Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs Jets - 7 PM - Friday Nov 8/19 - TSN 3/SNP - The return of the giraffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am interested in seeing Wheeler with those 2 wingers
Agree. Come to think about it, I'd be interested in just about any C with those two wingers.

I think Wheeler might struggle in his own zone and figuring out transition, but in the offensive zone I think they could be dynamite. Wheeler is strong on the forecheck and disrupts the D, and Ehlers and Roslovic are lightning quick and change directions quickly creating space and confusion in the D. Both of them have been dangerous scoring options, too.

I'm more concerned about the Connor-Scheifele-Laine line. Connor and Scheifele have been really bad together in their own zone. Laine might not be a step back from Wheeler defensively, but he's not much of an improvement. Maybe a bit more creative at zone exits than Wheeler.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Agree. Come to think about it, I'd be interested in just about any C with those two wingers.

I think Wheeler might struggle in his own zone and figuring out transition, but in the offensive zone I think they could be dynamite. Wheeler is strong on the forecheck and disrupts the D, and Ehlers and Roslovic are lightning quick and change directions quickly creating space and confusion in the D. Both of them have been dangerous scoring options, too.

I'm more concerned about the Connor-Scheifele-Laine line. Connor and Scheifele have been really bad together in their own zone. Laine might not be a step back from Wheeler defensively, but he's not much of an improvement. Maybe a bit more creative at zone exits than Wheeler.

The way I see it, I thought Wheeler had one his best games last game. He was skating as hard as ever and he was hard on the forecheck. Couple that with the fact I don't think they believe Roslovic going forward is going to be a center in the NHL. From what I know of Maurice, he really wants to run 3 lines, so he doesn't want to take away that 3rd line and move Copp to center.

He still is moving Roslo up in the lineup so they clearly think that he is a top 6 player going forward.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
11F3B656-530F-453C-AE50-8C9055CC2A0A.gif
Petan on waivers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He didn't struggle at all defensively at C this year when he was used there.

He looked very good earlier and really we should be developing him there as we have no other options.

He looks better as a winger -
He might be ready for centering a #2 at some point but I personally don't think he's there yet and would prefer he continues to build his game on the wing where he has looked much better and appears a lot more comfortable. I've always see Roz as a player who lacked confidence and has struggled making the move up from the A - that's starting to change and I believe a part of that comes from playing a position with less pressure and less responsibility.

Moving Wheels down to this slot also kills a couple of birds with one stone - he's separated from Scheif and he's still working withing the top 6 - and - he's a much better playmaker than Roz. I'd at least try it before moving him further down the line up (and I really can't see the org moving a recent 90pt player / captain to a checking line).

I agree with your point on developing Roz - but if he's better as a winger, I'm not sure moving him to center at this point is the way to go.
I'd like to see him on the wing with the second line - and then watch him further build his confidence before considering the center role.
Set him up with Connor and Wheels - I'd love to see that as a #2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He looks better as a winger -
He might be ready for centering a #2 at some point but I personally don't think he's there yet and would prefer he continues to build his game on the wing where he has looked much better and appears a lot more comfortable. I've always see Roz as a player who lacked confidence and has struggled making the move up from the A - that's starting to change and I believe a part of that comes from playing a position with less pressure and less responsibility.

Moving Wheels down to this slot also kills a couple of birds with one stone - he's separated from Scheif and he's still working withing the top 6 - and - he's a much better playmaker than Roz. I'd at least try it before moving him further down the line up (and I really can't see the org moving a recent 90pt player / captain to a checking line).

I agree with your point on developing Roz - but if he's better as a winger, I'm not sure moving him to center at this point is the way to go.
I'd like to see him on the wing with the second line - and then watch him further build his confidence before considering the center role.
Set him up with Connor and Wheels - I'd love to see that as a #2

The problem is that Wheeler isn't a good C. I also struggle to understand why this coaching regime is so gun shy to trial young talented potential C's in their natural roles. Moat other org try develop players first at C and then default to wing if it doesn't work.

I mean look at Max Domi who looked more comfortable at wing. The Canadians get a hold of him and move him to C and look at him now.

This coachong staff needs to take more risks if it is to really advance the team imo.

Roslovic at 2 C and Niku in the top 4are two moves that imo need to be trailed as it could greatly change what the team needs to do this summer.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The problem is that Wheeler isn't a good C. I also struggle to understand why this coaching regime is so gun shy to trial young talented potential C's in their natural roles. Moat other org try develop players first at C and then default to wing if it doesn't work.

I mean look at Max Domi who looked more comfortable at wing. The Canadians get a hold of him and move him to C and look at him now.

This coachong staff needs to take more risks if it is to really advance the team imo.

Roslovic at 2 C and Niku in the top 4are two moves that imo need to be trailed as it could greatly change what the team needs to do this summer.
I agree in principle, but Roslo isn't a very good center. He doesn't have the brains.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's a better winger and he has grown a lot this year - why move him off what is working.

The coaching staff need to develop our players and get them to a higher level - that's what is going on right now with Roz.
His stints at center have not been successful - he was considered trade bait this summer at one point and many had given up on him.
So now he's getting his game together and we want to move him back to where he was not as good -
I simply do not see moving him as taking more "risks" - I see it as a move that might hinder his growth.

Let Wheels fill the gap while Little is down and let Roz play some top 6 minutes in a position where he has shown significant improvement.
I get that you want these young guys to be given opportunities - and he is by moving up the line up.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself and it's ok to disagree.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
On a side-note, I hope our season this year is similar to the Blues' season last year. Fire their head coach after going last then go onto win the cup. :sarcasm:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I believe Roslo' will be a very good top six player one day...

I have seen progression...

Starting to show confidence and go into dirty areas in the face of contact...

It's more than a start...

Centremen are a commodity and I dare say much like most defensemen...

They take time to evolve...

99% of D'men are not Bobby Orr at 19...

99% of C'men are not Steve Yzerman at 19...

I will complain at Roslo' for being soft at times... but I see great promise....

:popcorn:

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is why it isn't always a good idea to have coaches in the last year of their contracts. There is no long term development plan (as there should be this year) it's coach to win in the most ugly way possible to save your job.

At 33 we know that Blake offers nothing to this org as a C now and going forward but we have some younger options that could potentially grow into the role and really advance this team but of course they won't be trusted by a risk adverse fighting for his job coach.

I don't think he is fighting for his job. I suppose he might think he is, but I doubt that too.

I don't know what he is thinking. Roslo at 2C probably gives him a better chance of winning than Wheeler at 2C. He might see Wheeler as safer. I would disagree. Its just a poor decision from any POV. (Now watch him get a hatty and win the game single-handedly :laugh:)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice is a fool. Copp killed that line when he was on it, and he'll kill it again. He belongs with Lowry.

Roslovic should get a really long look at 2C. He's been one of the best forwards all year and he gets **** on by Maurice. No wonder the guy asked for a trade!

What makes you think he asked for a trade? I heard him say he wanted a bigger role. That is normal for young players. It is not asking for a trade.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I believe Roslo' will be a very good top six player one day...

I have seen progression...

Starting to show confidence and go into dirty areas in the face of contact...

It's more than a start...

Centremen are a commodity and I dare say much like most defensemen...

They take time to evolve...

99% of D'men are not Bobby Orr at 19...

99% of C'men are not Steve Yzerman at 19...

I will complain at Roslo' for being soft at times... but I see great promise....

:popcorn:
Funny him and Ehlers have really stood out this season
So I agree/understand

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Roz has shown he's a better winger than a center - he struggles with the D side of the center role - and Copp kills the offense on a #2 line.
Wheels is a decent playmaker / passer and with the right wingers, this could work and is at least worth a try.

Last time Roslo was tried at C he was also struggling at W. He was not as good then as he is now, not as ready for the NHL. No reason to doubt that the improvement would carry over to the C position.

Wheeler was tried at C before and he really wasn't good. He was a younger, better player then than he appears to be now. He was particularly bad defensively.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with all of this.

Maybe some people weren’t excited with Wheeler the first time he was put in that role. It shouldn’t mean we should reject that forever.

I am excited to see how that line works out. If it doesn’t, OK, tinker some more.
Rosie has played better on the wing. Hope he does well with this opportunity.

But you forever reject the young, improving, natural C at C because you didn't like him there a year or two ago. Riiiiight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler playing 2C with Roslovic and Ehlers as opposed to back in 17-18 when he was paired w/ 2 of our worst defensive Wingers in an elevated role.... i am intrigued to see how he fares

That line could succeed in spite of Wheeler.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Last time Roslo was tried at C he was also struggling at W. He was not as good then as he is now, not as ready for the NHL. No reason to doubt that the improvement would carry over to the C position.

Wheeler was tried at C before and he really wasn't good. He was a younger, better player then than he appears to be now. He was particularly bad defensively.

The improvement in is game came from playing wing - he's settled in nicely in this position.
It would be just as easy to assume that moving him to C at this point might actually hurt his game.
That's the angle I'm looking at this from but I won't argue that it's not the only assumption you could make.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
:sarcasm::sarcasm:
From the +/- files (Josh Morrissey):

1 game: +5 (his only + game this season)
13 games: - 17

In aggregate, tied for second worst in the league. Maybe getting Ristolainen ain’t such an awful idea!
Well now he has Pool Boy back. Is this 1st pairing set for the year? That is asinine.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Are the Jets burning Gustafsson's ELC year tomorrow night?
Sounds like it. I like it. It allows Lowry and Copp to play with some more offensive skill and maybe they find new of levels of production, helping the team even more. Gus has shown that he that he can play at this level, so why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad