Canucks 2017/18 whipping boy will be...

whipping boy will be

• Total voters

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
After being at the game tonight I'm inclined to say Gudbranson - I sure hope I'm wrong. My buddy who I was at the game with told me that McCann lit it up this preseason and was the Panthers best forward. I really hope he was wrong about that.......

He not only lit up their pre-season, but was all over the ice for them tonight, scored a beauty goal top shelf, led the team with 6 shots and was named first star. :shakehead:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If I'm a player who is a fringe effective player, I am eyeing the Canucks for a contract because Benning just hands out contracts backed with years of security and pay. Wish my boss thought like Benning did, I'd be so happy!
"Sam, my boss says I have to get to the cap ceiling every year. Can you help me"?

Reactions: PG Canuck

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
How can it not be Eriksson?? Useless floater who never does anything. Can't think of a less inspiring player.

For anyone who doesn't agree...just think of 5 more years of his nothing contribution, taking ice time from prospects for 6 million dollars and you will.

Benning has made a lot of bad moves, but by the end of this fiasco, I think it will go down as the worst.

Reactions: NuxFan09

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So many to choose from 3 games in.

Is it Gagner?

or Erkisson? or Baertschi? or Gudbranson? or....

And I guess that's the problem. There are a ton of players ot choose from so it can only mean one thing...Benning must be the focus of our discontent.

Sutter: $4.4 Mil x 4 more years (counting current...we're 3 game in after all)
Eriksson: 6.0 mil x 5 more years
Gagner: $3.1 mil x 3 more years
Gudbranson: $3.5 mil x 1 final year (hopefully)
Dorsett: $2.65 mil x 2 more years

Nearly $20 mil tied up in players you could replace for half that. This team the past few years could literally get the same results with a payroll that is $20 mil below the cap.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Is it Gagner?

And I guess that's the problem. There are a ton of players ot choose from so it can only mean one thing...Benning must be the focus of our discontent.

Nearly $20 mil tied up in players you could replace for half that. This team the past few years could literally get the same results with a payroll that is $20 mil below the cap.

Man that is depressing. Very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel which is the perfect recipe for the growing fan apathy. Throw in the drafting ...passing up Ehlers, Nylander, Tkachuk, Keller etc and it gets worse. While many like latest first round pick I am not sold there either. Have real concerns if that skinny little frame will ever fill out.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour

Is it Gagner?

I don't disagree, but why are you so concerned with the Aquilini's bank account? If we had millions in cap space, that wouldn't fix poor drafting and prospect development. And, the UFA pool is rarely full of better quality than the players you listed.

Just not sure how that money could help us at this point. The problem runs deeper, in drafting development as I said.

All those players are underachieving or competely useless, yes. But I think we have bigger things to concern ourselves with than how much the Aquilini's want to overpay them.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Why isn't Hutton getting any traction here? Through 3 games he has been atrocious. The Canucks worst player right now, by far, in my opinion.

I hope he can turn it around, but man let's try and deal him before all value is gone out the window

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Why isn't Hutton getting any traction here? Through 3 games he has been atrocious. The Canucks worst player right now, by far, in my opinion.

I hope he can turn it around, but man let's try and deal him before all value is gone out the window

Agreed, I changed my vote accordingly.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't disagree, but why are you so concerned with the Aquilini's bank account? If we had millions in cap space, that wouldn't fix poor drafting and prospect development. And, the UFA pool is rarely full of better quality than the players you listed.

Just not sure how that money could help us at this point. The problem runs deeper, in drafting development as I said.

All those players are underachieving or competely useless, yes. But I think we have bigger things to concern ourselves with than how much the Aquilini's want to overpay them.

I'm not worried about their bank account. However, If you are going to spend to the cap as a crappy team it better be because you are using that cap space as an asset to collect future assets. Taking on bad contracts by having opposition pay you in picks and prospects to do so. Instead, they went the novel way of creating their own bad contracts that not only suck up ice time that can be better used on others but prevent further asset acquisition. And that's not just from the point of view of not having cap space to take on bad deals but from the perspective that they are now in the position to be the guys that have to pay others to take bad contracts off their hands. It all feeds into one thing....management is completely incompetent.

And really my point was more towards we have a GM spending to the cap achieving results that could be done for far less and, therefore, the performance of the GM is completely unacceptable.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It has to be Eriksson for the contract and a complete lack of intensity

Yeah wouldnt Malhoatra be considered a defensive expert? Doubt anyone would pay him $6 million

Eriksson has to be the worse contract in the league

Reactions: Nucker101

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I'm not worried about their bank account. However, If you are going to spend to the cap as a crappy team it better be because you are using that cap space as an asset to collect future assets. Taking on bad contracts by having opposition pay you in picks and prospects to do so. Instead, they went the novel way of creating their own bad contracts that not only suck up ice time that can be better used on others but prevent further asset acquisition. And that's not just from the point of view of not having cap space to take on bad deals but from the perspective that they are now in the position to be the guys that have to pay others to take bad contracts off their hands. It all feeds into one thing....management is completely incompetent.

And really my point was more towards we have a GM spending to the cap achieving results that could be done for far less and, therefore, the performance of the GM is completely unacceptable.

Well said. I can agree with you on your base conclusion here, for sure.
I've just been so focused on our bad (and overrated) drafting and development so far under Benning.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
How can it not be Eriksson?? Useless floater who never does anything. Can't think of a less inspiring player.

For anyone who doesn't agree...just think of 5 more years of his nothing contribution, taking ice time from prospects for 6 million dollars and you will.

Benning has made a lot of bad moves, but by the end of this fiasco, I think it will go down as the worst.

This. Eriksson has the albatross contract AND is doing nothing. Gagner is 2nd probably.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gagner isn't getting near enough hate. He's practically useless and on a three year deal.
Yes, after four games I'm baffled this guy isn't getting more votes.....meh on the pp and can't find a place to play him five-on-five....and on a three-year deal, no less.....surely he has to be heir apparent to the pizza man Luca Sbisa.....then again maybe people are blaming Jimbo more than Gagner for that head-scratching contract.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

I agree w the spirit of your post, but throwing away Nylander/Tkachuk will hurt the franchise far more than the Eriksson signing. At this point he's like Higgins at the end of his career. Except we pay him way more and the Benning crew doesn't scream about him non-stop.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Another Vote for Hutton. This is his 3rd season in the league now and he hasn't progressed since his first. He doesn't put up points, he's a turnover machine and is atrocious defensively. His smily attitude and age may save him from being the whipping boy but if he keeps being as bad as he has I'm not so sure even his attitude can save him from being this years whipping boy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Another Vote for Hutton. This is his 3rd season in the league now and he hasn't progressed since his first. He doesn't put up points, he's a turnover machine and is atrocious defensively. His smily attitude and age may save him from being the whipping boy but if he keeps being as bad as he has I'm not so sure even his attitude can save him from being this years whipping boy.
If he doesn't progress, his smiley personality will only magnify the frustration that fans have with him, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad