Rumor: Canucks Trying to “Reward the Players”

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Tanev would really fit the bill of "reward" more than anyone else. He doesn't even have to be good or better than a #6 guy at this point in his career; Hughes absolutely loves him and so do a lot of the young guys that were around when he was on the team. He was a big mentor figure and making the playoffs with him as a #6 guy and having him retire with us would be great for the organization

Reactions: Tempo and Boomstick

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What on earth does vancouver have to offer for any of those players, I thought your team has like zero top picks/prospects?

Why bother mentioning Drai/McDavid/Crosby, those players will never play for the Canucks.

Keep your futures and restock the cupboard. Even if this hot start isn’t a fluke, you will eventually need cheap productive players on ELC if you want to remain competitive.
I personally would rather not move prospects, but "rewarding the players" as I interpreted it would sound like trading futures for roster improvements. Lekkerimaki, Willander, Raty, Klimovich, McWard, Hinote, McDonough and Silovs are all worth something at least, and we're short a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year, so we aren't bereft of picks either.

Acknowledgement, mostly. Everyone, Canucks fans included, get a little upset if their all stars aren't mentioned as trade targets, for some reason.

I agree with your last statement. Stay the course, unless a deal is too good to pass off. We have the ELC plays, and reinforcements would be welcome later on. But that isn't what the rumour mill is buzzing about.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
EP is going to get at least $12MM per..

Hughes took a below market deal. Hronek, if he takes less than $7.8MM, he should sign for no more than 2 years so he can dip into UFA again in his 20s.

So Hronek. 2 years x $7.75MM is a reasonable deal for both sides. Walks Hronek into UFA at 28.
Hronek is going to have to prove he can anchor his own pairing and put up this sort of production to be able to command $8M+ longterm.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I would put as untouchable:
Lekkerikmaki
Wallinder
Brzustewicz
our 1st and 2nd round picks

We are going to need to have a steady stream of ELC's supplementing our lineup over the next 3-5 years to make our cap work. We aren't going to win the cup this year or next, so let's not rush things.
I recognize that without dealing those pieces you probably aren't adding much via trade, but that is just fine.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I would put as untouchable:
Lekkerikmaki
Wallinder
Brzustewicz
our 1st and 2nd round picks

We are going to need to have a steady stream of ELC's supplementing our lineup over the next 3-5 years to make our cap work. We aren't going to win the cup this year or next, so let's not rush things.
I recognize that without dealing those pieces you probably aren't adding much via trade, but that is just fine.

The Wings would probably move him for the right deal

Reactions: Sadekuuro

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Would like to see the Canucks re-sign Ethan Bear if they can find a way to fit him under the cap as a modest add

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
What on earth does vancouver have to offer for any of those players, I thought your team has like zero top picks/prospects?

Why bother mentioning Drai/McDavid/Crosby, those players will never play for the Canucks.

Keep your futures and restock the cupboard. Even if this hot start isn’t a fluke, you will eventually need cheap productive players on ELC if you want to remain competitive.
Unless of course you got a young player in trade for your pick.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hence the two year deal at $7.75mm per.

Prove it and hit UFA in your 20s.
Have any comparable deals ever been signed by comparable players as RFA’s? If Hronek wants to bet on himself he can go to arbitration but this is also a guy who’s played one full season in his career and the temptation to sign a longer term, fair contract will surely be there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Hronek is going to have to prove he can anchor his own pairing and put up this sort of production to be able to command $8M+ longterm.
Canucks would be foolish to pay a guy, who has historically been a middle 4 defenseman, 8M for a small sample size with a fellow offensive defenseman. His agent is probably pushing hard for a new contract ASAP.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The window is really shorter then people think. IMO this is the year to go for it and get that needed Top 4 D-men. All it takes is for EP and Hronek to eat up most of the cap and players like JT Miller no longer in their prime. The Canucks have the pieces and if takes a first round pick to get more D help then they should be all over it.

Reactions: CherryToke

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The window is really shorter then people think. IMO this is the year to go for it and get that needed Top 4 D-men. All it takes is for EP and Hronek to eat up most of the cap and players like JT Miller no longer in their prime. The Canucks have the pieces and if takes a first round pick to get more D help then they should be all over it.
The window is short with two of the best 10 skaters under 25 and a top end goalie at 27. Now I’ve heard it all.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
The window is short with two of the best 10 skaters under 25 and a top end goalie at 27. Now I’ve heard it all.

Windows are generally shorter than most realize and it isn't until after the fact that they catch up.

Look at any iterations of the Canucks that we're semi successful at some point. Most windows ended up being 1 maybe 2 years where there was an actual shot to make it all the way.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Windows are generally shorter than most realize and it isn't until after the fact that they catch up.

Look at any iterations of the Canucks that we're semi successful at some point. Most windows ended up being 1 maybe 2 years where there was an actual shot to make it all the way.
Windows are what we make them. A 1 -2 year window with the core we have is ludicrous. Asinine really. There’s a group of “fans” that have wanted this thing burned to the ground for a decade. Believe me, I did too. I don’t agree with the way Elmer did business but you have three of the top 20 players in the game. You don’t burn thst down when they all have several prime years left. Perhaps Grub doesn’t attend games.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Also the west doesn't look that great aside from Vegas. That could change fairly quickly, especially if McDavid goes to a real NHL team.

Reactions: Grub

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Windows are what we make them. A 1 -2 year window with the core we have is ludicrous. Asinine really. There’s a group of “fans” that have wanted this thing burned to the ground for a decade. Believe me, I did too. I don’t agree with the way Elmer did business but you have three of the top 20 players in the game. You don’t burn thst down when they all have several prime years left. Perhaps Grub doesn’t attend games.

Did I say anything on burning things down? I just said that we need to be smart about this and insulate our current players with the best chance to succeed. Were you even around for 2011? That window lasted for 3 years before contracts and age took a toll, if there is a trade to be made for a top 4 defensemen then we should go for it if it takes our first round pick. The pick is mostly likely going to be a late round pick anyways.

Pettersson's, Hronek's, Hughes, Demko current contracts enable us to have extra cap space to get more depth in this team, just imagine when we have to resign these players on their next contract, we're not going to have the same depth as now. No one is suggesting to burn anything, I wonder where you got that crap from.

Reactions: HighAndTight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad