Speculation: Canucks still big game hunting for a Right Shot D-man

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Media day today for Rutherford, Allvin and its clear to hear that they arent satisfied yet and are still big game hunting.

The speculation is that its for a Right Shot Dman.

Yesterdays blockbuster trade apparently almost had Chris Tanev involved in it according to multiple insiders. In the end, Tanev wasnt part of the Lindholm trade but it was mentioned that the 2 clubs continue to discuss Tanev.

The Canucks also didnt trade any of their top prospects yesterday and still have top assets like Willander, Lekkerimaki, Hoglander Podkilzin Bains.
Furthermore, The Canucks were able to free up cap space this year and next year as Kuzmenko makes more than Lindholm and had an extra year of term.

Allvin clearly ALL-IN

Aside from Tanev, which RD do you think they have their scopes on, waiting to snipe.

IF they do go big game hunting for a RD, i think that Zadorov or possibly Myers would be traded to make it all fit with AAV and with pairings on the Defence.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If we get Buchnevich I'm taking a week off work.

I do believe that if they feel they are satisfied with their D core then they could still be in the market for a top 6 winger.

The question, is this a cup contending D Core

Hughes- Hronek
Soucy- Cole
Zadorov- Myers
Juulsen

If the answer is yes for management, then top 6 winger is something that can come out of nowhere and be added by TDL. likely someone with term.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think it’ll either be the big get in Tanev, or they shift gears and just acquire lower level depth defensemen and look to acquire a top 6 scorer/power forward. Don’t think they need to spend assets and cap space on a top 4 D unless it’s their target in Tanev.

Reactions: David71

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if they can't get to complete a deal for Tanev, do they look to someone like Connor Murphy?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Canucks weren't willing to pay the price for Tanev (the ask was apparently a 1st), then they'll likely just target some depth defensemen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What happens if Canucks don't move a dman to obtain that RD? Merely bury a player with low risk of losing that player? If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to keep Myers as a self rental and try to move someone like Mikheyev instead to ensure the back end doesn't suddenly crater or return too early from injuries?

If someone like Chicago was already potentially interested in Kuzmenko, it seems like Vancouver wouldn't have too many difficulties moving someone like Mikheyev? I believe Vancouver cleared 1 mil cap space yesterday and could add that on top of Mikheyev's contract for a bigger fish or retain on Mikheyev to fit the piece they want and request the other side retain on the expiring contract.

But as much as the Canucks don't want to move their top 5 prospects, I wonder if those are in play. Not necessarily for the RD straight up, but perhaps in a bigger trade where the prospect is used to address more than just RD (ie: longer~ish term bottom 6 upgrade).

It's strangely interesting how after making two trades in the last few months, Allvin still has access to such roster/asset flexibility if looking for some mercenaries at the TDL.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
God I mean, it would really hurt but I guess we could move Holl. He could be Hronek 2.0!

f43beb85a426ecf6eda8f983ea0edeafb5709fe4.gifv

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks have at least 2.5mil to spend if they go pick/prospect deal and don't trade a roster player. That is assumes whoever they bring in pushes Friedman or Juulsen to the AHL opening the other ~$800k.

Sean Walker would be a really good fit if Philly is open to dealing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00