Canucks 2017/18 whipping boy will be...

whipping boy will be

• Total voters

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Went with Gudbranson and his red jacket. Thought about Sutter but issues with him seems to largely be usage (WD) related. Green looks poised to use him exclusively in a checking role.

Nobody seems to give two craps about Eriksson anymore.

Gudbranson is going to stand out like a sore thumb on the blue line.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It’s good old Brandon Butter

One of the softest, most overrated players in the league.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think Sutter will do the most (least?) to earn this distinction but the Sedins will probably get crapped on the most.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'll go with Gagner. I think he fails to do much of anything for the PP, as he's not an elite player there and the rest of the personnel are still mediocre or worse, and he'll be close to a liability at eveb strength. People are more likely to turn on a new face after already so many poor deals.

Yes, Gagner the most likely recipient of the 'Luca Sbisa award'....a three-year contract and won't begin to approach the numbers he had in Columbus...and will likely land on the fourth line eventually and in spot duty because of defensive issues.....even early returns on the pp not encouraging.....Vanek and Gudbranson are other possibilities but if things go badly they can both be flipped at the deadline as impending UFA's for other assets.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Yes, Gagner the most likely recipient of the 'Luca Sbisa award'....a three-year contract and won't begin to approach the numbers he had in Columbus...and will likely land on the fourth line eventually and in spot duty because of defensive issues.....even early returns on the pp not encouraging.....Vanek and Gudbranson are other possibilities but if things go badly they can both be flipped at the deadline as impending UFA's for other assets.

Sbisa made extremely glaring and usually hilarious errors that absolutely anyone could spot even if they were half asleep. I don't think Gagner will be nearly that bad although he likely doesn't hit last year's point totals. The Del Zaster is probably the closest thing we have to a Sbisa replacement now that I think about it. He didn't earn that nickname for nothing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Changed Gaunce to Pouliot.

Seeing as he might very well be a whipping boi. And gaunce got 0 votes because he's too awesome.

Good. This guy is junk. Couldnt crack Pittsburghs week d lineup for FIVE years. Just no

Reactions: Nucker101

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Going Eriksson. Not a hateable guy, and a decent player compared to lots of the other options, but it'll sink it that we're in year 2 of 6 and the depression will turn to rage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Going Eriksson. Not a hateable guy, and a decent player compared to lots of the other options, but it'll sink it that we're in year 2 of 6 and the depression will turn to rage.

Weirdly, the fanbase just seems to have accepted this complete disaster of a contract. I can't really explain why ... maybe because he's such a vanilla player it's hard to have a strong opinion?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Haha, it is a weird one. Bottom feeder shells out longterm big money for a very good but complementary player? It just boils down to expectations. Some kids used to get beaten for getting an A, A, A, A, C+ report card, JB's the kinda guy who gets KFC because he tried to make his bed.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I think Sutter is terrible, but that didn't seem to stop people from thinking he was competent last year. I don't see why this year would be any worse for him.

My pick is still Gudbranson. Everybody expects him to return to form this year after the injury, but I think "returning to form" for him still looks pretty bad, personally.

Yes, people still don't understand, the ONLY time he looked competent to play NHL defense, was in a playoff series no one was watching when Tallon had the beat writers help pump him up to create an artificial demand and specifically bait Dim Jim Benning into an unprecedented 2nd round of the playoffs trade.

That is to say, he was NEVER that good, it was part of the con job. Didn't anyone else find it odd that in the weeks before the trade all you heard out of FLA was how great Real Gud was?

Still, I guess he sells tickets in FLA as they want him back. Nobody thought that "leak" of the Demurs deal was anything but Tallon "Negotiating" through the media with a player under contract to another team, did they?

That was Tallon saying "Hold on big guy, do the one year deal and we'll bring you right back"

I can only guess that Gudbransson really DOES move the needle in FLA for ticket sales, they certainly wouldn't want him back for hockey-related reasons.

All the same, at this time next year, Tallon will have ALL the assets that were involved in that trade. The whole thing was him seeing how much of an ass he could make of Dim Jim.

This time next year...

Book it

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
For me, Sutter. Largely because he's said things to this point in the game that cause me to dislike him. He's frustrating as all get out to boot, but usually I don't have a problem cheering on a Canuck in spite of that. But Sutter grinds my gears.

I see the Sedins getting flak this year, sadly.

Unfortunately, based on what I saw in the preseason, the Sedins will be eaten alive.

Kind of their own fault though, they should know that you can't hang on past your due date with a team.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes, people still don't understand, the ONLY time he looked competent to play NHL defense, was in a playoff series no one was watching when Tallon had the beat writers help pump him up to create an artificial demand and specifically bait Dim Jim Benning into an unprecedented 2nd round of the playoffs trade.

That is to say, he was NEVER that good, it was part of the con job. Didn't anyone else find it odd that in the weeks before the trade all you heard out of FLA was how great Real Gud was?

Still, I guess he sells tickets in FLA as they want him back. Nobody thought that "leak" of the Demurs deal was anything but Tallon "Negotiating" through the media with a player under contract to another team, did they?

That was Tallon saying "Hold on big guy, do the one year deal and we'll bring you right back"

I can only guess that Gudbransson really DOES move the needle in FLA for ticket sales, they certainly wouldn't want him back for hockey-related reasons.

All the same, at this time next year, Tallon will have ALL the assets that were involved in that trade. The whole thing was him seeing how much of an ass he could make of Dim Jim.

This time next year...

Book it

I don't know wtf Tallon is doing down there in Florida but I am pretty sure he is not that devious.

He might be almost as bad as Benning with the shit he did this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad