Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Dmitry Orlov 2 x 7.75M

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Orlov good singing. Like that he wanted to come here. Like the short term so we have options when this contract up and Nikishin ready to come to NHL post his KHL finished.

Have a chance to try out Orlov to make sure it all works here without being stuck in a long deal if it is a failure. If great player for us maybe we re sign him with the expected higher salary cato2 years from now to another short term deal. Lots of Finns, lots of Russian players on team and in the system to make players of that nationality comfortable and interested in playing here.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Orlov good singing. Like that he wanted to come here. Like the short term so we have options when this contract up and Nikishin ready to come to NHL post his KHL finished.

Have a chance to try out Orlov to make sure it all works here without being stuck in a long deal if it is a failure. If great player for us maybe we re sign him with the expected higher salary cato2 years from now to another short term deal. Lots of Finns, lots of Russian players on team and in the system to make players of that nationality comfortable and interested in playing here.

This is a good point.

Orlov, Svechnikov and Kochetkov could be quite the welcome party for Trikozov, Nikishin, Grudinin, etc.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Yes, but lots of Finns and lots of Russians in the same place without any snipers is really strange. Don has got to get us a sniper or two to make this work.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Yes, but lots of Finns and lots of Russians in the same place without any snipers is really strange. Don has got to get us a sniper or two to make this work.
1688427904250.png

And I know he's Swedish.

Man did I botch that post. :help:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, admittedly, there are times when I overreact to things involving the Canes and just vent on here. But this isn't one of them. And I don't attack people for their opinions, I just express my own.
To be fair, I never attacked you. I disagreed that everything “broke our way” because of losing Svech and Patches and you started accusing me of semantics, and then said what my “underlying problem” is and said I have a “pathological need”.

I’m not offended by that, but those statements are much more “attacking” than anything I wrote.

It’s all good. I like the give and take. Just don’t act like a victim.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
To be fair, I never attacked you. I disagreed that everything “broke our way” because of losing Svech and Patches and you started accusing me of semantics, and then said what my “underlying problem” is and said I have a “pathological need”.

I’m not offended by that, but those statements are much more “attacking” than anything I wrote.

It’s all good. I like the give and take. Just don’t act like a victim.

But things actually did "break our way", after not breaking our way by losing Svech and Patches. Events are a continuum of things. And we had a chance when that happened. And then the Florida goalie thing happened. So, really, I get it, and I'm not arguing that a guy who played 3 games for us and never should have been viewed as the savior plus a #2 overall pick who hasn't lived up to scoring expectations wouldn't have made much of a difference- I'm just saying that with the league's best D, maybe not focus on getting all the D. That's all. Like maybe focus on getting Duchene. But really, not a huge deal. I'm not mad- Orlov is a great catch and all.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But things actually did "break our way", after not breaking our way by losing Svech and Patches. Events are a continuum of things. And we had a chance when that happened. And then the Florida goalie thing happened. So, really, I get it, and I'm not arguing that a guy who played 3 games for us and never should have been viewed as the savior plus a #2 overall pick who hasn't lived up to scoring expectations wouldn't have made much of a difference- I'm just saying that with the league's best D, maybe not focus on getting all the D. That's all. Like maybe focus on getting Duchene. But really, not a huge deal. I'm not mad- Orlov is a great catch and all.
This will be my last post on this. Right now it’s the off season, So we’re dissecting moves made in the off season. Last off season, we had Svech and Pacioretty on the squad and expected to have them in the playoffs last season, but we didn’t. That hurt our chances. Neither were a savior, but we expected to have them in the post season in July of last year. Those were bad breaks regardless of what happened to BOS and NYR.

Right now, our roster isn’t set. We will likely trade a defenseman and bring in a F. Until we see the final roster, I’m not going to complain.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This will be my last post on this. Right now it’s the off season, So we’re dissecting moves made in the off season. Last off season, we had Svech and Pacioretty on the squad and expected to have them in the playoffs last season, but we didn’t. That hurt our chances. Neither were a savior, but we expected to have them in the post season in July of last year. Those were bad breaks regardless of what happened to BOS and NYR.

Right now, our roster isn’t set. We will likely trade a defenseman and bring in a F. Until we see the final roster, I’m not going to complain.
Fair enough. Agreed.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Now the important stuff:

Wonder why #7? Why not #81 like for Russian national team or in that Mass hole city? Wish they would allow Orlov to wear #9. I know I know, it’s for Gordie.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
See the signing of Mendel, Griffin

"He's 6'6 Tom.... TELL ME WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY BIG D!!1one!"
I traded for Hamilton, I traded for Hakanpaa, I signed Mendel, I signed Orlov. What do you want?

DeAngelo back!? Oh…

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Bump after game 1.

Way too early to make any kind of judgments here. I wonder if Orlov is so used to being "the guy" on defense that it will take time to adjust to our more "ensemble" approach as a Hurricane. A lot of his dipsy doodling will work great, but he turned the puck over too much in his first game.

I loved to see his passion for the game. With him and DeAngelo, we have 3 pairs that would be first units on like 15 NHL teams.

I'm curious also if this ensemble approach will work. On paper we look great, but we often hear of elite defenders like Burns, Karlsson, Niedermayer wanting to get 25 minutes to "feel" the game right. Can Orlov and co adjust to looking elite when playing 20 minutes as opposed to 25? It's a legit question. I think Skjei, Pesce, and Slavin can easily play 16 and can easily play 26 minutes and still look good. Last year Burns played 23:12 and Pesce/Slavin/Skjei each about 22. I don't think that can happen again this year.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad