Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Dmitry Orlov 2 x 7.75M

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Orlov has been great the last month + and especially when paired with Chatfield. Really zero complaints. And it must be a pretty damn big adjustment (in managing his mindset) for him to be playing only 16 minutes per game (each of the top 4 are above 20) after averaging around 22 the last 6 years... Having Orlov and Chatty on our 3rd pair will really be absolutely huge in the playoffs. Aside from ST struggles I think one of our biggest issues in the playoffs in recent years was having a weak 3rd pair that opposing teams could exploit by controlling the matchups when we're on the road. The "luxury" of having a player of Orlov's caliber on the 3rd pair should take care of that.

Also as much as it seems like this deal was purely a bridge to Nikishin, depending on how things play out with Skjei/Pesce/Chatfield as UFAs this year, I could see us keeping Orlov around past this contract. Certainly not at this cap hit or anywhere near it, but he's starting to fit in really well now that he's adapted to the system.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Orlov has been great the last month + and especially when paired with Chatfield. Really zero complaints. And it must be a pretty damn big adjustment (in managing his mindset) for him to be playing only 16 minutes per game (each of the top 4 are above 20) after averaging around 22 the last 6 years... Having Orlov and Chatty on our 3rd pair will really be absolutely huge in the playoffs. Aside from ST struggles I think one of our biggest issues in the playoffs in recent years was having a weak 3rd pair that opposing teams could exploit by controlling the matchups when we're on the road. The "luxury" of having a player of Orlov's caliber on the 3rd pair should take care of that.

Also as much as it seems like this deal was purely a bridge to Nikishin, depending on how things play out with Skjei/Pesce/Chatfield as UFAs this year, I could see us keeping Orlov around past this contract. Certainly not at this cap hit or anywhere near it, but he's starting to fit in really well now that he's adapted to the system.

He's as advertised by the folks who told us about him. Really good, loves to fire the puck, prone to a silly boneheaded mistake every now and then. Is he worth his cap hit? No - he was never going to be. The point was that we had the luxury of paying him what we're paying him to really beef up the defense. In hindsight, was that the best decision? Meh. I still think we thought Pesce would be gone and Orlov was his indirect replacement. But after the worst start you could possibly imagine I think he's adjusted very well and there have been several games where Orlov-Chatfield have been the best pairing on the ice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad