Post-Game Talk: Capitals 2, Oilers 1 (SO)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
LOL...posters now b*tching about the team being too boring. It just never freaking ends. :help:

Well, they are pretty boring. Safe, low event hockey just like Mclellan likes it.
They somehow made the Devils and Islanders boring, these are teams that are generally highly entertaining.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
The officiating in this league isn't just bad, it is very predictably bad. Video review will go against the Oilers 90% of the time regardless of the evidence. McDavid can be hooked, held, slashed, and interfered with constantly and it will almost never be called. Crosscheck Crosby in the head or sit on him for 10 seconds? Sure, why not. Generational players just have to learn to deal with that stuff dontcha know. What is a penalty when the team has a lead may not be penalty when they are trailing, what is a penalty for the road team may not be a penalty for the home team. Some players (like Doughty or Getzlaf) can do pretty much anything they want and not get a penalty, while other players look at someone the wrong way and get called. It is not simply a case of incompetent refs randomly missing things or making bad decisions, there is a huge amount of bias involved.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This team is built to win 2-1 or 3-2 games on many nights, just like last year. Tight defensive low event team.

We seen it all last year. Do we need a little more production from a few players, absolutley, and it should come, should be more even after 40 games. Is it coaching? Yup its the game we play, why we won a round last year instead of getting tooled in the first round.
We aren't built like that at all. We don't have the players to do that. We won games like that last year due to excellent goal tending.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I'll never understand why the NHL hates its star players so much. They want McDavid to fail and be brought down to earth, refusing to call anything at all. against him. I just don't get it.

Reactions: ToddsBod

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I beginning to feel like Todd has lost the room and is playing McDavid/Draisaitl into the ground because he doesn't know what else to do.

Don't know how they aren't completely gassed after that.

not sure.

i think its more they've had a rough start and shit luck.

they seem to be playing defensively well....so i dont know where you get the lost the room thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Fair.
It was a fair comment though showing how the top offensive teams have almost double our goal total 17 games in.

That and people telling me and others to go away because we are using another team as an example is kind of ridiculous

It is fair and TBH this team should be in that area since we have 2 of the top 10 scorers from last season on it.

Agreed, however stating stuff like that just makes me see red even more after a loss like this. Something is clearly off for this team and I don't have confidence in Todd to get favorable matchups for us at home to start to get us winning at home.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We didn't get a PP against them when they were in Edmonton either? If so holy crap.

Was the other way. We didn't get a penalty. I'm sure the league got an earful from the Caps after that game. Tonight was a crazy magical coincidence even up for that last game.

Reactions: Del Preston

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Was at the game and am a little drink so sorry if I am wrong

Totally outplayed the cpas. How the **** do we not get a single pp? McDavid could easily have drawn 4 calls by himself. He gets held like crazy. It's as if the refs have decided if we can't put the other team short handed for the entire game so let's not call anything. How the oilers haven't complained about this I will never know. Make this a national story. Make the nhl answer for this bs.

Pretty sure the caps goal was on klefbom again. Had control off the faceoff and rather than getting it out he gives it right to the caps. Should have gotten it out of the zone so team could change after an icing.

Our D are horrible in the offensive zone.

Kassian is a non factor

McDavid needs to stop with the drop passes and start driving the net

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Pot meet kettle.
Sometimes you come across exactly like you are just scanning for something to overreact to and a poster to pick a fight with.

Not interested.
Your posts are pretty rich about dramatics when the Oilers were very comfortably in a playoff position last season and you were all giddy with posts on how the Flames who were on a winning streak were going to over take the Oilers and we were headed for 9th lol . Now they're struggling this season and you're all upbeat happy. I can smell your cologne from here "Scents from the stable "

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
On pace for 182 goals, Eakins two teams scored 202 and 198 or something.

This is bad Todd and Peter. Very bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll never understand why the NHL hates its star players so much. They want McDavid to fail and be brought down to earth, refusing to call anything at all. against him. I just don't get it.
I think that blaming officiating every night for this debacle is misattribution. The Oilers offense right now is so utterly predictable. The first line, every team in the league has tapes of what they try to do everytime. We need to go more the mode of dialing up some more setplays as Connor and Leon are becoming very predictable. Our back 6 are basically incapable of scoring, and our D don't often score. Theres around 200-210 goals in this lineup by my eye. Better than the rate they are scoring at now but not good enough. As I've mentioned often we have 8 forwards rotating in on this club that can't reasonably be expected to score, they just don't score. We have several forwards every night playing on this club that score 1 EV goal a month if that. and we wonder where the scoring is..

Adding salt Khaira scored tonight assisted by Pakarinen. Don't expect that regularly.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
not sure.

i think its more they've had a rough start and **** luck.

they seem to be playing defensively well....so i dont know where you get the lost the room thing.
I disagree. A rough start lasts 10 games. 17 games in and this team is still having "shit luck" and a "rough start"

This is a team with 2 of last seasons top scorers, RNH putting up more points than he has since his rookie year and the team is dead freaking last in scoring and is 3 games under 0.500 on November 12th. That's far more than a rough start and bad luck.

This is a team that's not buying in or simply badly constructed.

And before people say "we were good last year not a fluke". So what does that say about all the teams that went from bottom to playoffs to sewer again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, they are pretty boring. Safe, low event hockey just like Mclellan likes it.
They somehow made the Devils and Islanders boring, these are teams that are generally highly entertaining.

I am okay with it as well because for me it means that the team is tightening things up. Thats how you win when you are having trouble scoring.
It makes perfect sense all things considered. So when I see complaints about it its perplexing to me.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
meh.

jp is still a little tentative

strome isn't that bad from what i see. sure he does absolutely nothing but he seems to make smart plays and does some good stuff defensively.

He has not been tentative at all since being called up. Not sure if you expect him to be like Kassian or Tom Wilson out there because that isn't his game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nurse, RNH, Lucic, Brossoit and Pulju had good nights

Khaira had a good game and then took that away lol.

The rest existed.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I didn't think last year it was such a priority as was stressed, but this year an offensive dman sure looks to important.
Instead we signed Russell

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets also point out that Bettmans phony standings aside the team record is actually 3W 3OTW 9L 2OTL

I point that out to put a bit more light on how inept this club has been on the ice this season. The way NHL standings combines wins in one column and losses in two different columns is intentionally misleading.

This also hilites that our regulation time record is really bad.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I disagree. A rough start lasts 10 games. 17 games in and this team is still having "**** luck" and a "rough start"

This is a team with 2 of last seasons top scorers, RNH putting up more points than he has since his rookie year and the team is dead freaking last in scoring and is 3 games under 0.500 on November 12th. That's far more than a rough start and bad luck.

This is a team that's not buying in or simply badly constructed.

And before people say "we were good last year not a fluke". So what does that say about all the teams that went from bottom to playoffs to sewer again.

Yeah. I guess I'm not buying they're not buying in.

Its just a rough start and shitty luck.

I'm fine with a new coach....I probably advocated a week or two ago.....but who would you get and why? I dont really have confidence Talbot would succeed in a looser system, myself.

Even if I did agree that they suck at scoring and need to retool.....i mean what would that solve? Its not like Kucherov and Arvidsson are on the market.....

at the moment I feel they can and will play out of it...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah. I guess I'm not buying they're not buying in.

Its just a rough start and ****ty luck.

I'm fine with a new coach....I probably advocated a week or two ago.....but who would you get and why? I dont really have confidence Talbot would succeed in a looser system, myself.

Even if I did agree that they suck at scoring and need to retool.....i mean what would that solve? Its not like Kucherov and Arvidsson are on the market.....

at the moment I feel they can and will play out of it...
Well I hope you are right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad