Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Dmitry Orlov 2 x 7.75M

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Was just checking out the Canes cap situation and it looks like they’re going to need to move pretty significant salary to get Svech off IR no?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
IR is not LTIR
Well technically, there is Injured Reserve and then there is Long-Term Injured Reserve Exception allowing the team to exceed the cap to replace the player. When the player is deemed fit to play, his time on IR ends and the cap Exception ends with it.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well technically, there is Injured Reserve and then there is Long-Term Injured Reserve Exception allowing the team to exceed the cap to replace the player. When the player is deemed fit to play, his time on IR ends and the cap Exception ends with it.
Yeah but in terms of what we are discussing, Svech currently counts against the cap in places like CapFriendly, so it's not what people typically think LTIR is... We don't have to clear space to bring him back as currently constructed, which SDPR incorrectly stated when discussing the Benning addition yesterday

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah but in terms of what we are discussing, Svech currently counts against the cap in places like CapFriendly, so it's not what people typically think LTIR is... We don't have to clear space to bring him back as currently constructed, which SDPR incorrectly stated when discussing the Benning addition yesrery
Yes. It's just that everybody always talk of someone being in LTIR. Just wanted to clear out, more as a PSA than to yourself, that such a thing does not in fact exist in the actual CBA vocabulary (separate of the regular IR) and that LTIR exists only as part of the term "LTIR Exception" to the cap. And I bungled it.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think the borg has earned the benefit of the doubt the last several years. Many moves has most of us unimpressed at first and in hindsight were borderline genius…
Yeah, you're right. I guess I just have to get on board with the strategy of "let's just be real smart about all the contracts and make the playoffs every year and you never know what could happen", which they are great at. It's just that this was the year where everything broke in our favor in the 1st round and still look what happened. Orlov is great and all but I can't help but to wonder why they couldn't have signed Matt Duchene instead of letting the Stars do it.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yeah, you're right. I guess I just have to get on board with the strategy of "let's just be real smart about all the contracts and make the playoffs every year and you never know what could happen", which they are great at. It's just that this was the year where everything broke in our favor in the 1st round and still look what happened. Orlov is great and all but I can't help but to wonder why they couldn't have signed Matt Duchene instead of letting the Stars do it.

Probably because they operate under a very similar philosophy as Trots operates when he made his first move to get Duchene as far from his locker room as possible, damn the costs.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
there's an intentional strategy going on here with positional priority and the concept is that if you have 3 pairings of Top 4 defenders, it can mitigate your depth scoring being below average. the simultaneously frustrating thing about that is your farm system should help you here, especially with what we have let die on the vine in terms of 1st and 2nd round picks. you have to work those kids in at some point and see how their progression is going and if they're better NHL role players than AHL stars. if we could get drury, pony, rees, etc. taking some of those bottom 6 spots with an upward mobility mindset we might be able to find a bunting or two of our own down there.

I love these two guys and they were fantastic in the playoffs, but do you think a team that is really balls out going for it like the Devils, Florida, or Vegas would have Martinook, Fast, Stastny, Noesen, and Stepan out there for 25 minutes a night? Even Puljujarvi was pushing it.

this "shoot from the blueline and work work work" system plays well in the regular season when circumstances catch teams unprepared for the pace and flat footed, but you don't get that in the playoffs much. when that fails and we need creativity, we just can't find it in those bottom lines. we're having to run clock waiting for our good lines.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
there's an intentional strategy going on here with positional priority and the concept is that if you have 3 pairings of Top 4 defenders, it can mitigate your depth scoring being below average. the simultaneously frustrating thing about that is your farm system should help you here, especially with what we have let die on the vine in terms of 1st and 2nd round picks. you have to work those kids in at some point and see how their progression is going and if they're better NHL role players than AHL stars. if we could get drury, pony, rees, etc. taking some of those bottom 6 spots with an upward mobility mindset we might be able to find a bunting or two of our own down there.

I love these two guys and they were fantastic in the playoffs, but do you think a team that is really balls out going for it like the Devils, Florida, or Vegas would have Martinook, Fast, Stastny, Noesen, and Stepan out there for 25 minutes a night? Even Puljujarvi was pushing it.

this "shoot from the blueline and work work work" system plays well in the regular season when circumstances catch teams unprepared for the pace and flat footed, but you don't get that in the playoffs much. when that fails and we need creativity, we just can't find it in those bottom lines. we're having to run clock waiting for our good lines.
At the same time, we just need one shooter and everything changes. You flip Skjei or Pesce for someone who can reliably put puck in net, even if its at the detriment to his defensive game (like a Nylander or Laine) we are going to be a deadly team to play against. It would change the entire dynamic of our offense, and we kind of saw that play out a little in the games where Patches played this year. We're already incredibly good, but we're dangerously close to being an elite powerhouse, and not many are able to see that right now. One move could really change everything and push us all the way over the top

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Svech went down after the TDL which I know you know. Dont you think he could have contributed a goal or 2 in the ECF? That would have changed the whole complexity of the series

Also before the PO started there was a lot of talk around here of " well with the injuries making out of the first is a great accomplishment." Then after they put the Isles put it was "well that was fun but the Devils will sweep them because of injuries."

Stranglry that turned to "damn it Borg, this was out year!!!!!"

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Defensemen play more minutes than forwards and teams carry less of them than forwards. It’s more realistic to achieve having good defensemen on the ice the entire game than good forwards on the ice the entire game. That’s how I imagine the borg think of it anyway

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Defensemen play more minutes than forwards and teams carry less of them than forwards. It’s more realistic to achieve having good defensemen on the ice the entire game than good forwards on the ice the entire game. That’s how I imagine the borg think of it anyway
Yeah but by that same thought, goalies play the most mins, and we moneypuck in that spot arguably more than any other

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn’t call not having Svech and Pacioretty for the playoffs “everything breaking in our favor”.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Is this Orlov fellow nasty like the Bunting guy? If they have signed two nasty guys I can see that moving the needle come playoff time.

I wouldn’t call not having Svech and Pacioretty for the playoffs “everything breaking in our favor”.
Well, in my mind, that was before the playoffs. Then, strangely, during the playoffs things broke in our favor.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, in my mind, that was before the playoffs. Then, strangely, during the playoffs things broke in our favor.

You said “and look what happened”. A big component of what happened is we struggled to score against a hot goalie. So not having 2 guys that are goal scorers is a big reason that it happened. You can’t separate the two because it’s convenient. There is a direct relationship.

Reactions: geehaad

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
team loses 2 of 3 projected top scorers for playoffs, makes ecf anyway, people say "stop building the team wrong"

jfc it never ends

to me, we are at the point of precision tuning a well-oiled machine. this isn't an indictment of the moves as much as a bit of confusion based on not losing alone, but how we lost those games. being clinically unable to score after failing to add a single significant option at the deadline. it's not just this year, either. it's been something that is creeping up on being a bugaboo for this batch of players to have had 5 years in a row of favorable conditions (especially the last 3 years) and having the same key issue derail the train each time. they've built a .661 winner under RBA during the regular season and a .500 playoff club. 3 consecutive division titles. the concern starts to be how much we've left on the table as much as how much we have left to go. we can't use the hot goaltender excuse over and over. especially with as much as Bob was shredded in the next round against a team that could roll out a vicious mix of forwards and not just a line and a half and high effort glue guys. and after that observation, you go and buy defense? it just seems like an interesting allocation of resources. it feels like we're teetering on becoming the San Jose Sharks of the present era.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Svech went down after the TDL which I know you know. Dont you think he could have contributed a goal or 2 in the ECF? That would have changed the whole complexity of the series

Also before the PO started there was a lot of talk around here of " well with the injuries making out of the first is a great accomplishment." Then after they put the Isles put it was "well that was fun but the Devils will sweep them because of injuries."

Stranglry that turned to "damn it Borg, this was out year!!!!!"

That's funny because it's true, lol.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad