Speculation: Canucks still big game hunting for a Right Shot D-man

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
As it stands no team will stop Vancouver getting to the final. Jets have the goaltending if they add some pieces.
The real Stanley Cup final could be Oilers Canucks in round 1. Never count out McDavid.

It's a shame since these are arguably the two best teams since the 83 Oilers met the Islanders dynasty and it could be over in the first round.

Reactions: platotld

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
dont think its tanev. given his injury history. someone else younger durable. iilya lubuskin? erik johnson? cup winner should help the team overcome some adversity in the playoffs with his experince and wisdom? washington has a few. sean walker from philly?
You do realize Erik Johnson has both missed more games than Tanev and is older than Tanev right? I like Sean Walker, but is he even available?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
You do realize Erik Johnson has both missed more games than Tanev and is older than Tanev right?
sure. but tanev is like sami salo 2.0 we alrady have one in soucy already. 3 injuries this year. allvin/Jr will hunt and go for a bigger fish

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
sure. but tanev is like sami salo 2.0 we alrady have one in soucy already. 3 injuries this year. allvin/Jr will hunt and go for a bigger fish
You just said you wanted someone younger and healthier. Tanev has played more than 95% of the games for the Flames, compared to 55% for EJ. Tanev is 2 years younger than EJ. Just the comment seemed weird to want someone young and healthy then say you want EJ. He's completely cooked.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
If only he could shoot like Salo! Guy would have been a truly high end d man if he wasn't wielding a wet noodle.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
You just said you wanted someone younger and healthier. Tanev has played more than 95% of the games for the Flames, compared to 55% for EJ. Tanev is 2 years younger than EJ. Just the comment seemed weird to want someone young and healthy then say you want EJ. He's completely cooked.

then fine iilya luybuskin

Reactions: platotld

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The real Stanley Cup final could be Oilers Canucks in round 1. Never count out McDavid.

It's a shame since these are arguably the two best teams since the 83 Oilers met the Islanders dynasty and it could be over in the first round.
Kind of looks like round one will be Vegas v Edmonton.

Reactions: quat

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
David Savard at 50% would be an excellent addition to any playoff team, but I just don't know what the Canucks would be comfortable giving up for him even if the Habs take back Myers.
Montreal has already used one retention slot for next season. I can’t imagine they want to retain for 2 years and take a 6m cap dump without a substantial return

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't really see the point unless we're upgrading Myers into Tanev to avoid the risk of Myers suddenly turning into a colossal liability at a pivotal moment like he's prone to, personally.

The Canucks arguably have 8 top-six caliber NHL defenseman already that I'd feel pretty comfortable with being in the lineup on any given day (Juulsen has improved tremendously and I was very happy with Friedman's play). If you need to add depth, simply because you can never have enough defenseman for a play-off run, it'd be for like the 9th defenseman (which I can't imagine costing much, if anything).

Otherwise, Myers is probably technically playing better than a lot of the guys available (even though I don't trust it).

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't really see the point unless we're upgrading Myers into Tanev to avoid the risk of Myers suddenly turning into a colossal liability like he's prone to, personally.

The Canucks arguably have 8 top-six caliber NHL defenseman already that I'd feel pretty comfortable with being in the lineup (Juulsen has improved tremendously and I was very happy with Friedman's play). If you need to add depth, it'd be for like the 9th defenseman (which I can't imagine costing much, if anything).

Otherwise, Myers is probably technically playing better than a lot of the guys available (even though I don't trust it).
This is a good post. Some of the names being thrown out like Erik Johnson, Ilya Lyubushkin, Andrew Peeke. Myers is better than all these guys. Names that would be upgrades are Hanifin, Tanev, Walker, Chychrun. None of those guys will be cheap adds and I don't think Chychrun really fits the need in Vancouver.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Chris Tanev makes the most sense.

1. He’s played for the Canucks.
2. He was such a a perfect D partner for Quinn Hughes in Hughes rookie year.
3. The price for him isn’t a lot.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zero interest in these type of players. They need a top 4 rhd, not another 5/6. If they go for someone, it’ll be a Tanev/Larsson/Pesce
Pesce has had a terrible year. Not sure what's up with him, but he looks like a shell of his former self. Maybe the impending free agency messing with his head.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Doesn't have to be a 1st for me. 2nd, 3rd and 4th or 2 2nds and I'd move him.
I’d do something like this but salary cap will be the hardest hurdle to manage for Vancouver. Would probably require double retention. I think they may be forced to find a cheaper asset for that reason.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, not sure where OP got his info from other than wild speculation and wishful thinking, but Rutherford himself said that they're probably done outside of small tweaks, and this is JR who's much more open than Allvin.

To somehow get "they're going all in for a top 4 rhd" is absurd.

Stop offering us your top 4 dmen, start offering us your affordable depth rhd or wingers.

Reactions: biturbo19

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021

Who’s making this argument?

Reactions: Heldig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad