Value of: Canucks Fire Sale

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I don't mean any disrespect to the OP (although it's obvious that he is very young in age and is likely a new fan), but this thread is useless for the following reason:

Benning will NEVER do a Toronto-style fire sale. Period. We can debate all we want as to whether that's good or bad, but the fact of the matter is that Benning and Linden will NOT go this route.

Personally? I think we're getting the best of both worlds by continuing down our path.

1) If the Canucks bomb as they did last year, they will accumulate high end picks.
2) If the Canucks get lucky and make the playoffs as they did in 2015, they will have the vets to guide their young team, while their youngsters get playoff exposure. Even though the Canucks were embarrassed by the Flames in 2015, look at how Bo Horvat really stepped up in that series. THAT is the reason why a team should always try and push to make the playoffs if they have key prospects within the system.

3) (most important point). The Canucks get best of both worlds if they accumulate high end picks AND have the right vets to mold, guide, and mentor them (i.e. avoid becoming like the Oilers).
Umm we didn't exactly accumulate high end draft picks in 2016 1 pick in the top 60 2 in the top 150..... let's not pretend there has been a influx of picks

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He hasn't been a disappointment but let's not get carried away here.

Exactly. Not sure why Canucks fans are looking for Guber to be the savour i mean i guess theres not a lot else to like these days

How does Benning have a job :(

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Umm we didn't exactly accumulate high end draft picks in 2016 1 pick in the top 60 2 in the top 150..... let's not pretend there has been a influx of picks

Fair enough, but one of those picks was the #4 overall pick.

Two years ago, the Canucks selected at #6.

With Boeser, Demko, and OJ, combined with some 'pleasant' surprises in Hutton and Stetcher, the Canucks are accumulating a respectable prospect pool. Sure, it's not something to brag about, but we do have some good young pieces coming up. If the Canucks continue to bomb, I suspect that this trend will continue (I also suspect that Benning will be more hesitant to part ways with picks).

The biggest thing for me however, is to keep a significant veteran presence here. DO NOT "blow it up" or go on a massive fire sale of any kind.

Yes - if we're talking UFA's in their final year (i.e. Miller, Burrows), then by all means, see what's out there if the Canucks are out of it by the trade deadline. The Canucks should have moved Hamhuis and Vrbata last season, but they understandably didn't move Hamhuis since there was no guarantee of them acquiring another defenseman last season in the form of Gudbranson. Vrbata apparently had zero trade value).

Keep guys like the twins, Hansen, Edler, etc, as their presence will ensure that prospects are brought in slowly and developed comfortably. I highly recommend that we do NOT follow the Edmonton-Toronto model............especially when you consider the fact that the Canucks could likely be a lottery team anyways.

#HaveAVeteranPresence #NoFireSale #TopProspectsCouldComeAnyways

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
For the Canucks to really restock, they simply need to finish near last the next two seasons and stockpile draft picks. then this team will be in much better shape.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The idea no new additions couldn't possibly happen without Benning and is very silly. They would keep drafting and signing. Still a do nothing but minimum

Edler Tanev
Hutton Garrison
Hamhuis Stecher

Joulevi and other draft picks.

That's without giving away McCann and 33rd overreach etc. Taking more futures in the Kesler trade.

If they had have rebuilt instead of Benning's retools you might well be able to add Werenski/provorov and Theodore to that group.

Joulevi Tanev
Werenksi Theodore
Edler Stecher
Hamhuis

Feel free to add Gudbranson via trade to that bunch if you want.

And 18 months from UFA. Arbitration rights in June. Doors he wasn't to sit through 5 not rebuilding years, that will his entire career spent on terrible teams. His agent should be licking his lips.

Wellll then why didn't we just bring anybody in to be GM then, I mean anybody could have improved our blue line right? Benning's eye for talent had zero to do with that right? :sarcasm:

We totally gave away McCann its not like we got a 24 year old RH top 4 dman back or anything, and its not like that was a big need for us or anything. :sarcasm:

The Kesler deal was Benning's fault too? LOL wow talk about a reach.

And now Gudbranson is leaving? Wow you must be an insider, you know so much, do you work for the team?:sarcasm:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Vastly improved? By what measure? We lost Garrison and Hamhuis and Hutton was a Gillis pick. Garrison and Hamhuis to Gudbranson and Sbisa is a pretty obvious downgrade. Keep waving dem pom poms

Oh Damn, we lost two players who were over 30 and replaced them with younger guys, Benning is so stupid this team needed to get older not younger right?

Sbisa yah, bottom paring guy overpaid, not gonna lie that annoyed me too, but on what planet is Gudbranson a downgrade?

But hey keep overreacting to everything, its what this fanbase does best.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Fair enough, but one of those picks was the #4 overall pick.

Two years ago, the Canucks selected at #6.

With Boeser, Demko, and OJ, combined with some 'pleasant' surprises in Hutton and Stetcher, the Canucks are accumulating a respectable prospect pool. Sure, it's not something to brag about, but we do have some good young pieces coming up. If the Canucks continue to bomb, I suspect that this trend will continue (I also suspect that Benning will be more hesitant to part ways with picks).

The biggest thing for me however, is to keep a significant veteran presence here. DO NOT "blow it up" or go on a massive fire sale of any kind.

Yes - if we're talking UFA's in their final year (i.e. Miller, Burrows), then by all means, see what's out there if the Canucks are out of it by the trade deadline. The Canucks should have moved Hamhuis and Vrbata last season, but they understandably didn't move Hamhuis since there was no guarantee of them acquiring another defenseman last season in the form of Gudbranson. Vrbata apparently had zero trade value).

Keep guys like the twins, Hansen, Edler, etc, as their presence will ensure that prospects are brought in slowly and developed comfortably. I highly recommend that we do NOT follow the Edmonton-Toronto model............especially when you consider the fact that the Canucks could likely be a lottery team anyways.

#HaveAVeteranPresence #NoFireSale #TopProspectsCouldComeAnyways

He said a couple of months ago he won't be giving up picks so easily any more.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over

Hansen to Washington for a 1st/Vrana and 5th round pick

Virtanen to Florida for a 3rd round pick and 4th round pick

Edler to Ottawa for a 1st (2017) and a 2nd in 2018

Miller to LA for a 2nd round pick

Would hate to see Hansen traded but i think it would be best for the team moving fwd. Benning is a bad GM at doing any task of a GM except drafting esp outside of top ten picks so I would LOVE to see him loaded up with picks to find guys like Lockwood Gaudette and Tater Olsen

Other suggestions would be appreciated as well as CONSTRUCUTIVE criticism with the above suggestions :)

As an Oiler fan I would pay more then that for Virtanen . Virtanen ++ for RNH . 1 or the pluses has to be a defensive responsible 3 line C .

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I anticipate Edler will be available this trade-deadline

Hopefully he gives a decent list of teams.

Miller would also probably be available

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wellll then why didn't we just bring anybody in to be GM then, I mean anybody could have improved our blue line right? Benning's eye for talent had zero to do with that right? :sarcasm:

We totally gave away McCann its not like we got a 24 year old RH top 4 dman back or anything, and its not like that was a big need for us or anything. :sarcasm:

The Kesler deal was Benning's fault too? LOL wow talk about a reach.

And now Gudbranson is leaving? Wow you must be an insider, you know so much, do you work for the team?:sarcasm:

Trevor?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad