Rumor: Canucks heavily pursuing Barrie

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
A chart that’s tracked 49 games over two years? And the charts seem similar. So that would mean stetcher would have to be an elite shutdown guy to make up for the Grand Canyon size difference in offensive ability between the two.

Barrie is clearly a better hockey player but:

- Barrie is a pending UFA with 1 year left
- Barrie plays with actually good players who help him get points
- Barrie gets half his points on the PP, Stetcher gets essentially none
- Stetcher is a couple years younger, and far cheaper, and under team control for a few more years
- Barrie would require Stetcher++ to acquire in a trade

It's not unreasonable to say that Stetcher fits the Canucks rebuild better if you think Barrie is just going to walk, and it's certainly not unreasonable to be against adding any serious assets to Stetcher to trade for Barrie.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Lots of smoke around this, and now the big guys at TSN are on it. My guess is that it happens, and is:
lottery protected 2020 1st, Virtanen and Stecher.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Barrie is clearly a better hockey player but:

- Barrie is a pending UFA with 1 year left
- Barrie plays with actually good players who help him get points
- Barrie gets half his points on the PP, Stetcher gets essentially none
- Stetcher is a couple years younger, and far cheaper, and under team control for a few more years
- Barrie would require Stetcher++ to acquire in a trade

It's not unreasonable to say that Stetcher fits the Canucks rebuild better if you think Barrie is just going to walk, and it's certainly not unreasonable to be against adding any serious assets to Stetcher to trade for Barrie.

-Barrie also top 10 in point at ES.
-Boeser, EP and Horvat are not equal to the Avs big three, but not exactly scrubs either.
-If Barrie as term, he does not get traded.
-He's a BC kid, I'm sure he gets locked up long term if this deal happens
-Stecher is cheaper because he is not as good as Barrie

Reactions: Y3TI

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
tenor.gif

just22

Aug 2, 2009
So is the consensus that both team would hate the potential trade? Haven’t really been following the rumours today.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yeah I mean I am not saying he won't be traded. He very likely could be traded on the draft floor.

But logically.
It is that the Avalanche have 2 first round picks, and they want the guy who is an allstar and vancouver local to possibly announce one of the picks at 4 or 18 or wherever they pick.

Yeah that could be it. Kind of odd to play to opposing teams fans though.

Oh yeah, it definitely is feeling like the Canucks want to do something at the draft

The thing about that is that it means all the pressure to get something done is on them.

Yup. JB's got pressure to improve backend for sure. Again, praying that doesnt result in us making a bad move.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wonder if Sakic could get Horvat
I don't think Benning should do that, but you never know with him

member 149439

Remember when all these rumors threads amount to absolutely nothing and no one gets traded on draft night.... love the insiders who arent inside anything but their own asses!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad