Rumor: Canucks Trying to “Reward the Players”

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Not sure why there's so much resistance to the idea of the Canucks trying to improve this season.

They have a legit, franchise #1 centerman just starting his prime. They have a legit, franchise #1 dman just starting his prime. They have one of the best #2 C's in the league, a great starting G, a couple of very good top 6 wingers, and a very good top pairing Dman who has great chemistry with the aforementioned #1 Dman.

People meme way too hard about the Canucks. There's the makings for a good team there.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
1st round pick for sure in play.

Canucks also all of a sudden have nice prospects that other teams might want to target.

Hunter Bruzscewitz- Right Shot Dman- Leading the OHL in points.

Lekkerimaki- Right Shot Winger- Leads the SHL in goal scored

Arshdeep Bains- Leads the AHL in points

Silovs- Was all World for Latvia in the World Championship. 22 yr old Goalie

The question is, who are the Canucks targeting.

Seth Jones? Noah Dobson?
Seth Jones sounds like such a Canucks thing to do lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Fatass

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Canucks need a veteran like OEL from Florida.
Can teams employ players on the active roster in which they also are paying for a buy out? I kind of feel like the NHL wouldn’t allow that. Besides, we sucked and then got rode of him, now we are good. It seems pretty obvious to be it was all his fault.

Bond

May 10, 2012
If you think old man Tanevwho is injury prone is worth more than a 2nd and B prospect then you must be delusional. Who gives up a 1st plus for UFA Tanev??? Calgary is better off trading him since I doubt he will sign in Calgary again. I think he will come back to the Canucks for a discount to play with Hughes or Hronek.
lol read again. I think that he is worth a 2nd + b prospect at the deadline to any playoff team and would rather trade him to an eastern team for that than trading him to the Canucks at market value.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Looking thru Vancouver's early season advanced stats. The ususal suspects are their best two players. EP and Hughes. Hronek posting awesome analytics too.

Miller and Boeser also posting some solid numbers. Andrei Kuzmenko is a good hockey player.

Even Garland's aren't bad. Nothing amazing, but they are decent even if his production in terms of Gs and As is modest. His underlying play is good for a 3rd liner and adequate for a 2nd liner.

Soucy has the worst analytics on the team. Suter and Meyers and Cole right behind him. Beauvillier's aren't much to write home about either.

Perhaps they'd trade a Beauvillier to upgrade on D because of Vancouver's worst performing players... Three of them are defenders that play a lot.

What does Beauvillier + Meyers (50% retained) buy you?

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would happily take nothing in return if possible.
Assuming you get nothing in return but cap space. What do you do with big found cap space for this season only?

So you kinda gotta make a deal that brings in reinforcements. Those two players are both rentals so they are coming off your books next summer.

You can't trade any of these guys and assume that makes your team better,
EP, Hughes, Miller, Hronek, Boeser, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.

I suppose you could trade Beauvillier + draft pick to land someone for the defense.

You need to find a way to play one of Meyers, Cole or Soucy a lot less.

It's a least a decent problem for your GM to have. Probably some options out there to address the roster shortcomings.

At least you're not the Flames. Their roster problems are hard to wrap my head around. I think they are the new San Jose Sharks... Or even worse... the Sharks about 2 years ago as it became clear the Sharks were going to spiral badly. Even down to now owning a future 1st round pick that looks like it will be a high lottery pick. Stutzle should be a Shark. And in a few years, we'll be talking about a star on the Habs that should have been a Flame.

So enjoy your early season success. It may hold up, but your schedule is about to get harder.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Assuming you get nothing in return but cap space. What do you do with big found cap space for this season though?

So you kinda gotta make a deal that brings in reinforcements. Those two players are both rentals so they are coming off your books next summer.
Sign Ethan Bear and trade 1st+ in a Hronek-like deal as I fully expect them to move the 1st at some point this season. Moving Myers , and Beauvillier to an extent, is addition by subtraction.

But assuming they would have to take something back, some size/grit would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
San Jose/Chicago are about the only team dead in the water already. I'd guess they're always open for business but is there anything they have that makes sense to win now for Vancouver there?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
San Jose/Chicago are about the only team dead in the water already. I'd guess they're always open for business but is there anything they have that makes sense to win now for Vancouver there?
The Flames are dead in the water... even if they don't say so just yet.

And they have a lot they need to shed before they lose um as UFAs.

Flame UFAs next summer. Lindholm, Hanafin, Zadorov and Tanev. Dude is a RFA. Wow. Their GM probably doesn't sleep much these days.

What a mess. If they lost even one of those guys as a self rental.. their GM is a moron. All four should bring back picks or prospects. I can't imagine any of them wanting to resign to what looks like a future S#*& show.

Hanafin for Beauvillier + 2024 1st + Flames choice of Podkolzin or Hoglander or Raty?

Flames can turn around and retain 50% on Beauvillier in hopes to get a mid rounder?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
The Flames are dead in the water... even if they don't say so just yet.

And they have a lot they need to shed before they lose um as UFAs.

Flame UFAs next summer. Lindholm, Hanafin, Zadorov and Tanev. Dude is a RFA. Wow. Their GM probably doesn't sleep much these days.

What a mess. If they lost even one of those guys as a self rental.. their GM is a moron. All four should bring back picks or prospects. I can't imagine any of them wanting to resign to what looks like a future S#*& show.

Hanafin for Beauvillier + 2024 1st + Flames choice of Podkolzin or Hoglander or Raty?

Flames can turn around and retain 50% on Beauvillier in hopes to get a mid rounder?
That's too much for a rental considering he plays left side. Obviously wouldn't say no to Hanifin but I think we would prefer Tanev as a rental, and he's much more likely to re-sign.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I don’t see Vancouver making a deal for a player(Hanifin) that would almost assuredly be a rental if their 1st is used as the trade bait.

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
taylor Raddsyeh could make sense. for Vancouver some 3rd/4th line depth with some size and he is on a cheap contract. he has been PK as well. scored 20 goals last year.

or Connor Murph but that would require garland to come back in the trade.

raddyseh for Raty
or Murph for garland and raty or a pick both have 3 years left with murp making $500K less. I would think murp has more value then garland who has 2 pts in 9 games. plus vancouve has a need for RD this year and next once myers leaves

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
taylor Raddsyeh could make sense. for Vancouver some 3rd/4th line depth with some size and he is on a cheap contract. he has been PK as well. scored 20 goals last year.

or Connor Murph but that would require garland to come back in the trade.

raddyseh for Raty
or Murph for garland and raty or a pick both have 3 years left with murp making $500K less. I would think murp has more value then garland who has 2 pts in 9 games. plus vancouve has a need for RD this year and next once myers leaves
Pass on all of those deals. Murphy is too old and has too big of a concerning injury history to give up much. We don’t really need any more wingers either.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just keep them, they expire this year. Having depth on the wings and D is huge when injuries inevitably occur. What if Mikheyev or Kuzmenko go down? You've got Beau.

Then next year just let them go and we get 10 mil in cap.
I’d only really do it if they had another deal lined up to improve the team and needed to free up the capspace.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Reward the players with 20% inflated caphits to keep the cap hell going ?
Worth repeating: pretty sure the reporter was the one who used the term “reward” and management said nothing of the kind. And it’s been no secret that management has been trying to work the phones nonstop going back to the summer (e.g. for Garland).

Feels like this thread should maybe be a case study for all of us HF users for the term “click bait”.

(Definitely not a criticism FWIW - I think we all often jump into these threads without a lot of context. Maybe it’s part of the fun.)

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Nice reward after doing ur job for 8 games
It is actually laughable.

9 games into the season and the Canucks seem to think they've solved what has been a half decade of losing culture.

Credit where credit is due, the team looks good. But it's hardly like they haven't looked good in the past as well before falling back down to earth. The only difference this time around is they looked good in October as opposed to March and April once their season was all but over.

Maybe let it play out to the 30-40 game mark first??

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
It is actually laughable.

9 games into the season and the Canucks seem to think they've solved what has been a half decade of losing culture.

Credit where credit is due, the team looks good. But it's hardly like they haven't looked good in the past as well before falling back down to earth. The only difference this time around is they looked good in October as opposed to March and April once their season was all but over.

Maybe let it play out to the 30-40 game mark first??
That's where I'm at as well. However there are almost no leaks out of this front office so I bet its mostly made up.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I way man, that's too much. Lekker will be even better than kuzmenko imo and will be on ELC which we need.

Lekker-Pettey-Kuzmenko
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

That's our dynamic top 6 and in case Boeser cant be re-Signed, Lekker will take his place.
I would maybe trade Bruz or Wallinder to get Dobson plus a 1st.
It really isn’t. What do you think a 23 year old, top pairing RD signed for $4 mill for the next two seasons and then is an RFA, should be valued at?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I way man, that's too much. Lekker will be even better than kuzmenko imo and will be on ELC which we need.

Lekker-Pettey-Kuzmenko
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

That's our dynamic top 6 and in case Boeser cant be re-Signed, Lekker will take his place.
I would maybe trade Bruz or Wallinder to get Dobson plus a 1st.

This, right here, is why people make fun of our fanbase.....wow......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad