Post-Game Talk: Capitals 2, Oilers 1 (SO)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The officiating in this league isn't just bad, it is very predictably bad. Video review will go against the Oilers 90% of the time regardless of the evidence. McDavid can be hooked, held, slashed, and interfered with constantly and it will almost never be called. Crosscheck Crosby in the head or sit on him for 10 seconds? Sure, why not. Generational players just have to learn to deal with that stuff dontcha know. What is a penalty when the team has a lead may not be penalty when they are trailing, what is a penalty for the road team may not be a penalty for the home team. Some players (like Doughty or Getzlaf) can do pretty much anything they want and not get a penalty, while other players look at someone the wrong way and get called. It is not simply a case of incompetent refs randomly missing things or making bad decisions, there is a huge amount of bias involved.
They’re trying to please the 90% of the league that you could use their hands to sharpen skates, when they should care more about stars who actually sell tickets

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am okay with it as well because for me it means that the team is tightening things up. Thats how you win when you are having trouble scoring.
It makes perfect sense all things considered. So when I see complaints about it its perplexing to me.

That's fine but it's still boring and it's a real task to get boring out of a team with 3 centers like McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge. I don't find choppy games with lots of tight checking and board battles to be fun. Oiler games rarely have any flow to them.
I could see an occasional game when a team needs to slop it up to get points on the road but this seems to be the case with most Oilers games, just a disorganized mess IMO. Tonight was a much better effort though so that was nice to see.

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Just imagine our season so far if RNH and Nurse - two of the most vilified players on the board - hadn't stepped up big time.
I think a cause for concern has been Draisaitls play the last few weeks.
I don't think he can handle 22 minutes every night. Am I wrong there? He just looks gassed to me.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse, RNH, Lucic, Brossoit and Pulju had good nights

Khaira had a good game and then took that away lol.

The rest existed.

That blown defensive coverage was really hard to watch. Its a shame because that was one of the best games I have seen from him in a long time.
Nice to see him score...I especially liked how happy Strome was when Jujar scored.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's fine but it's still boring and it's a real task to get boring out of a team with 3 centers like McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge. I don't find choppy games with lots of tight checking and board battles to be fun. Oiler games rarely have any flow to them.
I could see an occasional game when a team needs to slop it up to get points on the road but this seems to be the case with most Oilers games, just a disorganized mess IMO. Tonight was a much better effort though so that was nice to see.

Thats a matter of opinion I guess. My point is that when the team isnt scoring (which it isnt) its a little odd to then complain about the team playing a boring defensive style until they resolve the offence.

In any event...I agree about the effort tonight. I really enjoyed watching that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well, we gained a point on Anaheim tonight. There's that at least. Maybe LA can put the Sharks down in regulation too.

We could have used the win tonight, but imo we deserved to win. They were gifted PPs. We had the better possession and chances. The SO is a lottery, and I thought Brossoit was good in this game and good in the SO too

Reactions: Del Preston

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He has not been tentative at all since being called up. Not sure if you expect him to be like Kassian or Tom Wilson out there because that isn't his game.

not necessarily just physicality although...i kind of disagree with you that it isn't his game......it kind of has to be.

he doesn't need to be tom wilson but he does need to forecheck well. that will be huge especially to put him with mcdavid.

anyway i was referring to him skating around reading the plays i guess...like he wasnt sure where to go sometimes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You've picked a fight with me twice in the past week.
Last time I was nice about it even though you blatantly misrepresented what I had posted.
Don't expect to call my posts '*****ing' and have me not reply.
You always say you're 'not interested' but there you are, keeping right on with the conversation.

Did I quote you with my comment about posters complaining?
No...I did not. Yet you jumped all over it like it was a personal attack directed at you.
It was a general comment...nothing more.

So who is really picking a fight here?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thats a matter of opinion I guess. My point is that when the team isnt scoring (which it isnt) its a little odd to then complain about the team playing a boring defensive style until they resolve the offence.

In any event...I agree about the effort tonight. I really enjoyed watching that.

I think it would be a little easier to accept if they were winning. They weren't scintillating to watch most of last season either but they were winning so it was easier to be entertained. It's just the way the team is built. Big, average speed and no dynamic ability on the blueline so there's bound to be more grinds than anything else.
Honestly, I probably wouldn't watch many Oiler games if I wasn't a fan. For McDavid yeah but other than that, bleh.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Huge game coming up against Vegas. At some point they either come back down to Earth or we won't be passing them to get to the postseason and they won't become sellers at the deadline (which could help us if everything lines up). Anyone that says that coaching doesn't matter, look at a team full of castoffs and a handful of impact NHL players are doing relative to our team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Totally agree. I mean the NHL is supposed to be entertainment after all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just imagine our season so far if RNH and Nurse - two of the most vilified players on the board - hadn't stepped up big time.

I don't think he can handle 22 minutes every night. Am I wrong there? He just looks gassed to me.

This is also his play only weeks after the first concussion on record he has ever suffered. Sometimes after effects can linger. He's obviously passing protocol but doesn't look 100% to me.

The other factor is the team didn't play many games in October. Now in November the schedule is ramping up and the team playing a lot of games.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Doesnt surprise me we have leaf fans posting on this board, pretending to be oiler fans.

Dont think admitting the Leafs are having a better season then us means they are fans of the Leafs. I think the Predators are a better team then us, am I a Preds fan?

Only have 2 thoughts on this game:
-We need a lockerroom change up. Big or small. Something needs to happen.
-Nurse is a f***ing monster

Reactions: harpoon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think it would be a little easier to accept if they were winning. They weren't scintillating to watch most of last season either but they were winning so it was easier to be entertained. It's just the way the team is built. Big, average speed and no dynamic ability on the blueline so there's bound to be more grinds than anything else.

They are winning/improving though. They got 5 points on a 4 game road trip.
That is a positive in my books and really were you expecting something more on this road trip?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Well, they are pretty boring. Safe, low event hockey just like Mclellan likes it.
They somehow made the Devils and Islanders boring, these are teams that are generally highly entertaining.

Todd is forced to have his team play this style due to the lack of skill and speed on this team. He knows there are likely only a handful of teams the Oil can actually outgun and that's if Connor and Drai are going. I think Tmac is definitely pleading to Chia to acquire more talent and speed. It's becoming very apparent that last year was somewhat of a fluke in terms of scoring.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They are winning/improving though. They got 5 points on a 4 game road trip.
That is a positive in my books and really were you expecting something more on this road trip?

No, it was a fine road trip. Doesn't change the fact that it was boring hockey though, at least IMO as I know this is purely subjective.
The games in New York were just horrific to watch, I have friends (I live in New York) who were saying the same thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, it was a fine road trip. Doesn't change the fact that it was boring hockey though, at least IMO as I know this is purely subjective.

If boring helps this team get back into the playoff picture until they sort out the scoring then sign me up. :nod:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Don't worry man its all good.
A bunch of fans on this site thought we were going to the Stanley Cup this year.
They are having a little trouble coming to grips with reality.
This results in attacking/labeling anyone who ventures a dissenting word.
Tough times here on hfoil.
you saw this coming all summer I take it?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the roadtrip record as well is quite misleading.

We got zero regulation time wins, 1 regulation time loss, and one OTL. Sure, technically, we get 5pts in 4 games, lucky us, but we give up 6pts in the same 4 games. Doesn't matter because its EC roadtrip but this is not a way to climb back in the standings generally.

Nor is it good news that we haven't been able to add any to our 3 regulation time wins in 17GP.

That's a very telling stat and makes it very difficult for this club to find traction.

ps I've lost count but I think this is now 12/17GP in which we have scored 2 goals or less. That too just isn't going to result in much of anything.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad