Rumor: Canucks Trying to “Reward the Players”

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The Flames are dead in the water... even if they don't say so just yet.

And they have a lot they need to shed before they lose um as UFAs.

Flame UFAs next summer. Lindholm, Hanafin, Zadorov and Tanev. Dude is a RFA. Wow. Their GM probably doesn't sleep much these days.

What a mess. If they lost even one of those guys as a self rental.. their GM is a moron. All four should bring back picks or prospects. I can't imagine any of them wanting to resign to what looks like a future S#*& show.

Hanafin for Beauvillier + 2024 1st + Flames choice of Podkolzin or Hoglander or Raty?

Flames can turn around and retain 50% on Beauvillier in hopes to get a mid rounder?
I don’t think Hanifin wants to go to a Canadian team from the reports this past summer. So he’d be a rental type and likely to bolt to UFA.

Weegar or maybe Andersson would be the target. Soucy and Cole definitely aren’t analytic darlings but they do pass the eye test in terms of defensive ability. The right side is the main concern as we have Freidman and Myers currently which is absolutely dreadful.

For Andersson, I’d give up 2024 1st, Beauvillier, Podkolzin, and any prospect not named Willander/D-Petey, and most likely another pick.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don’t think Hanifin wants to go to a Canadian team from the reports this past summer. So he’d be a rental type and likely to bolt to UFA.

Weegar or maybe Andersson would be the target. Soucy and Cole definitely aren’t analytic darlings but they do pass the eye test in terms of defensive ability. The right side is the main concern as we have Freidman and Myers currently which is absolutely dreadful.

For Andersson, I’d give up 2024 1st, Beauvillier, Podkolzin, and any prospect not named Willander/D-Petey, and most likely another pick.
Rasmus Anderson is a good player so I see the reason for the interest, but Tanev is probably the guy Vancouver should realistically target. He won't be as expensive to acquire either. With EP and Hronek needing new deals this summer and both playing awesome (thus expensive to resign), you shouldn't be acquiring any more contracts with term.

The Flames are the ideal team to pursue for trades because it's increasingly clear they need to a major refresh and have several very appealing UFAs they should be trading to acquire draft picks and prospects.

They finally listed to me and others by playing Zary in the NHL and not the AHL. HIs first game was really promising with a G and good overall game score. Tanev also very good last night.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Vancouver has significant cap space next offseason and many of the core players locked up. They absolutely have room to add a significant contract next season. It would be more comfortable for them to limit it to $6m but they could go as high as $8m. That is after resigning Pettersson and Hronek.
Getting rid of Myers will help a good deal, but EP is probably going to cost at least $12MM/per to resign and Hronek should be at least +$8.5MM/year with how well he's playing and the RHD premium. You could be looking at a combined $21MM between just those two next year.

So you won't have as much cap space as you think. Also need to account for OEL buyout. It only costs you $147,000 this season, but that dead cap hit jumps to $2.35MM next year and then all the way up to $4.8MM per year for a few years after that.

And when you lose Myers, Cole and Beauvillier next summer (combined $13.1MM), you'll need to find cheaper replacements when your farm system doesn't have obvious answers for any of them. Suffice it to say, depth is going to become a problem for Vancouver next year and thereafter.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A good reason why they shouldn’t be trading a 1st for another player heading for a big payday.
Depends how much your owner wants to cash in on the good start to this season and potential playoff revenue.

What your owner does vs what he should do are... as you very well know... two distinctly different paths in many cases.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Getting rid of Myers will help a good deal, but EP is probably going to cost at least $12MM/per to resign and Hronek should be at least +$8.5MM/year with how well he's playing and the RHD premium. You could be looking at a combined $21MM between just those two next year.

So you won't have as much cap space as you think. Also need to account for OEL buyout. It only costs you $147,000 this season, but that dead cap hit jumps to $2.35MM next year and then all the way up to $4.8MM per year for a few years after that.

And when you lose Myers, Cole and Beauvillier next summer (combined $13.1MM), you'll need to find cheaper replacements when your farm system doesn't have obvious answers for any of them. Suffice it to say, depth is going to become a problem for Vancouver next year and thereafter.
I did a whole table earlier but as the season progressed it becomes more and more dated. I had EP at $11 I think and a Hronek at $6.5-7. I think you’re right on EP, I think he comes in at $12. I am not sure about a Hronek, he has looked great, but so does everyone that played with Hughes. They need him to drive his own pair and I think his underlying numbers will drop significantly if he doesn’t play with Hughes. That one will be interesting to watch. Most of the other spots will be $1m or less players other that the replacement of Cole and I think they add Bear for $2m going into next year. Don’t forget the cap is going up more than the increase to OEL. The real wildcard is if they can free up the $5m from Garland, I think you can find a good third line player for $2-2.5m. Beau, Cole, Myers, and Blueger are free agents and all of them can be replaced at a lower or comparable cost, the Beau contract can basically funds Petterssons increase and you can shave a million off Bluger and Cole (Bear) to fund the meat of the Hronek cost. DeSmith is an UFA as well and you could possibly shave a $1 my going with Silovs. That leaves the cap increase and Myers to find one more solid dman. I would prefer they find someone around $5m, but it will be what it will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What else would the Flames yield to get Huberdeau's contract off their books with 50% retained?

Weegar@ 50% retained?
Lindholm @ 50% retained?
1st round draft choices?

Huberdeau needs to play with better goal scorers (or maybe he is done already?) and the Canucks have several of these.

If the Canucks can get off of Garland's and Beauvillier's (and maybe Myers') salaries, it may be worth taking the chance Huberdeau is worth 5M/year?

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
What else would the Flames yield to get Huberdeau's contract off their books with 50% retained?

Weegar@ 50% retained?
Lindholm @ 50% retained?
1st round draft choices?

Huberdeau needs to play with better goal scorers (or maybe he is done already?) and the Canucks have several of these.

If the Canucks can get off of Garland's and Beauvillier's (and maybe Myers') salaries, it may be worth taking the chance Huberdeau is worth 5M/year?
Flames aren’t retaining on them

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
They aren’t getting out of your said darkness by retaining half for 7 years while also trading a first. So your darkness scenario is silly.
In 3 years, after Garland's contract expires, 5M will be the new 3M in cap space, so yes there is a reason to do this in anticipation of better days.

The franchises that hesitate on these crucial decisions almost always lose ( though the incumbent GMs get to keep their jobs, while the owners dither, so the GMs like the hesitation).

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
In 3 years, after Garland's contract expires, 5M will be the new 3M in camp space, so yes there is a reason to do this in anticipation of better days.

The franchises that hesitate on these crucial decisions almost always lose ( though the incumbent GMs get to keep their jobs, while the owners dither, so the GMs like the hesitation).
Yeah they aren’t trading a first and retaining for 7 years just to lose garlands contract in 3 years time.

Reactions: Qwijibo

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yeah they aren’t trading a first and retaining for 7 years just to lose garlands contract in 3 years time.
What is your reasoning. 3 years is exactly how long it would take to begin to turn things around if they aren't paying Huberdeau's full 10.5M per season. If they try to carry his whole freight for 7 years, that is probably how long the rebuild will take.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
What is your reasoning. 3 years is exactly how long it would take to begin to turn things around if they aren't paying Huberdeau's full 10.5M per season. If they try to carry his whole freight for 7 years, that is probably how long the rebuild will take.
Retaining half for 7 years while also trading a first to Vancouver would not lead to a 3 year rebuild. It would be much longer than that. So no reason for them to do their proposal at all

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Retaining half for 7 years while also trading a first to Vancouver would not lead to a 3 year rebuild. It would be much longer than that. So no reason for them to do their proposal at all

If you are a Flames fan, get back to us after 5 years solitude.

You are overvaluing one first round draft choice.

Anyway, it would take flushing Weegar and Lindholm as we well in a Huberdeau deal and trading
Taneve and Markstrom and Zardorov and hanifin in other deals for the Flames to turn it around.

This is possible but not if they hesitate.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If you are a Flames fan, get back to us after 5 years solitude.

You are overvaluing one first round draft choice.

Anyway, it would take flushing Weegar and Lindholm as we well in a Huberdeau deal and trading
Taneve and Markstrom and Zardorov and hanifin in other deals for the Flames to turn it around.

This is possible but not if they hesitate.

Stop embarrassing yourself. No team is retaining 7 yrs that's ridiculous. They would ride the contract out a few more years and consider buyout options.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Over the past few years Tanev for sure, but certainly not this year, he has been rough. If you are looking for a true shut down guy to make an impact, Tanev is not it.

Durzi is a better overall D and is 10 years younger.
Yeah I caught the Flames game last night and Tanev looked brutal. Seems like the Flames broke him or maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I think he would play great again in Tocchets defensive system of play. But maybe he has lost a step or 2 compared to when he was on the Canucks team.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Rasmus Anderson is a good player so I see the reason for the interest, but Tanev is probably the guy Vancouver should realistically target. He won't be as expensive to acquire either. With EP and Hronek needing new deals this summer and both playing awesome (thus expensive to resign), you shouldn't be acquiring any more contracts with term.

The Flames are the ideal team to pursue for trades because it's increasingly clear they need to a major refresh and have several very appealing UFAs they should be trading to acquire draft picks and prospects.

They finally listed to me and others by playing Zary in the NHL and not the AHL. HIs first game was really promising with a G and good overall game score. Tanev also very good last night.

I think Tanev is worth a 2nd at most and maybe some B prospect? No way he is worth a 1st now, with the way he is playing right now and the fact he is a 34 year old UFA on a decline. If Calgary wants to trade Tanev they could get some expiring contract back like Myers to accomodate the deal and Calgary will only be on the hook for 1 million, will save actually money while the 6 mil cap hit til the end of this season would essentially be a non factor.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks arent looking at rentals.

Its either going to be a " hockey trade" like Garland for a player with a similar contract

or

a Massive trade where the Canucks get a young/prime player under contract control, much like how they targeted Hronek last year.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks arent looking at rentals.

Its either going to be a " hockey trade" like Garland for a player with a similar contract

or

a Massive trade where the Canucks get a young/prime player under contract control, much like how they targeted Hronek last year.
They need cap space for the 2nd option so trading Garland or Myers or both is a must whether they explore the 2nd option or not

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
As a team, Deroit has a lot of guys with some promising to great advanced analytics. DeBrincat, Raymond and Larkin looking great. Sprong and Velano also doing surprisingly well.

But your three worst players are, in order: Petry, Chiarot and... Copp. And their performance metrics are not pretty at all.

So that + will need to be a ++++ because Copp looks like a contractual mistake by Yzerman and likely negative value contract if his play doesn't significantly improve.

As well as Hronek and EP are playing.. you ain't gonna have much cap space once those two get their new deals in July 2024.
Myers and Beauvillier leaving and being replaced by 1.5 million dollar players or an ELC will be more than enough to cover raises for Pettersson and Hronek.

Reactions: oceanchild

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Yeah I caught the Flames game last night and Tanev looked brutal. Seems like the Flames broke him or maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I think he would play great again in Tocchets defensive system of play. But maybe he has lost a step or 2 compared to when he was on the Canucks team.
He is 34 next month and has had more injuries than most, so I do think that has taken a toll a little bit. The Flames look lost out there as a team right now, so it's tough on everyone. I do think that Tanev could look solid in Tocchet's structure.

I think everyone assumed that Hughes would be 1LD and Hronek 2RD. That meant we needed a strong defensive 1RD and 2LD. With them paired together and playing great on ends of the rink, it opens us up to get a more offensive minded player on the 2nd pair. I get its only 9 games, but Ian Cole has been very good defensively so far on the 2nd pair.
There are a few ways they could go at this stage, having players playing well gives them a bunch of options.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He is 34 next month and has had more injuries than most, so I do think that has taken a toll a little bit. The Flames look lost out there as a team right now, so it's tough on everyone. I do think that Tanev could look solid in Tocchet's structure.

I think everyone assumed that Hughes would be 1LD and Hronek 2RD. That meant we needed a strong defensive 1RD and 2LD. With them paired together and playing great on ends of the rink, it opens us up to get a more offensive minded player on the 2nd pair. I get its only 9 games, but Ian Cole has been very good defensively so far on the 2nd pair.
There are a few ways they could go at this stage, having players playing well gives them a bunch of options.
I would probably still get a defensive minded defenseman that is great on the PK. It would allow for multiple combinations like either splitting Hughes and Hronek to have 2 balanced pairing with an offensive and defensive dman on each pair or having Hronek and Hughes on the top pairing and a shutdown pairing that could log 20 to 25 minutes or even having 3 solid pairing with a shutdown defensive dman on 2nd and 3rd pairing which would balance out the defensive group nicely. I think it would look more dynamic. We have Hirose who is a good offensive dman down in the A if we ever needed another offensive dman to come up.

Reactions: BCNate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad