments get left behind (Spike and Asimov's bathroom encounter, for instance), despite the new episode having double the runtime of the old.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Lost in Space S3 dropped and is pretty good already half way through it. A year time jump was probably necessitated by the kid actor who played Will Robinson grew a couple of feet, heh.

cannot wait to burn through LIS season 3!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

holy hell you weren’t lying….Will Robinson seemingly doubled in height!

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
just finished…..loved it. Can’t wait to do a full rewatch….someday.

One thing I appreciate they put the first two season on bluray so having the HD audio and the really good bluray to 4k upscaling these days they are great to have for a rewatch. Overall the series had great FX I mean probably better than The Expanse, imho. Definitely has to go down as one of the better reboots of an old scifi series. We had altered carbon for a couple of seasons and this one. Just hope there is more scifi down the road. There is plenty of great IP out there that shouldn't cost that much that would be some great story telling.

Smith got really irritating in S2 but was way better in S3 story arc wise.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One thing I appreciate they put the first two season on bluray so having the HD audio and the really good bluray to 4k upscaling these days they are great to have for a rewatch. Overall the series had great FX I mean probably better than The Expanse, imho. Definitely has to go down as one of the better reboots of an old scifi series. We had altered carbon for a couple of seasons and this one. Just hope there is more scifi down the road. There is plenty of great IP out there that shouldn't cost that much that would be some great story telling.

Smith got really irritating in S2 but was way better in S3 story arc wise.

they blew it out of the water with the special effects…..I couldn’t believe how good they were.

after disliking Smith’s character early, they did a really great job with her arc the last season.

couple of great music added scenes….”black Betty” rover scene was awesome.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Finished up The Wire. The ending was a great way of spinning everyone’s story in a “positive” light. The pub scene was great.

David Simon has another HBO series coming out in 2022 about Baltimore police and it features a bunch of actors from The Wire.

We Own This City

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Finished up The Wire. The ending was a great way of spinning everyone’s story in a “positive” light. The pub scene was great.

David Simon has another HBO series coming out in 2022 about Baltimore police and it features a bunch of actors from The Wire.

We Own This City
We Own This City
Filmed in Baltimore they just finished shooting last month. I got to work a good amount on it. That was something lol

Reactions: hb12xchamps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

We Own This City

The Wire is one of my favorite shows of all time. Season 3 is hands down one of the best things I've ever watched.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Have you and the wife watched Six Feet Under? That's another fantastic HBO show from back in the days. :nod:

And Oz. I think Oz is what made me get into different HBO shows.

536681-11170700_gal.jpeg

Reactions: Neil Racki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad