Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs Jets - 7 PM - Friday Nov 8/19 - TSN 3/SNP - The return of the giraffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
With Little's injury I think it is time to look at a more significant roster adjustment. Wiebe mentioned on 1290, and despite the source it seems like a good idea. That being move Wheeler down onto Lowry's line and run Copp-Lowry-Wheeler. Blake can be the good captain and take on a different role and hopefully add a little offence to this line.

Then put Ehlers-Schiefele-Laine together and just let them play. Give them until at least mid season and watch and see if they can become a dominant #1 line. Then give Rosie a chance at center between 2 decent wingers in Connor and MP and see what he does with the opportunity. Sorry Gus but that leaves you centering the 4th line between a revolving cast of good vets and call ups. Someone has to do and you get a NHL salary while doing it.

On defense I'd put Morrissey and Pionk together as the top pairing and see if their strengths can mesh. Pionk might not be best suited to the top pairing but he is far and away our best RHD at the moment. Then hope you get enough defense from the rest cobbled together in some way that isn't a train wreck.

Helly gives us a .925 season and look out Wild Card spot here we come.

I'm not sure it would make sense to move a passer like Wheeler on a line with two players that can't score - are we trying to change a checking line into a scoring line so we can justify this move?
Wheels is not going to want this role and I can see why - he needs to play with players that can put the puck in the net.

I could see moving him down to the second as a part time center. Shuffle the rest - I don't really have any preference for where Ehlers, Connor, Laine are as long as it's top 6.
I would keep Roz on the wing and move him into the top 6 rather than PurrrO -

Reactions: Jets 31
Nov 24, 2006
Just heard Munz on 1290 say Copp is likely going back to 2nd center . :help: I like Copp but 2nd line center is too high for him , much rather Roslovic than Copp .
Maurice is a fool. Copp killed that line when he was on it, and he'll kill it again. He belongs with Lowry.

Roslovic should get a really long look at 2C. He's been one of the best forwards all year and he gets shit on by Maurice. No wonder the guy asked for a trade!

Reactions: ocdaddy and Bigfish

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
jets fans: mAuRiCe NeEdS tO sPlIt 55 AnD 26

coach splits them: WhY iS wHeElEr At CeNtEr?
It's possible to be upset at multiple things, who knew?

For me the issue is that he's playing center, which he's been bad at, and has a center on the wing. For what reason, because he trusts Wheeler more defensively than Roslo? Has he watched Wheeler for the past two years?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Last statement on this, if this line doesn't work out, despite having two players not playing in their natural positions and Wheeler playing the worst hockey that we've seen from him, it will be used to bolster the arguments that A) Roslo isn't a centre and B) he isn't a top 6 player.

Reactions: surixon

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Now I'm really excited for the game. Finally he split them up. Maybe a bit strange to put Wheeler at center, but still it's a good sign Maurice tries something new.

Reactions: HHel

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I’ve got to defend Maurice here. Maybe the way he split the bromance up isn’t optimal, but that’s Maurice as he sucks at top 6 deployment (always has). However, let’s give him credit here! He split up the bromance!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Wheeler at center was not good previously (and that's aside from the fact he hasn't been great this year in general). I don't understand why this is considered a good idea by anyone. Roslovic or Copp are better options.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I’ve got to defend Maurice here. Maybe the way he split the bromance up isn’t optimal, but that’s Maurice as he sucks at top 6 deployment (always has). However, let’s give him credit here! He split up the bromance!
Sorry, that doesn't fly with me. There is not a stupider reason I can think of to split them up than to move Wheeler to center. PoMo needs to be fired.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Just think how bad roslovic and copp must be at 2c for the jets to put an awful wheeler there instead

Reactions: Bigfish

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Once again, that line Copp was on (Copp/Connor/Ehlers) was shooting at 2% and a PDO of .914 All of their metrics were a positive apart from being outscored 3 to 1. I personally didn't think they did that bad, just couldn't finish. I remember a ton of Connor chances that just didn't go in.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
we've been waiting for copp to grow for 5 years. he's a plug and should never be talked about a 2nd line role ever. roslovic I don't think will ever be a 2nd line player but is clearly not good enough to be a 2c for any length of time. and 99.9 of jets fans don't care about development in year 9 they care about icing the best team.
garbage

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Wheeler at center was not good previously (and that's aside from the fact he hasn't been great this year in general). I don't understand why this is considered a good idea by anyone. Roslovic or Copp are better options.

Roz has shown he's a better winger than a center - he struggles with the D side of the center role - and Copp kills the offense on a #2 line.
Wheels is a decent playmaker / passer and with the right wingers, this could work and is at least worth a try.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
What part. That copp is nothing more then a 4th line plug based on his game and production. That roslovic isnt a 2c at the moment. Or that the vast majority of jet fans could care less about player development and want to see them ice the best team and try and win.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Roz has shown he's a better winger than a center - he struggles with the D side of the center role - and Copp kills the offense on a #2 line.
Wheels is a decent playmaker / passer and with the right wingers, this could work and is at least worth a try.

He didn't struggle at all defensively at C this year when he was used there.

He looked very good earlier and really we should be developing him there as we have no other options.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He didn't struggle at all defensively at C this year when he was used there.

He looked very good earlier and really we should be developing him there as we have no other options.
Apparently there is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad