Value of: Canucks Fire Sale

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over

Hansen to Washington for a 1st/Vrana and 5th round pick

Virtanen to Florida for a 3rd round pick and 4th round pick

Edler to Ottawa for a 1st (2017) and a 2nd in 2018

Miller to LA for a 2nd round pick

Would hate to see Hansen traded but i think it would be best for the team moving fwd. Benning is a bad GM at doing any task of a GM except drafting esp outside of top ten picks so I would LOVE to see him loaded up with picks to find guys like Lockwood Gaudette and Tater Olsen

Other suggestions would be appreciated as well as CONSTRUCUTIVE criticism with the above suggestions :)

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
As an outsider, is Virtanen really only worth a 3rd and 4th round pick? What has he done (or not done)!to decrease his value so much, so quickly?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
A 3rd and 4th for Virtanen is an easy deal for anyone. I'll come pick him up personally for the Rangers for that price

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
:laugh: Little bit of an over reaction. Canuks are fine and very well could make the playoffs in this division.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014

Hansen doesn't get you Vrana or a 1st.

Virtanen is worth way more than that, we get you don't like him but 29 teams would do that deal.

Edler's probably worth that, I just don't think Ottawa is the right team.

I assume LA would rather just get Pavelec for free than pay a 2nd for Miller.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hansen doesn't get you Vrana or a 1st.

Virtanen is worth way more than that, we get you don't like him but 29 teams would do that deal.

Edler's probably worth that, I just don't think Ottawa is the right team.

I assume LA would rather just get Pavelec for free than pay a 2nd for Miller.

Hansen has two more years of a cheap contract and is now a top 6 crazy fast energy honey badger

Virtanen is junk or in the process of becoming junk

Edler can be a really good pairing with Karlsson (both Swedish)

Yeah not sure about Miller hes gotta go somewhere this year its his final year of contract and maybe even the Canucks can retane on the contract some money. I was very impressed with him last year i think he could really help out a good team like dallas over there current options as well

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen should not be part of a fire sale. It's still too early to call him a bust. He needs some seasoning in Utica for a season or two i think, we definitely rushed him.

Crazy idea here, but would any contender consider both sedins (with one $7 mil retained) for a pick, prospect and an up and coming centerman? that's 2/3rds of a solid second line for a run.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
As an outsider, is Virtanen really only worth a 3rd and 4th round pick? What has he done (or not done)!to decrease his value so much, so quickly?

No, virtanen is worth a hell of a lot more than that to anyone w half a brain

That part of the OP is a fairly clear troll. . . Or maybe it's serious given the absurdity of a lot of his other posts

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Jake Virtanen has a high chance of becoming a bust due to his style. I really at the time thought that Vancouver should have grabbed an offensive guy like William Nylander considering they have gritty kids like Bo Horvat. With that said, Virtanen's value is certainly higher than that. He's a 20 year old kid for crying out loud.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over

Would hate to see Hansen traded but i think it would be best for the team moving fwd. Benning is a bad GM at doing any task of a GM except drafting esp outside of top ten picks so I would LOVE to see him loaded up with picks to find guys like Lockwood Gaudette and Tater Olsen

Other suggestions would be appreciated as well as CONSTRUCUTIVE criticism with the above suggestions :)

I'm not even really a JV fan (was 100% on the Nylander train in 2014) but that deal is putrid.

Washington probably will not give up that much for Hansen, but I'd definitely do that deal.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I do not believe the Canucks can make a useful trade. They knew last season that they didn't have enough scoring and they failed to address it beyond propping up the Sedin line with Eriksson. They might have sought scoring all Summer. I think they did! I think the NHL community has the Canucks pegged as sure fire losers this season and a team players avoid. Look at the evidence.

Canucks haven't improved through trade significantly for years. They lose most trades. People do not want to be Canucks. Part of this is the WTF? nature of the team. Virtanen, Burrows and Tryamkin on the roster are all WTF? Stecher in the minors, another giant WTF? Willie Desjardins coaching a team of old men is mos def WTF?

Canucks have failed to become a new entity under Benning. They have the same culture that has failed about five times in a row. Would you want to play here?

Until Canucks change, they will stay the same. Seriously, they need to add a real boss with a real agenda before they can do any actual fixing. Nobody will join Aquilini, Benning, Desjardins and the Sedins. I doubt they care to undertake any changes, so they end up where they deserve to end up, just like last season.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I do not believe the Canucks can make a useful trade. They knew last season that they didn't have enough scoring and they failed to address it beyond propping up the Sedin line with Eriksson. They might have sought scoring all Summer. I think they did! I think the NHL community has the Canucks pegged as sure fire losers this season and a team players avoid. Look at the evidence.

Canucks haven't improved through trade significantly for years. They lose most trades. People do not want to be Canucks. Part of this is the WTF? nature of the team. Virtanen, Burrows and Tryamkin on the roster are all WTF? Stecher in the minors, another giant WTF? Willie Desjardins coaching a team of old men is mos def WTF?

Canucks have failed to become a new entity under Benning. They have the same culture that has failed about five times in a row. Would you want to play here?

Until Canucks change, they will stay the same. Seriously, they need to add a real boss with a real agenda before they can do any actual fixing. Nobody will join Aquilini, Benning, Desjardins and the Sedins. I doubt they care to undertake any changes, so they end up where they deserve to end up, just like last season.

Like Loui Eriksson didn't....? Look, I don't like what our management has done as much as the next guy, but this fire sale thing is a joke, from a poster who is known for overreacting. I'd wait till the deadline to do anything.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Here's my constructive criticism regarding trading Virtanen for a pair of mid round picks.. Please stop overreacting about the kid that's 20 years old.. :facepalm:

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Like Loui Eriksson didn't....? Look, I don't like what our management has done as much as the next guy, but this fire sale thing is a joke, from a poster who is known for overreacting. I'd wait till the deadline to do anything.

When you're getting 6 million a year and get to reunite with your frequented international tournament linemates it's pretty hard to say no..

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Toronto should be all over JV. Babcock could help him out with some good coaching.
Other teams that could give him a chance..

New Jersey
Arizona
Florida
Montreal
columbus

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

His IQ simply isnt there. Hes a good guy and has quality physical skills but I wouldnt consider his on ice skills to be his strong point.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

No. He wouldn´t be picked in the top 10 again, but he would still easily go top 20 in an re-draft as I see it.
If he doesn´t take another step you basically have an Jack Skille-worth player on your team. An okay 3rd liner or an great 4th liner who can fill in on the top lines for part of the season. And that´s worth aaaaaloooot more than an 3rd+4th. You can strike gold in those rounds for sure, but the odds are higher that an player selected there won´t play the amount of games Virtanen already have than they will.
I´m not an Canuck fan, but any reasonable offer for Virtanen at this time and place starts with an 2nd with an + after it. On the other side, that´s probably worth the gamble to only a few team if any at all. At this stage of time an prospect as Virtanen is really most worth to Canucks to hold on to and try to develop to get most worth of.

Jake Virtanen has a high chance of becoming a bust due to his style. I really at the time thought that Vancouver should have grabbed an offensive guy like William Nylander considering they have gritty kids like Bo Horvat. With that said, Virtanen's value is certainly higher than that. He's a 20 year old kid for crying out loud.

This is an good response. Count me in as one that at the time of the draft saw Nylander as an perfect fit for the Canucks. And for that mather, Islanders at 5th. But Canucks especially lacked that high-offensive-reward-forward-prospect and should have gambled as I see it. Skillwise Nylander was by most seen as at least top 5 of the class. To me he was the BPA from 5th and down. But then I always prefered to draft skill and vision before physical talented players and "intangibles".

But to also remember is that both Virtanen and Nylander went where most scouts and experts had them. Both where all over the place if you asked different experts, both from as high as 5 to as low as early 10:s. Most had Virtanen higher than Nylander.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Too much for Hansen.

Not enough for Virtanen.

The Canucks ownership won't approve of a rebuild. They seem to think they have a solid plan.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What bothers me about Virtanen is that so much was made about his high floor. What kind of floor does a floater with poor offensive instincts provide?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The only problem with Virtanen is the canucks made the mistake of keeping him in Vancouver instead of letting him develop correctly. Put him in the AHL for a season. Stupid to keep kids at the nhl level before they are ready...

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hansen has two more years of a cheap contract and is now a top 6 crazy fast energy honey badger

Virtanen is junk or in the process of becoming junk

Edler can be a really good pairing with Karlsson (both Swedish)

Yeah not sure about Miller hes gotta go somewhere this year its his final year of contract and maybe even the Canucks can retane on the contract some money. I was very impressed with him last year i think he could really help out a good team like dallas over there current options as well

Marcus Johansson brings everything Hansen does and scores more so thats a NO. Even if Hansen was a need, he's not worth Vrana and at this point in the season he's not worth the miniscule chance that the Caps (or any team) end up with a lottery pick, as it is I'd even have a hard time offering any 1st for him (given he doesn't fill a need for the Caps).

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Crouse has more value than Virtanen and he cost salary cap space and 2 2nd round picks.

So, I'd say 2 2nds or a 2nd and Sbisa is about fair value for Virtanen right now and I'd be willing to bet that even at that price a lot of the smarter teams would value their 2nd round picks more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad