Rumor: Canucks Trying to “Reward the Players”

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like that's ultimately not going to be a reward for someone on the team. :laugh:

Whether that's somebody getting sent the other way in the trade, or just somebody brought in who pushes someone else out of the lineup. It'd be a "reward" for the team...minus someone. Which is funny, and has to feel kind of cruddy if you happen to be that someone. lol.

But it's also just a really weird premise in general. Like...were they not actively looking to improve the team before? They only decided to try to improve the team, after the team played well and got off to a good start? As though if the team were doing worse...they wouldn't be actively looking to improve the roster somehow to...y'know...perform better?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Getting rid of Myers will help a good deal, but EP is probably going to cost at least $12MM/per to resign and Hronek should be at least +$8.5MM/year with how well he's playing and the RHD premium. You could be looking at a combined $21MM between just those two next year.

So you won't have as much cap space as you think. Also need to account for OEL buyout. It only costs you $147,000 this season, but that dead cap hit jumps to $2.35MM next year and then all the way up to $4.8MM per year for a few years after that.

And when you lose Myers, Cole and Beauvillier next summer (combined $13.1MM), you'll need to find cheaper replacements when your farm system doesn't have obvious answers for any of them. Suffice it to say, depth is going to become a problem for Vancouver next year and thereafter.
Ehh, $8.5M seems a bit too steep for Hronek and I doubt he gets more than Hughes who is $7.8M. Management will try and re sign him for around Toews level of money, give or take about 200-500K. Though if he continues his pace at about 75 points in a full season then I can totally see that happening.

I think management will be planning on having ELC’s in the back end such as Willander and D-Petey by the time OEL’s cap hit starts to hit, so there’s a solution there. It’ll be very interesting to see whether or not there’s actually a premium trade for a RHD to be made considering future cap consequences. In that case, there’s a good chance we go bargain hunting with defenseman like Borgen, Larsson, DeMelo, or Tanev.

If management wants to add a premium target, Garland’s full contract has to go without much retention if any at all and that will require several pieces being moved out. It’s the only conceivable way as I see it.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Garland will probably be traded, alongside lesser picks and perhaps one or two good prospects, to try and upgrade a bit on D. Maybe also to change the makeup of the team on offense.

At least that's what I think.

And at this point I don't know that Tyler Myers is at all tradeable without having to send quite the sweetener the other way. Maybe a team takes a flyer closer to the deadling if the Canucks retain, but for now I don't think Myers is really a consideration for many teams in the NHL.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
lets reward them the same way Edm is rewarding their team for winning the heritage classic. Lets sign a 34+ year old has-been that the GM is familiar with. lets lure him in with a lifetime supply of hot dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: mdobbs and Kreator

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ehh, $8.5M seems a bit too steep for Hronek and I doubt he gets more than Hughes who is $7.8M. Management will try and re sign him for around Toews level of money, give or take about 200-500K. Though if he continues his pace at about 75 points in a full season then I can totally see that happening.

I think management will be planning on having ELC’s in the back end such as Willander and D-Petey by the time OEL’s cap hit starts to hit, so there’s a solution there. It’ll be very interesting to see whether or not there’s actually a premium trade for a RHD to be made considering future cap consequences. In that case, there’s a good chance we go bargain hunting with defenseman like Borgen, Larsson, DeMelo, or Tanev.

If management wants to add a premium target, Garland’s full contract has to go without much retention if any at all and that will require several pieces being moved out. It’s the only conceivable way as I see it.
Your guess is as good as mine with Hronek. He’s playing great in a contract year where the cap is going up and Vancouver paid a high price to land him. Not exactly the stuff of low AAV mgt friendly contracts.

plan on his AAV starting with an $8 is my advice on setting your expectations.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
In 3 years, after Garland's contract expires, 5M will be the new 3M in cap space, so yes there is a reason to do this in anticipation of better days.

The franchises that hesitate on these crucial decisions almost always lose ( though the incumbent GMs get to keep their jobs, while the owners dither, so the GMs like the hesitation).
In 3 years, the $5m will still be the new $3m and it will be easier to absorb and a shorter length.

Last edited by a moderator:

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If you are a Flames fan, get back to us after 5 years solitude.

You are overvaluing one first round draft choice.

Anyway, it would take flushing Weegar and Lindholm as we well in a Huberdeau deal and trading
Taneve and Markstrom and Zardorov and hanifin in other deals for the Flames to turn it around.

This is possible but not if they hesitate.
Those first round choices may be in the top 5, in fact you are saying they will be by saying they are headed for “darkness”.

Top 5 picks have a significant amount of value, and so I say your under valuing the picks.

Canucks arent looking at rentals.

Its either going to be a " hockey trade" like Garland for a player with a similar contract

or

a Massive trade where the Canucks get a young/prime player under contract control, much like how they targeted Hronek last year.
I’m pretty sure they would go for the right rental. I think they would prefer the player you describe. I don’t think they trade a first for a rental at this time.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Your guess is as good as mine with Hronek. He’s playing great in a contract year where the cap is going up and Vancouver paid a high price to land him. Not exactly the stuff of low AAV mgt friendly contracts.

plan on his AAV starting with an $8 is my advice on setting your expectations.
Hronek isn't going to be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, after EP re-signs. He'll get less than Hughes and Miller.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hronek isn't going to be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, after EP re-signs. He'll get less than Hughes and Miller.
Rantanen and Makar both made more than MacKinnon for several seasons.

Hughes signing below market during the flat cap era ain’t a compelling argument for Hronek to do the same.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't think hronek is going to get 8m but i don't think it's because he'll feel bad taking more than hughes or miller

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York

Hughes signing below market during the flat cap era ain’t a compelling argument for Hronek to do the same.
Mackinnon's contract was on a different level. Miller just started his 8mil extension, hronek isn't getting 8

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
It is actually laughable.

9 games into the season and the Canucks seem to think they've solved what has been a half decade of losing culture.

Credit where credit is due, the team looks good. But it's hardly like they haven't looked good in the past as well before falling back down to earth. The only difference this time around is they looked good in October as opposed to March and April once their season was all but over.

Maybe let it play out to the 30-40 game mark first??
Or maybe - and stay with me here - the “rewarding” comment came from a reporter and was nothing to do with the team, which has been actively working phones to make changes nonstop since before the season started (think Garland, Myers). You’re pulling “laughable” out of thin air and attributing thoughts to this team that literally haven’t been indicated on any level. At all.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
There are 6 teams that are really slow to start, and I think would be pure sellers. "Rewarding" players doesn't mean subtracting someone from the locker room to me, so I'd think futures would be involved, cap still being an issue. Beauvillier, Myers or Garland would all be having to be liquid based on cap hit to acquire someone that would improve the team though, short of some ELC players being picked up some how.

San Jose doesn't have any one that strikes me as a "reward" player at the moment, although I liked what Kunin did tonight.

Calgary has Tanev, Lindholm, Weegar, Dube and/or Hanafin and are all off to a poor start.

The Oilers are also off to a bad start, but short of the creme de la creme, I don't see the Canucks targeting many guys here. Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Draisaitl and of course McDavid are all top players I'd want, but guys like Kane and Nurse hold 0 interest to me.

Chicago has Johnson (retained) and Murphy as players to fill holes in our roster, barring other moves, but most of their assets are younger players (Bedard).

Karlsson would be a huge flex from Pittsburgh, given everything, but Letang might fit a little better, but neither really fit. Forwards abound, which we don't need, but if we could snap up Crosby or Malkin somehow, due to previous Rutherford connections, I wouldn't say no. Guentzel to replace a moved forward or two would be cool too, but that's making a need to fill.

Faulk, or even Parayko, could be a fit from St Louis.

Otherwise, I have no idea who else is going to stall or anything.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The Canucks will need to make some moves soon with Blueger due back. I think Garland will be dealt for next to nothing so they can have more space to re-sign Hronek and Pettersson. I also see them signing Bear to a one year deal. I don't see them making any big moves before the trade deadline with the way the team has been playing. Compared to the rest of the league, they actually have pretty good depth in the minors right now. They should add a couple more depth players because you know there will be injuries at some point.

Reactions: David71

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Well , Rantanen and Makar are similar or equal to Mackinnon, while Hughes and Pettersson are levels better than Hronek.

Rereading your comment, I'm not sure this actually applies to your point, but I'll leave here just the same.

The Canucks will have to be very careful with Hronek's next contract.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
The Canucks will need to make some moves soon with Blueger due back. I think Garland will be dealt for next to nothing so they can have more space to re-sign Hronek and Pettersson. I also see them signing Bear to a one year deal. I don't see them making any big moves before the trade deadline with the way the team has been playing. Compared to the rest of the league, they actually have pretty good depth in the minors right now. They should add a couple more depth players because you know there will be injuries at some point.
He has not been on the injured reserve and no moves are necessary.

Jan 21, 2018
There are 6 teams that are really slow to start, and I think would be pure sellers. "Rewarding" players doesn't mean subtracting someone from the locker room to me, so I'd think futures would be involved, cap still being an issue. Beauvillier, Myers or Garland would all be having to be liquid based on cap hit to acquire someone that would improve the team though, short of some ELC players being picked up some how.

San Jose doesn't have any one that strikes me as a "reward" player at the moment, although I liked what Kunin did tonight.

Calgary has Tanev, Lindholm, Weegar, Dube and/or Hanafin and are all off to a poor start.

The Oilers are also off to a bad start, but short of the creme de la creme, I don't see the Canucks targeting many guys here. Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Draisaitl and of course McDavid are all top players I'd want, but guys like Kane and Nurse hold 0 interest to me.

Chicago has Johnson (retained) and Murphy as players to fill holes in our roster, barring other moves, but most of their assets are younger players (Bedard).

Karlsson would be a huge flex from Pittsburgh, given everything, but Letang might fit a little better, but neither really fit. Forwards abound, which we don't need, but if we could snap up Crosby or Malkin somehow, due to previous Rutherford connections, I wouldn't say no. Guentzel to replace a moved forward or two would be cool too, but that's making a need to fill.

Faulk, or even Parayko, could be a fit from St Louis.

Otherwise, I have no idea who else is going to stall or anything.

What on earth does vancouver have to offer for any of those players, I thought your team has like zero top picks/prospects?

Why bother mentioning Drai/McDavid/Crosby, those players will never play for the Canucks.

Keep your futures and restock the cupboard. Even if this hot start isn’t a fluke, you will eventually need cheap productive players on ELC if you want to remain competitive.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well , Rantanen and Makar are similar or equal to Mackinnon, while Hughes and Pettersson are levels better than Hronek.

Rereading your comment, I'm not sure this actually applies to your point, but I'll leave here just the same.

The Canucks will have to be very careful with Hronek's next contract.
EP is going to get at least $12MM per..

Hughes took a below market deal. Hronek, if he takes less than $7.8MM, he should sign for no more than 2 years so he can dip into UFA again in his 20s.

So Hronek. 2 years x $7.75MM is a reasonable deal for both sides. Walks Hronek into UFA at 28.

Reactions: quat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad