Speculation: Canucks still big game hunting for a Right Shot D-man

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Would like the Canucks to take a close look at Kovacevic but I think they want more of a two-way guy who can bump up on the powerplay if Hronek or Hughes get hurt.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Would like the Canucks to take a close look at Kovacevic but I think they want more of a two-way guy who can bump up on the powerplay if Hronek or Hughes get hurt.

This is who I'd like to have replace Myers in the lineup and move Myers for something to free up cap.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
is Pesce available?

Stats dont look great.
Only 7 points in 40 games and a -2 on a pretty good team.
Only 12 hits and 14 takeaways.
shots getting through only 32% of the time which is low. 1.5 shots per game
Corsi 5on5 close (relative to teammates) is -1% which is surprising.

Seems like he's struggling, He isnt doing much to move the needle but he's also not costing them a lot in terms of chances against... he's kind of playing like a "low-event" type Dman that you'd want as your number 5 guy. Not great for him, as prior to this season he was generally seen as a really good No.3 guy.

Change of scenery might do him good. I wonder what Carolina fans think.
He isn’t really struggling. He’s never looked at for offense. He does the same thing year in and out, and this year hasn’t been different. Skjei isn’t scoring at the same rate he was last year is the only difference I’ve seen in their pair.

Overall both he and Slavin look a bit stiffer than they used to, they’ve had a lot of hard miles. They’re both still very effective though. Losing both guys will hurt the Canes next year.

He’s very unlikely to be available. The Canes have been adding only while in contention. There’s no good replacement for him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If they moved Zadorov since he wants out and move Cole to his spot while acquiring a top 4 RHD that’s a strong D IMO. If can somehow bring Schenn back and move Myers that’s an elite D.
Schenn is exactly who I was thinking would be (and was) a great fit, but I can't see Trotz moving a guy he just signed

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
MTL Kovacevic is very interesting option for any contender. He is 3rd pairing RHD with one more year for just 766k. That is literally less than current league minimum. Every contender has cap issues and having cheap reliable 3rd pairing D would be great benefit.

this one seems a bit plausible.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I hope for you guy's that's the only weak spot atm.
Wishing you guy's a other great trade.
The craziest thing about this season is how much better Myers has become. Now don't get me wrong he has his warts but he's absolutely earned the trust of 3 very good coaches who seemed to have managed to get his brain moving at a level where it hasn't been, in his time here. The thing with Myers that killed him was not recognizing quick enough the best option and either waiting to long and getting hemmed in or panicking and taking a penalty.
Since about game 5 of the season that's largely disappeared which is on him but also on the system and the forwards. You almost always see at least 2 forwards in the defensive zone. Even Jullsen has found a role in here.
I see us adding a depth piece because injuries but anyone shitting on Myers I guess knows more than the coaching staff because they love him and trust him.

Reactions: Lockin17

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This is who I'd like to have replace Myers in the lineup and move Myers for something to free up cap.
Myers is far better. Come on man it's time Myers haters let it go, unless you think Foote, Tochett and Gonchar know less than you?

The knock on Myers has always been with taking bad penalties and not reading the coverage quick enough, which went hand in hand.
He's finally making the simple play, quickly and because of that not taking bad penalties. The guy has always had the talent and tools and anyone who can't see how good he's been this season since about game 5-6 is just biased.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He isn’t really struggling. He’s never looked at for offense. He does the same thing year in and out, and this year hasn’t been different. Skjei isn’t scoring at the same rate he was last year is the only difference I’ve seen in their pair.

Overall both he and Slavin look a bit stiffer than they used to, they’ve had a lot of hard miles. They’re both still very effective though. Losing both guys will hurt the Canes next year.

He’s very unlikely to be available. The Canes have been adding only while in contention. There’s no good replacement for him.
You would know your players better but as for a trade the canes seem like an organization that if they don't see him re-signing would possibly move him in an actual hockey trade.
That being said the nucks don't make a good partner since the only deal we could likely offer is futures based.
Pesce likely See's $$ signs in July because teams will always pay out the ass for a top 4 RHD.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You would know your players better but as for a trade the canes seem like an organization that if they don't see him re-signing would possibly move him in an actual hockey trade.
That being said the nucks don't make a good partner since the only deal we could likely offer is futures based.
Pesce likely See's $$ signs in July because teams will always pay out the ass for a top 4 RHD.
Oh I think they were ready to move either or both of Skjei and Pesce over the summer. They’ve seen this coming for awhile obviously. The signing of Orlov made it seem imminent. They were going to extend one of them and trade the other was the presumed course. Then neither of them extended and apparently no one offered enough or they couldn’t find a good enough replacement for Pesce maybe. With us contending it just didn’t add up so they made the choice to hang on to both and ride it out. Now it’s possible we lose both for nothing but gained cap space, but that was the right choice imo. This version of the team was worth another shot at it, can’t be afraid of the future.

That’s why I don’t think Pesce is going anywhere. Even if someone offers something good now unless it’s a righty dman that equals Pesce and they think the chemistry will work like it has with Skjei there’s no sense in it for this year.

You can have him in the summer I suspect.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Myers is far better. Come on man it's time Myers haters let it go, unless you think Foote, Tochett and Gonchar know less than you?

The knock on Myers has always been with taking bad penalties and not reading the coverage quick enough, which went hand in hand.
He's finally making the simple play, quickly and because of that not taking bad penalties. The guy has always had the talent and tools and anyone who can't see how good he's been this season since about game 5-6 is just biased.
Myers is far better. Stopped reading after that.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
It's clearly going to be Tanev IMO. Likely didn't get done with Lindholm just because they weren't quite there on value yet but I'd be money that's what happens by the deadline.

All these Van/CGY trades just for Vancouver to get knocked our in the 2nd round by Vegas or Edmonton.
Edmonton couldn’t knock the shit out of a dirty diaper. 4 playoff teams they have played in this streak.

Only team I fear is Colorado. That’s in the league, not just the west. Vancouver isn’t done. Curious if Colorado will make some moves.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Myers at $6 million is overpaid. He's still making dumb plays, but getting bailed out by others. When the Canucks are under pressure in their own zone, it's usually because Myers is on the ice. What's happened now is that he's not getting as much ice time as he has gotten in the past, therefore the stupid plays he made 4-5 times a game are now happening 2-3 times. My point is that they're still happening.

If Myers is moved and Kovacevic replaces him, he becomes a cheaper alternative that doesn't sacrifice the size and physicality while freeing up $5+ million to improve elsewhere.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
kovacevic sounds like the possible canadiate to replace myers if hes shipped elsewhere. cheaper and still under contract. prospect+pick to montreal?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm really digging Vancouver's moves since the last deadline.

Smart moves for young(ish) under-30 guys to improve the roster, and a Swedish C to give Petersson another guy he can speak his home language with.

I was sure Petersson was going to end up traded because he wouldn't sign long-term but Vancouver is making a good case for him to stay.

This makes me sad, because I was hoping the Wings could find a way to get him, but Vancouver is making some damned good moves this last 18 months or so and they look like they'll be a really, really solid team for a while.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Not that he'd waive, but Seth Jones.
After watching him for the last 3 years, his poor numbers are because he is the victim of playing half the game on a god awful team.

We have seen what he is capable of on even average teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00