Value of: Canucks Fire Sale

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
This is what i don't understand at all about this idea that the Canucks should be doing a firesale and "blowing it up".

What does that even mean?

The Sedins? Good luck moving them.

Edler? Doesn't want to leave.

Tanev? Why for even? He's still young and not the type who will fetch a core piece in return.

Eriksson? Just signed, and realistically his contract makes him unmoveable now, like every other top UFA.

Sutter? Okay, maybe you could move him...but with his contract, not for much of anything that'll kickstart a rebuild.

Hansen? Probably net a quality prospect or pick, but hardly a franchise changing return. At best, you're talking about a roulette wheel on whether you ever even get a Hansen calibre player out of the swap.

Miller? Even with retained salary, how many teams are seriously looking to acquire an aged starting goaltender at the deadline? Miller already showed last time around that it works extremely poorly. Nobody is giving up anything important.

The rest is just aged vets with little or even negative value...irrelevant fringe players...or young players who make no sense to move in a "rebuild".

Of course, there's the Sedins...but good ****ing luck trading them. $14M of salary with NTCs. What contender has not only the room to add that, but the will to add them...at the cost of quality future assets which would actually significantly help the Canucks "rebuild"? :laugh:

Agreed, what is there to blow up?? Sedins should have been traded 4 years ago, the team is a unorganized mess... no need to blow anything up, thy did a long slow disintegratetion......

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You are GOLD MTB

Thanks not sure if your sarcastic or not cause we disagree a lot but the focus aint me its the dumpster fire created by Linden and Benning and im just shootin out some ideas of how to fix this mess

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Thanks not sure if your sarcastic or not cause we disagree a lot but the focus aint me its the dumpster fire created by Linden and Benning and im just shootin out some ideas of how to fix this mess

Your so absolutely clueless, it's unbelievable.

Building from the net out is classified as creating a dumpster fire? No, no we should be more like the oilers and suck for 10 years and hope we get a generational player right?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Building from the net out is classified as creating a dumpster fire? No, no we should be more like the oilers and suck for 10 years and hope we get a generational player right?

This is year 4 already, started with Virtanen draft year's failed season and sell off. Then retool mk I failed. Then retool mk II failed. Yet there is no end in sight, they are still arguing over whether to start the rebuild - in year 4.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Nope. The Canucks should keep doing what they did all my childhood. Never be good enough to win the cup but never bad enough to score said generational players.

Hell, what are the Sedins anyways right? They fell into our laps in the 3rd round. Remember?

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Nope. The Canucks should keep doing what they did all my childhood. Never be good enough to win the cup but never bad enough to score said generational players.

Hell, what are the Sedins anyways right? They fell into our laps in the 3rd round. Remember?

You do realize that generational players only come around every 10 years or so, right? And that strangely only two teams have been able to draft/sign the last four (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid) since 1978.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This thread is pointless

I don't mean any disrespect to the OP (although it's obvious that he is very young in age and is likely a new fan), but this thread is useless for the following reason:

Benning will NEVER do a Toronto-style fire sale. Period. We can debate all we want as to whether that's good or bad, but the fact of the matter is that Benning and Linden will NOT go this route.

Personally? I think we're getting the best of both worlds by continuing down our path.

1) If the Canucks bomb as they did last year, they will accumulate high end picks.
2) If the Canucks get lucky and make the playoffs as they did in 2015, they will have the vets to guide their young team, while their youngsters get playoff exposure. Even though the Canucks were embarrassed by the Flames in 2015, look at how Bo Horvat really stepped up in that series. THAT is the reason why a team should always try and push to make the playoffs if they have key prospects within the system.

3) (most important point). The Canucks get best of both worlds if they accumulate high end picks AND have the right vets to mold, guide, and mentor them (i.e. avoid becoming like the Oilers).

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

They went to game 7 of a Stanley cup final twice, not good enough? Pretty damn close.

Sedin's as much as I love em are not generational players.

Just like always you have completely missed the point, but I should expect that from someone who can't even pick a team and has to go for three, I guess you cheer the most for the team that's doing to the best right?

Also given the draft lottery luck plays more of a role in getting players than anything else.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This is year 4 already, started with Virtanen draft year's failed season and sell off. Then retool mk I failed. Then retool mk II failed. Yet there is no end in sight, they are still arguing over whether to start the rebuild - in year 4.

No actually they are building from the net out, our blue line has vastly improved since Benning took over and now he will work on improving the forward depth, has he been perfect? Far from it, but he knows what he is doing.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
No actually they are building from the net out, our blue line has vastly improved since Benning took over and now he will work on improving the forward depth, has he been perfect? Far from it, but he knows what he is doing.

Vastly improved? By what measure? We lost Garrison and Hamhuis and Hutton was a Gillis pick. Garrison and Hamhuis to Gudbranson and Sbisa is a pretty obvious downgrade. Keep waving dem pom poms

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vastly improved? By what measure? We lost Garrison and Hamhuis and Hutton was a Gillis pick. Garrison and Hamhuis to Gudbranson and Sbisa is a pretty obvious downgrade. Keep waving dem pom poms

Improved for the future...as in, toward a "rebuild".

-Gudbranson, Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, and a good smattering of lesser profile D-prospects at various stages looks substantially better for the future than some aging vets with a year or two left on their deals.

Gudbranson is almost a decade younger than Hamhuis. Try to take at least some semblance of a long-term view on things. :laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
QUOTE=biturbo19;123872027]Improved for the future...as in, toward a "rebuild".

-Gudbranson, Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, and a good smattering of lesser profile D-prospects at various stages looks substantially better for the future than some aging vets with a year or two left on their deals.

The idea no new additions couldn't possibly happen without Benning and is very silly. They would keep drafting and signing. Still a do nothing but minimum

Edler Tanev
Hutton Garrison
Hamhuis Stecher

Joulevi and other draft picks.

That's without giving away McCann and 33rd overreach etc. Taking more futures in the Kesler trade.

If they had have rebuilt instead of Benning's retools you might well be able to add Werenski/provorov and Theodore to that group.

Joulevi Tanev
Werenksi Theodore
Edler Stecher
Hamhuis

Feel free to add Gudbranson via trade to that bunch if you want.

Gudbranson is almost a decade younger than Hamhuis. Try to take at least some semblance of a long-term view on things. :laugh:
And 18 months from UFA. Arbitration rights in June. Doors he wasn't to sit through 5 not rebuilding years, that will his entire career spent on terrible teams. His agent should be licking his lips.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't mean any disrespect to the OP (although it's obvious that he is very young in age and is likely a new fan), but this thread is useless for the following reason:

Benning will NEVER do a Toronto-style fire sale. Period. We can debate all we want as to whether that's good or bad, but the fact of the matter is that Benning and Linden will NOT go this route.

Personally? I think we're getting the best of both worlds by continuing down our path.

1) If the Canucks bomb as they did last year, they will accumulate high end picks.
2) If the Canucks get lucky and make the playoffs as they did in 2015, they will have the vets to guide their young team, while their youngsters get playoff exposure. Even though the Canucks were embarrassed by the Flames in 2015, look at how Bo Horvat really stepped up in that series. THAT is the reason why a team should always try and push to make the playoffs if they have key prospects within the system.

3) (most important point). The Canucks get best of both worlds if they accumulate high end picks AND have the right vets to mold, guide, and mentor them (i.e. avoid becoming like the Oilers).

Sorry bub not a new fan here Ive been watching the Nucks for almost 6 years now so dont feed me that

It gets to a point where Benninden will have no choice but to begin dropping assets this year. Last year the team hung around for a while even tho the fans called for a fire sale. This year we already know its and is only 9 games into the season. Time to blow this thing out of the world and start over but yeah we already do have nice pieces: BB Gaudette Olsen Neil Juol and then Bo Hansen Hutty Tanman etc

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Here's what I see in Vancouver:
-A team trying to get it's icons a cup win (Sedins)
-A team that should be rebuilding
-A team that has had high picks, but which need more development before they can make an impact.
-A team with a good goalie (a move made to win)

So we have a team that should be rebuilding but wants to win, and can't find a good middle ground. I can't really see any solution...

Edit: Maybe a quick rebuild? I don't know if those 2 words go together, being an Oilers fan. But 2 year rebuild then a cup run? Is that feasible with a third year Nolan Patrick?

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Virtanen should not be part of a fire sale. It's still too early to call him a bust. He needs some seasoning in Utica for a season or two i think, we definitely rushed him.

Crazy idea here, but would any contender consider both sedins (with one $7 mil retained) for a pick, prospect and an up and coming centerman? that's 2/3rds of a solid second line for a run.

You'd have to take back a roster player for Montreal to free up the space. Maybe we're not the team, but I tried to fit your ask.

D. Sedin 3.5
H. Sedin 3.5

7.8-5=2.8

2017 1st
Danault 0.9
McCarron
Emelin 4.1

3.1+5-7=1.1

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Here's what I see in Vancouver:
-A team trying to get it's icons a cup win (Sedins)
-A team that should be rebuilding
-A team that has had high picks, but which need more development before they can make an impact.
-A team with a good goalie (a move made to win)

So we have a team that should be rebuilding but wants to win, and can't find a good middle ground. I can't really see any solution...

Edit: Maybe a quick rebuild? I don't know if those 2 words go together, being an Oilers fan. But 2 year rebuild then a cup run? Is that feasible with a third year Nolan Patrick?

It might have been possible had they started a rebuild when Benning showed up instead of doing everything they could to make the team as shiity as possible.

The Sedins are done next year. No elite talent to replace them.

There is no quick retool now.....it's going to be 7+ years before we can contend.....provided they ditch the idiots.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
You'd have to take back a roster player for Montreal to free up the space. Maybe we're not the team, but I tried to fit your ask.

D. Sedin 3.5
H. Sedin 3.5

7.8-5=2.8

2017 1st
Danault 0.9
McCarron
Emelin 4.1

3.1+5-7=1.1

Might work well for Nashville, St Louis, NYI or Ottawa next year. Sedins should be top end second liners next year still.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Improved for the future...as in, toward a "rebuild".

Hutton is not his player.

5th overall netting Juolevi is nothing to brag about. I'll be ecstatic if he's one of the ten best players from the first round.

Targeting Sbisa and re-upping him amount to a top ten management blunder iin the last half decade.

Gudbranson cost McCann and Hajek/Clague. I'm OK with Gudbranson but let's not pretend it was a cheap acquisition.

We turned Garrison and Hamhuis into Linden Vey...actually....we turned Garrison and Hamhuis into nothing. Remarkable achievement.

We turned Forsling into...also nothing.

So he signed Stecher (slam dunk) and drafted Tryamkin (happy how that's being handled?).

He's a complete buffoon...I wish you'd stop trying to find ways to defend him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Gudbranson has been very good for the canucks, IMO our best defender this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad