Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs Jets - 7 PM - Friday Nov 8/19 - TSN 3/SNP - The return of the giraffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
yeah, why should we shoe-horn guys who are actual centers into a center position and give them some time. Lets instead put a guy who isn't a center (and didn't do well when he was put there before) in at center for some un-known reason. Copp was decent there - give him a few more games and he'd have scored. I mean what is good for a 2nd line C? 20 goals a season? Which means 60 or so games without a goal right? Jeez...But really, Roslo should be given the chance and some games to settle in. But no, let's give Wheeler that chance. Makes good sense.

Copp just is not a 2C. He adds very little to the offensive output of the line as shown when he did get an opportunity.

I am fine seeing how Wheeler does in that role again. If it doesn’t work out, sure...put Roslovic in that role. I am not going to knee jerk react until I see how it goes.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Guess Chevy is gonna trade our 1st round pick for a center a little earlier than normal this season . :naughty:

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
I'm more concerned about the Connor-Scheifele-Laine line. Connor and Scheifele have been really bad together in their own zone. Laine might not be a step back from Wheeler defensively, but he's not much of an improvement. Maybe a bit more creative at zone exits than Wheeler.
I'm not. They have now real defensive winger on their line. :naughty:

I can't wait until game starts. I have some high hopes for this change.

Reactions: jepjepjoo

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Copp just is not a 2C. He adds very little to the offensive output of the line as shown when he did get an opportunity.

I am fine seeing how Wheeler does in that role again. If it doesn’t work out, sure...put Roslovic in that role. I am not going to knee jerk react until I see how it goes.

How many games was Copp at 2C? How many games has Wheeler gotten at 2C? Is wheeler being groomed in any way for a permanent move to C?

I'd go with Roslovic myself. But I still think Copp is better in the role than Wheeler and at least it's a position he plays...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So close to the long-awaited return of Ehlers Scheifele Laine :(
EWR (Newark?) should be an interesting line though, funny that Wheeler the winger is playing C while Roslovic vice versa.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
But you forever reject the young, improving, natural C at C because you didn't like him there a year or two ago. Riiiiight.

In my message, I said, “If it doesn’t, OK, tinker some more.” Totally fine trying Roslovic at C if the Wheeler thing doesn’t work. If they tried Rozie first, I would also be fine.

A particular line combo for a particular game isn’t a big deal to me.

Still interested in seeing how the line plays tonight.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
How many games was Copp at 2C? How many games has Wheeler gotten at 2C? Is wheeler being groomed in any way for a permanent move to C?

I'd go with Roslovic myself. But I still think Copp is better in the role than Wheeler and at least it's a position he plays...

Copp just isn’t suited for the 2C role. The offence stagnates with him and our third line doesn’t work nearly as well without him.

Look on the bright side. We can to celebrate or moan about the decision after watching the Canucks game tonight!

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Copp just isn’t suited for the 2C role. The offence stagnates with him and our third line doesn’t work nearly as well without him.

Look on the bright side. We can to celebrate or moan about the decision after watching the Canucks game tonight!

yeah, and we can just keep on doing that with every weird line-up decision Mo makes. Right till the end of the season...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Guess Chevy is gonna trade our 1st round pick for a center a little earlier than normal this season . :naughty:
Could be trending toward that....
Not trialing Roslovic there, now with Ehlers and Wheels winging it.
Ending Copp 's trial there fairly shortly ( rightfully by little successyet, or not), not really enough time to show turn around, improvement with basis to it.
Who else do we have? Put Lowry in a "scoring-line"role? Hasn't proven positive in limited past, so? Look for a 1st round pick TD trade for a C again.
Unless, Little heals and comes back stronger offensively and rules the 2nd-tier throne again? Or, Wheels becomes a Stevie Y at C? Hmmm...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So close to the long-awaited return of Ehlers Scheifele Laine :(
EWR (Newark?) should be an interesting line though, funny that Wheeler the winger is playing C while Roslovic vice versa.
I like the Ehlers-Roslovic concept a lot.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I've been hoping for Wheeler to 2nd line center for a long time. Really looking forward to seeing how this works out for us.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
yeah, and we can just keep on doing that with every weird line-up decision Mo makes. Right till the end of the season...

Gonna reuse this since it is fitting for this convo:

GDT: - Jets vs Wild • 7:00 pm CT • TSN3

I find the HFBoard Jets forum to be very educational. For instance, the quality of a head coach is driven by who he decided to play on the fourth line and third pairing defence versus the press box, as well as how he fiddles with lines.

Given the grief fans give Maurice, it’s a wonder why Chevy doesn’t pluck one of us to design the line-up. Maybe it can be a rotating job.

“Tonight’s line-up is brought to you by GUFFMAN! Guffman is 4-1-1 when choosing the line-up, and Laine has a higher xGF m/60 when Guffman is in charge.”

How fun would that be? We’d win the Stanley Cup with this approach.

Stoopid Chevy and Maurice!!!

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Once again, Copp on the 2nd line was shooting at 2%, had a positive Corsi and xG and PDO around 91. Offense would dry up if you only shot that much too.

Connor was shooting up the xG charts for the entire league while on that line. Just couldn't finish.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The improvement in is game came from playing wing - he's settled in nicely in this position.
It would be just as easy to assume that moving him to C at this point might actually hurt his game.
That's the angle I'm looking at this from but I won't argue that it's not the only assumption you could make.

It is an assumption that the improvement came about due to switching to wing. The improvement came from him finally adapting to the NHL, IMO. It didn't coincide with the switch. It came with time.

Jets don't have a great need for wingers. They do need C's. Now that he has got his feet under him in the NHL they should be grooming him for C. If he falls on his face, put him back on the wing. But he can't possibly be any worse defensively at C then Wheeler, who can't even handle the defensive side of the game as a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad